Suspect in Michael Schumacher medical file theft found dead

3 Comments

A man that was arrested Tuesday in Zurich, Switzerland over the suspected theft of Michael Schumacher’s medical files has been found dead in a prison cell according to city prosecutors.

The Associated Press reports that the man was found hanged in the cell this morning. He was set to appear at a hearing and had denied any wrongdoing.

The man’s name has not yet been released but it’s been confirmed that he worked for the Rega air ambulance service.

Rega organized the seven-time Formula One World Champion’s recent transfer from a hospital in Grenoble, France to Lausanne, Switzerland, where he’s began rehabilitation after his skiing accident on December 29, 2013.

Early in July, Rega lodged a criminal complaint over the leak of Schumacher’s medical files while adding that it had no knowledge of any misconduct from its employees. Schumacher’s family also filed a criminal complaint as well.

A subsequent investigation by Zurich prosecutors yielded Tuesday’s arrest of the Rega employee. Those prosecutors have said that their initial findings indicate no one else was involved and the case is now likely to be closed.

In a statement, Rega CEO Ernst Kohler said that the company has been left “sad and speechless” by today’s news. Kohler added that the company is giving its condolences and support to his relatives.

Last month, Schumacher’s manager, Sabine Kehm, first released a statement saying that someone was trying to sell her client’s medical files.

Kehm also said that the family would pursue criminal charges and damages against any media outlet that chose to use the confidential records for publication.

Schumacher was put into a months-long, medically-induced coma shortly after sustaining severe head injuries in his skiing accident in the French Alps. The racing great woke up from the coma this past June.

Racing world reacts to Danica Patrick’s Daytona, Indy double news

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Here’s a sampling of quotes and social media reaction to Danica Patrick’s news announced earlier Friday that this would be her last full-time season as a driver, and that she’ll race in the Daytona 500 and Indianapolis 500 only in 2018.

This ends a full-time stretch in the top flights of NASCAR and IndyCar. She was in NASCAR from 2012 through 2017, and IndyCar from 2005 through 2011.

Her’s her own post on Twitter and Instagram.

Well…. 2018 Daytona 500 and Indy 500 here I come. 🙌🏼

A post shared by Danica Patrick (@danicapatrick) on

IMS President J. Douglas Boles

“We’re glad Danica plans to return to the Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil next May,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said. “Her final career start will make what’s already shaping up to be a terrific Month of May even more interesting for our fans.

“It’s also fitting that Danica is wrapping up her career at the place and in the race where she became a household name and captured the world’s attention in 2005 – the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis 500. We’re looking forward to seeing her back in an Indy car next May alongside all of the tremendous drivers of the Verizon IndyCar Series.”

NASCAR

INDYCAR