Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying

Lauda hits out at Marko over Vettel to Mercedes rumor


The 2014 edition of Formula 1’s ‘silly season’ is proving to be one of the most intriguing and frankly silly yet. Why? Because we’re already making predictions about the grid for the 2016 season.

Much of the driver market is thought to revolve around McLaren’s seats, with Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel just two of the drivers being linked to Woking. However, Vettel is also being chased by Mercedes according to Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko, even if Christian Horner says otherwise.

Niki Lauda has become the latest figure to chip in on the argument, and in his typical no-nonsense fashion, the Mercedes non-executive director has been pretty frank about the chances of Vettel joining the German marque as a replacement for Lewis Hamilton.

“We are already in touch with him [Hamilton] to renew his contract,” Lauda told Sky Sports. “All the speculation of bull*** Marko is absolute rubbish.”

Speaking to Sport Bild last month, Marko said that it was clear that Mercedes was chasing Vettel, saying: “Of course they target him, and they are not the only team. McLaren-Honda made Sebastian an outrageously high offer.”

With Hamilton closing in on a new contract with Mercedes and McLaren thought to be angling for either Fernando Alonso or Valtteri Bottas for 2016, Vettel does look set to stay with Red Bull for the time being. Although the defending world champions have struggled in 2014, team principal Christian Horner has no concerns about Vettel’s happiness.

“Well usually it’s the start of the silly season where he’s either going to Ferrari or Eric [Boullier] made him a big offer or maybe going to Mercedes,” he joked in Hungary. “So, we just wait to see which team it’s going to be.

“Sebastian is absolutely committed to the team. There’s no doubt at all that he’ll be with Red Bull next year and he’s enjoyed so much success with the team, he’s happy with the team and the team are very happy with him.”

Status targets 2016 GP2 title after GP3 exit

2015 GP2 Series Round 8.
Autodromo di Monza, Italy.
Sunday 6 September 2015.
Marlon Stockinger (PHL, Status Grand Prix) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP2 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _G7C2088
© GP2 Series
Leave a comment

Status Grand Prix has set its sights on winning the 2016 GP2 Series championship following its decision to close down its GP3 team at the end of the current season.

Earlier this week, GP3 issued a statement confirming its team roster for the next three seasons that featured new entries from DAMS and Virtuosi Racing.

However, both Carlin and Status did not appear on the list, signalling that both had opted to leave GP3 at the end of 2015.

Status first entered GP3 back in 2010, but only set up a GP2 team in 2015 after taking over the old Caterham Racing operation.

This will now become the main focus for the Irish outfit, though, as explained by team boss Teddy Yip Jr. earlier this week.

“Status Grand Prix has not renewed entry into the GP3 Series from 2016 onwards in order to maximize focus on our GP2 campaign,” Yip said.

“Having finished second in the team championship in the inaugural GP3 Series, we have enjoyed six successful years in the category collecting nine race wins, 26 podium finishes and vying for numerous team and driver titles.

“We are very proud to have given opportunities and achieved success with drivers such as Robert Wickens, Antonio Felix da Costa, Alexander Sims and our current GP2 race winner, Richie Stanaway.

“We now look forward to finishing the 2015 GP2 and GP3 seasons on a high before mounting a robust GP2 title campaign in 2016.”

Both GP2 and GP3 return from a one-month break next weekend in support of the Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix.

Hakkinen: Verstappen is already “a real pro”

during a media interview at the Shanghai Grand Theatre prior to the 2015 Laureus World Sports Awards on April 15, 2015 in Shanghai, China.
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Two-time Formula 1 world champion Mika Hakkinen has heaped praise upon Toro Rosso rookie Max Verstappen, supporting his decision to ignore team orders during last month’s Singapore Grand Prix.

Verstappen only turned 18 on Wednesday, but has already made a big impression on the F1 world during his first 14 races with his aggressive driving style and mature approach to racing.

In Singapore, Verstappen was told by Toro Rosso to let faster teammate Carlos Sainz Jr. go past, but refused to give up his position and eventually beat the Spaniard to finish eighth.

Writing in his Hermes blog, Hakkinen backed Verstappen’s decision to stay ahead and praised the Dutchman for his performances so far this season.

“A driver must be alert and keep track of what is happening around him at all times,” Hakkinen wrote. “That’s what Verstappen is. He does not simply let anyone pass if it’s not for the world championship, but only a few championship points.

“Verstappen is 18 years old, but the guy’s already a real pro. Young people are developing incredibly fast nowadays, and by that I don’t mean just drivers.”

Despite having more than half a season of F1 racing under his belt, Verstappen only gained his road driver’s license on his 18th birthday, having previously been under the age limit to drive a regular car in public.