Report: Ecclestone says no to standing restarts in 2015

8 Comments

While standing restarts for 2015 had been confirmed a few weeks ago, Bernie Ecclestone has now said he’d like to see that change scrapped before it even enters Formula One.

Speaking to the German Auto Motor undΒ SportΒ on a host of topics post-the Hungarian Grand Prix (article is in German but can be translated), Ecclestone said these won’t enter the regulations.

“There will be no standing start after a safety car phase,” Ecclestone said. “What we have seen in Budapest, was good enough.”

Although there’s been talk at the moment of reforming F1 further beyond the raft of changes that have entered the sport in 2014 – rumors persisted over the weekend that disgraced ex-Renault boss Flavio Briatore would be brought in to help improve the show – Ecclestone said the sport rather needs a bit of fine tuning.

“We just want to operate fine tuning. All the stupid and unnecessary rules that have been added in recent years, it should be no more,” he said.

He also praised the race organizers in Hungary, who didn’t need to call a single penalty during the wet-dry race.

Bernie’s not the only one suggesting common sense, it seems. NBC Sports Group F1 pit reporter and insider Will Buxton wrote a blog piece Monday – titled “New Coke” – noting that F1 is trying to fix problems that don’t currently exist and whereby could have the adverse effects of damaging the brand, much like New Coke did in the mid-1980s.

Both the AMUS and Buxton blogs are worth a read. The question now here is whether Ecclestone’s wishes can be overruled and the standing restarts overturned before they are set to be introduced next season.

Lewis Hamilton comes home to Mercedes factory after fourth title

Getty Images
Leave a comment

On Monday, the Formula 1 schedule finally allowed teams to be in Europe before heading to Abu Dhabi for this weekend’s season finale.

And as such, that provided a window for now four-time World Champion Lewis Hamilton to return to the Mercedes AMG Petronas factories in Brackley and Brixworth to be celebrated for taking the driver’s title, as Hamilton an Valtteri Bottas delivered Mercedes its fourth straight constructor’s title.

Hamilton was at Brixworth, the home ofΒ Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrains (HPP) and its highly successful Mercedes-Benz Power Units first before heading to Brackley, where he was welcomed with a “guard of honor” as the entire team came out to greet him.

The champion was overwhelmed at the response and the welcome.

“This a very emotional day. I was not expecting this, thanks everyone for the warm welcome,” he said. “Today is something that I will never forget, turning up at the front gate of the factory and seeing everyone out on the street to welcome me – I’m blown away.

“This has been an incredible year, it’s been an incredible journey together. There’s a huge amount of respect and appreciation I have for everyone. I’ve been in the sport for a long time now, but to see the work ethic in Brixworth and Brackley really inspires me. Every time I come around, I see everyone operating at 100%, which encourages me to bring my best performance.

“Thank you all for helping me achieve my dreams, it would not have been possible without you. This is the best championship year, because we’ve been fighting another team and because we’ve had the difficulties and challenges we’ve had – that just makes it so much greater.”

A social roundup of images and videos are below, all via Hamilton and the Mercedes team on social media.