GregIvesCrop

Greg Ives to become crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. next season

12 Comments

Hendrick Motorsports has announced that Greg Ives will take over as crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. and the No. 88 team beginning next season, replacing the NBC Sports-bound Steve Letarte.

Ives currently serves as crew chief for Nationwide Series points leader Chase Elliott on the No. 9 JR Motorsports team. He also worked as a race engineer for HMS’ No. 48 Sprint Cup team during Jimmie Johnson’s run of five consecutive Cup championships from 2006-2010.

“This is an incredible opportunity for me and my family,” Ives said in a team release. “Dale Jr. and I have a great relationship from being in the same shop at Hendrick Motorsports and my time at JRM.

“We have a lot left to do this season in the Nationwide Series, but I’m excited about what’s ahead and look forward to sharing some wins with JR Nation in the future. I couldn’t ask for a better situation than working with one of the best drivers and teams in racing.”

Ives will work directly with No. 48 crew chief Chad Knaus in the same shop that the 48 and 88 teams share. Before joining JRM late in 2012, Ives and Knaus collaborated on 42 Sprint Cup wins over a seven-year span.

In his own comments, HMS team owner Rick Hendrick indicated that Ives’ familiarity with Earnhardt (who co-owns JRM with Hendrick) and Knaus was critical to him getting the nod.

“Greg was our number-one choice,” Hendrick said. “This is a talented guy who already has a terrific rapport with Dale Jr. and is a fit with the organization.

“He and Chad had a lot of success together, and all of our crew chiefs think the world of him and what he’s accomplished. Greg’s proven that he can win races, and he has all the tools to do big things.”

In 2013, Ives guided JRM’s Regan Smith to a pair of wins (Talladega, Michigan) and a third-place finish in the Nationwide Series standings before moving over to work with Elliott, the 18-year-old son of former Sprint Cup champion Bill Elliott.

So far this season, Ives and Elliott have put up impressive results in Nationwide with three wins (Texas, Darlington, Chicagoland), eight Top-5s and 13 Top-10s. Going into Saturday’s race at Iowa Speedway, Elliott holds a four point lead over Smith in that series’ championship.

Elliott has tweeted his congratulations to Ives on his new opportunity:

As for Earnhardt, he hailed Ives as “a strong leader with a cool personality” and a competitive streak that matches his own.

“It was important to find someone who would fit at Hendrick Motorsports and inside our shop, and he will for sure do that,” said NASCAR’s most popular driver. “We got the best guy for the job, and I look forward to working with him next year.

“From a JR Motorsports perspective, I’m extremely proud of how this worked out. Since the end of 2012, we’ve focused on JRM and Hendrick Motorsports working together as closely as possible and developing talented people for the next level. This is a perfect example of that happening the way we hoped it would.”

Earnhardt later tweeted that he and his team “couldn’t be more excited” about Ives coming on board next year, but also stressed that there’s still lots of racing to do this year.

Simon Pagenaud had The Force with him in winning IndyCar championship

The Force was definitely with Simon Pagenaud when he won the Verizon IndyCar Series championship on Sept. 18.
(Getty Images)
Leave a comment

So, Simon Pagenaud DID have an extra advantage when he won his first Verizon IndyCar Series championship on Sept. 18.

Pagenaud had The Force with him – no, we’re not talking about NHRA legend John Force – but rather The Force from Star Wars.

Our friends at IndyCar.com revealed in a story Wednesday that Pagenaud was part of a Verizon-sponsored advertisement for the popular “The Star Wars Show” on YouTube.

Show hosts Andi Gutierrez and Peter Townley tried to draw a connection between IndyCar racing and the popular Star Wars movie franchise.

“Star Wars is all about things going fast, spaceships (and) pod racers,” Townley said.

Added Gutierrez, “Right, it’s a natural connection.”

They interviewed Pagenaud at Sonoma Raceway, where the French driver would go on to win the championship later that weekend.

“I love this racetrack because it’s very difficult to get right,” Pagenaud said. “It’s quite slippery. You might experience up to 4Gs. Unleash the beast inside of you – and use The Force.”

See, we told you Pagenaud had an extra advantage.

It’s not surprising that Sonoma Raceway caught the attention of the show, given that George Lucas’ famed Skywalker Ranch is only about 20 miles from the racetrack.

Speaking of which, in one of the strangest Star Wars trivia contests we’ve ever heard of, both Townley and Gutierrez were peppered with questions about the film series while they “toured” the 2.385-mile racetrack at speeds of around 110 mph.

In addition to giving the answers, there was quite a bit of screaming from the hosts during the ride, with IndyCar driver Gabby Chaves and Indy Lights pilot Zach Veach serving as chauffeurs in the two-seat INDYCAR Experience car.

Who knows, maybe the next Star Wars film may include Indy cars in it instead of pod racers or TIE fighters. And instead of a lightsaber, maybe they could use the buttons on an IndyCar steering wheel to shoot all the menaces of The Empire.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

New York, Montreal switch dates on revised Formula E calendar

Formula E New York Press Conference Event.
New York, New York, USA.
Tuesday 20 September 2016.
Photo:  / FE
ref: Digital Image _L5R5688
© Formula E
Leave a comment

The planned Formula E races in New York City and Montreal have swapped dates on a revised calendar for the all-electric series’ third season issued by the FIA on Wednesday.

