Cheez-It 355 At The Glen

Gordon’s power problem opens door for Dale Jr. to take Sprint Cup points lead


Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s 11th-place finish in today’s Cheez-it 355 at Watkins Glen International enabled him to take over the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship lead.

Hendrick Motorsports teammate Jeff Gordon entered this weekend’s race with a 17-point lead over Earnhardt. But after leading the first 29 laps of today’s 90-lapper, Gordon suffered a loss of power on his car at Lap 50.

Gordon was pushed to his pit box and after his crew made repairs, he was able to return to the track and eventually finished in 34th.

With that, Earnhardt leaves the Glen with a five-point lead over Gordon with four regular season races left.

Earnhardt cycled up to second behind HMS teammate and then-leader Jimmie Johnson by staying out under the Gordon caution.

Following the extended red flag at Lap 57, Earnhardt made a stop for four tires and fuel, which dropped him out of the Top 20. However, after the green flag came back out at Lap 60, he was able to start a late-race move towards the Top 10.

With less than 10 laps to go, Earnhardt finally returned to that bracket of the leaderboard. But two restarts within the final laps ultimately saw him drop back to his final result.

“The strategy bit us there,” Earnhardt said. “We probably should of come. [Crew chief] Steve [Letarte] and I think we probably should have come and got tires there.

“That last stop, a couple of guys on new tires beat us. We had a good fast car, real good speed – just got caught out on that strategy there and didn’t finish in the top five. We had a good enough car to.”

Meanwhile, Gordon said that he didn’t know the exact cause of what caused his car to lose power.

“It looks like we had a battery go dead, two batteries go dead,” Gordon said. “I didn’t see anything on the volts meter that stood out or anything really going on there that was alarming.”

However, Gordon was glad that such a problem occurred now than later on when it counts.

“…I would rather these things happen now so we can determine what caused it and make sure it doesn’t happen again, because you can’t have those kinds of things happen once this Chase starts,” Gordon said.

Grosjean after Abu Dhabi qualifying gearbox failure: “S*** happens”

ABU DHABI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - NOVEMBER 27:  Romain Grosjean of France and Lotus drives during practice for the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix at Yas Marina Circuit on November 27, 2015 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Romain Grosjean will start his final race for Lotus from 15th on the grid after a gearbox issue brought an early end to his qualifying session in Abu Dhabi on Saturday.

Grosjean makes his last Formula 1 start for Lotus this weekend ahead of his move to Haas F1 Team for 2016, and had hoped to add to his haul of 49 points so far this season.

However, the Frenchman will face an uphill struggle in Sunday’s race after a gearbox issue forced him to park his car at the side of the track during qualifying.

Grosjean had aborted his first run in Q2 after Lotus identified the issue on his car and told him to pit, but opted to send him back out with two minutes remaining.

It proved to be a vain attempt to get Grosjean through to Q3, though, as the problem reared its head once again and forced him to stop on the run down to turn eight at the Yas Marina Circuit.

After the session, Grosjean was disappointed that his final qualifying with Lotus had ended in such fashion, but remains hopeful of an improved performance in Sunday’s race.

In the second Lotus car, Pastor Maldonado outqualified Grosjean for just the second time in 2015 after finishing 13th in Q2.

The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 7am ET on Sunday.

Rosberg takes sixth straight pole position in Abu Dhabi

ABU DHABI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - NOVEMBER 28:  Nico Rosberg of Germany and Mercedes GP drives during final practice for the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix at Yas Marina Circuit on November 28, 2015 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Nico Rosberg will start the final race of the 2015 Formula 1 season from pole position after setting the pace during Saturday’s qualifying session in Abu Dhabi.

Rosberg posted a fastest lap time of 1:40.237 under the lights in Q3 to secure pole by three-tenths of a second, edging out Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton in the dying moments of qualifying.

After trailing Rosberg in FP2 and FP3, Hamilton bounced back in the first two stages of qualifying by beating the German driver, but was unable to carry this form over into the final shoot-out for pole.

Hamilton managed to wrestle provisional pole back by going one-tenth of a second quicker than Rosberg with his final Q3 lap, only for his teammate to respond and take pole by three-tenths.

The result marked Rosberg’s sixth consecutive pole position and sets him up perfectly for Sunday’s race at the Yas Marina Circuit.

Kimi Raikkonen finished as the best-of-the-rest for Ferrari, edging out Force India’s Sergio Perez for third place on the grid with an impressive last lap. Perez will start from P4 on Sunday ahead of Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo.

Valtteri Bottas led Williams’ charge in sixth place ahead of teammate Felipe Massa in eighth, as they were split by Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg. Daniil Kvyat and Carlos Sainz Jr. rounded out the top ten in Abu Dhabi.