On the first calendar issued by Formula E over the London ePrix weekend in July, Montreal was slated for July 15-16 with New York set on July 29-30.

The New York race was officially launched last week, but no date was set amid ongoing discussions regarding its best placement.

Following a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council this week, a revised calendar for season three has been revealed with New York moving to the July 15-16 weekend.

Montreal now becomes the season finale on July 29-30, with both races remaining double headers and subject to the track being homologated.

The calendar also sees the removal of the two ‘TBA’ rounds, understood to be Singapore and London, leaving a 12-race calendar set for season three.

The new campaign starts in Hong Kong on October 9.

2016/17 Formula E calendar

1. Hong Kong – October 9
2. Marrakesh – November 12
3. Buenos Aires – February 18
4. Mexico City – April 1
5. Monaco – May 13
6. Paris – May 20
7. Berlin – June 10
8. Brussels – July 1
9. New York – July 15
10. New York – July 16
11. Montreal – July 29
12. Montreal – July 30

FIA confirms new wet start procedure for Formula 1 in 2017

MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 29:  The safety car drives ahead of the field including Daniel Ricciardo of Australia and  Red Bull Racing, Nico Rosberg of Germany and Mercedes GP and Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain and Mercedes GP and Sebastian Vettel of Germany and Ferrari  during the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix at Circuit de Monaco on May 29, 2016 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco.  (Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
1 Comment

The FIA has confirmed a new wet start procedure for Formula 1 from the 2017 season, as approved by the World Motor Sport Council at its meeting this week.

Following criticism of races starting behind the safety car in heavy rain that denied fans the chance to see a proper standing start, the FIA will tweak the sporting regulations accordingly.

“A new procedure regarding wet weather starts was accepted,” a statement from the FIA reads.

“From 2017, if a safety car is deemed to be required for the beginning of a race due to wet weather, a normal standing start will occur once the track is deemed safe to race.

“The process will see the safety car return to the pit lane and the cars assemble on the grid for the start.”

The change will be in force from next year’s season-opening Australian Grand Prix on March 26, as confirmed on the provisional calendar also announced by the FIA on Wednesday.

Other changes approved by the WMSC at its meeting include a relaxing of the ban on helmet designs, an end to stockpiling of power unit components and a standard issue of tires for the early part of the season.

“Drivers must continue to present their helmets in substantially the same livery at every event of the FIA Formula 1 World Championship for easy recognition of the driver in the car,” the FIA statement reads.

“However a driver will now be allowed one event (such as a home race) for a special livery (at the driver’s choice). Drivers will also be allowed to change their helmet liveries if changing teams during the season.

“During any single event, if a driver introduces more than one of a power unit element that is subject to penalty, only the last element fitted may be used at subsequent events without further penalty. This is to prevent the stockpiling of spare power unit elements.

“For the first five events of the 2017 Championship season only, the normal team selection procedure for tires will not be used as the deadline occurs before pre-season testing.

“For these events the supplier will allocate two sets of the hardest compound specification, four sets of the medium compound specification and seven sets of the softest compound specification to each driver.”

You can read the full statement from the FIA here.

WMSC approves provisional F1 calendar for 2017 season

HOCKENHEIM, GERMANY - JULY 31: Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain driving the (44) Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team Mercedes F1 WO7 Mercedes PU106C Hybrid turbo leads at the start during the Formula One Grand Prix of Germany at Hockenheimring on July 31, 2016 in Hockenheim, Germany.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

The FIA has announced the provisional calendar for the 2017 Formula 1 season following the latest meeting of the World Motor Sport Council.

The WMSC has approved a 21-round calendar for 2017 that follows a similar structure to the 2016 schedule, with three races still subject to confirmation amid ongoing discussions over contracts.

The 2017 season will start a week later than 2016 on March 26 in Australia, before the Chinese Grand Prix two weeks later.

Bahrain moves from round two of the season to round three, forming an early-season back-to-back with China.

The Monaco Grand Prix will once again clash with the Indianapolis 500 on May 28, while the races in Canada and Azerbaijan are back-to-back once again. The race in Montreal is subject to confirmation.

Just as it did in 2016, July features four grands prix before the summer break, the final race of the month being the German Grand Prix, provisionally slated to be held at Hockenheim on July 30.

The Malaysian Grand Prix switches dates with Singapore, becoming the first flyaway round after the stint of European races, while the United States Grand Prix is now a standalone event at the Circuit of The Americas on October 22.

Mexico now shifts to November 5 as the first part of a double-header with the Brazilian Grand Prix (also subject to confirmation) before the season finale in Abu Dhabi on November 26.

Provisional 2017 Formula 1 calendar

1. Australia – March 26
2. China – April 9
3. Bahrain – April 16
4. Russia – April 30
5. Spain – May 14
6. Monaco – May 28
7. Canada – June 11*
8. Azerbaijan (European GP) – June 18
9. Austria – July 2
10. Britain – July 9
11. Hungary – July 23
12. Germany – July 30*
13. Belgium – August 27
14. Italy – September 3
15. Malaysia – September 17
16. Singapore – October 1
17. Japan – October 8
18. USA – October 22
19. Mexico – November 5
20. Brazil – November 12*
21. Abu Dhabi – November 26

* subject to confirmation