Max Verstappen was unfortunate to miss out on a place in Q3 after being edged out by Sainz in the sister Toro Rosso by just four-hundredths of a second, leaving him 11th ahead of McLaren’s Jenson Button. Pastor Maldonado finished 13th for Lotus ahead of Felipe Nasr as both struggled for pace to get close to a Q3 berth.

Romain Grosjean will start his last race for Lotus from 15th on the grid after a gearbox problem cut his qualifying short. The team told Grosjean to abort his first flying lap because of the issue, and a vain effort to get him out late on ended with the Frenchman parking up at the side of the track.

The biggest shock in qualifying came in Sebastian Vettel’s exit after the German driver backed off on his final lap, mistakenly believing that he had already done enough to make it through to Q2. A quick last effort from Grosjean dumped the German out in Q1, leaving him 16th on the grid for the start of Sunday’s race.

Vettel was joined in the dropzone by McLaren’s Fernando Alonso after his final run in qualifying was ended by a puncture on his rear-left tire. The Spaniard finished 17th ahead of Sauber’s Marcus Ericsson, who also had an issue on his car, while Will Stevens and Roberto Merhi propped up the timesheets for Manor.

The result gives Rosberg a golden opportunity to round off a difficult 2015 season with a third straight win, and also means he will start 2016 with Ayrton Senna’s record of eight pole positions in a row within reach.

The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is live on NBCSN from 7am ET on Sunday.

Mercedes pushes for technical regulation clarification from FIA stewards

xxxx during practice for the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix at Yas Marina Circuit on November 27, 2015 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
© Getty Images
1 Comment

Mercedes has requested clarification of a number of technical rules from the FIA stewards in Abu Dhabi after flagging up possible ambiguities in the current regulations.

In a letter written by Mercedes technical chief Paddy Lowe to FIA race director Charlie Whiting last month, clarification is sought over restrictions on aerodynamic testing and wind tunnel usage in Formula 1.

Whiting responded to Lowe by saying: “I am unable to respond to your questionnaire, the questions of which do not fall within my remit but that of the competent bodies for binding interpretations (stewards)” and also refused the request for confidentiality.

Mercedes has therefore taken the matter to the stewards in Abu Dhabi, with a meeting planned after qualifying on Saturday. The stewards said that they will endeavor to deliver a decision ahead of Sunday’s race.

It is thought that Mercedes’ request for clarification relates to Ferrari’s relationship with the new Haas F1 Team that may have allowed the Italian marque to exploit existing loopholes in the regulations to aid the development of its own car.

Part of the document released by the FIA reads: “Mercedes considers there to be a number of existing ambiguities in Appendices 6 and 8 to the Regulations. It is possible that such ambiguity may be exploited by a team to give it a competitive advantage at any event, including at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2015, prior to the points being clarified by the stewards.”

It continues: “Resolution of the ambiguities is of the utmost importance to Mercedes as it is currently considering the possibility of collaborating with third parties on its testing programme, including the sharing of staff and knowledge, which it believes could be permitted under the current Regulations as drafted.

“It is understood by Mercedes that other Formula 1 teams may also be considering operating in a similar manner.”

The stewards will be able to offer a binding interpretation of the regulations to all teams racing in F1, and have invited all competitors to make their own submissions should they so wish.

You can read the FIA document in full here.

Mercedes takes up option on Ocon for 2016

2015 GP3 Series Round 9
Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Friday 27 November 2015.
Esteban Ocon (FRA, ART Grand Prix) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP3 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _G7C7600
© GP3 Series
Leave a comment

Mercedes has taken up its option on GP3 driver Esteban Ocon ahead of the 2016 season to make him a full member of its junior programme.

Ocon, 19, won last year’s FIA F3 European Championship ahead of current Toro Rosso driver and Formula 1’s unofficial rookie of the year Max Verstappen.

Having previously been on Lotus’ junior programme, Ocon was expected to move into GP2 for 2015, but his deal with the team fell through and prompted him to race for ART Grand Prix in GP3.

Mercedes announced back in May that it would be supporting Ocon for this season, with an option to make him a fully-fledged member of its junior programme at the end of the year.

In Friday’s FIA press conference, Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff confirmed that this option had been taken up, but that plans for Ocon and its other junior talent, Pascal Wehrlein, in 2016 are still to be finalized.

“We’ve taken up the option on him because he has been with us now, or has been following the DTM team for a while, has been the test driver in DTM and integrated well and he’s doing a very good job in GP3 as well and he’s somebody we’d very much like to have in the family,” Wolff said.

“This is why we’ve exercised the option. It doesn’t mean that we’ve found a solution for Pascal.

“The current driver market is a bit difficult because most of the teams have already announced their drivers and it need to be the right deal – but having taken up Esteban we are conscious that we need to find a suitable programme for both of them.

“It could well mean that it could eventually end up for both of them in a testing role, in a reserve driver role and in a DTM role – so it’s not done yet.”

Ocon enters the final race of the GP3 season on Sunday with a six-point advantage over Luca Ghiotto.