Sheriff: No evidence of criminal intent from Tony Stewart at this time

33 Comments

In a mid-afternoon press conference, Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Philip Povero said that as of now, there are “no facts in hand” to support criminal intent from Tony Stewart after he was involved in a fatal incident during a sprint car race Saturday night at New York’s Canandaigua Motorsports Park.

Povero also mentioned that the investigation was still ongoing and that multiple factors were being taken into account such as the condition of the track’s clay surface and the lighting of the Turn 2 area where the incident took place.

“There are no foregone conclusions made at this point,” Povero said of the investigation. “We’re looking for any information, any relative evidence, that will help us to come to a final determination as to why this happened.”

Stewart and Kevin Ward tangled during a 25-lap sprint car event and Ward ultimately spun out in Turn 2. Seconds after his car came to a stop, he exited it and walked down the track surface to confront Stewart as the race went under caution.

According to a press release issued last night by the Ontario County Sheriff’s Office, one car swerved to avoid Ward before Stewart’s car struck Ward and knocked him back 50 feet. Ward was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Povero has maintained that Stewart – who is not competing today in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series’ Cheez-It 355 at Watkins Glen International – is being cooperative with the investigation.

Additionally, Povero added that investigators traveled to WGI today in hopes of speaking with him or his representatives.

Stewart’s No. 14 team from Stewart Haas Racing is competing today with Nationwide Series driver Regan Smith serving as a substitute driver.

During the event, Stewart issued a statement saying that “there aren’t words to describe the sadness I feel” about Saturday’s incident and that his thoughts and prayers were with everyone affected.

Kubica, di Resta complete Williams F1 tests in Hungary

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta have both completed one-day tests for Williams in a 2014-spec Formula 1 car as part of the team’s evaluation for its 2018 line-up.

Williams is known to be considering a number of drivers to partner Lance Stroll at the team next year, including existing racer Felipe Massa.

Massa is thought to be going up against Kubica and di Resta for the 2018 drive, with the latter duo taking part in a private test at the Hungaroring in Budapest this week to aid the team’s evaluation.

After missing out on a 2018 Renault drive due to lingering questions about his physical condition six years after his rally accident, Kubica tested for Williams at Silverstone last week before getting back behind the wheel of the 2014 FW36 car in Hungary on Tuesday.

Kubica’s test was called “productive” by Williams, with the Pole handing duties over to Mercedes DTM racer di Resta on Wednesday.

Di Resta raced in F1 with Force India between 2010 and 2013 before returning to DTM, but made a surprise return at this year’s Hungarian Grand Prix with Williams when Massa was taken ill. Di Resta impressed on short notice, putting himself in contention for a full-time return to F1 in 2018.

Williams has one of the few remaining seats on offer in F1 for 2018, with Massa’s future known to be in question after a quiet campaign thus far.

The Brazilian had been due to retire from F1 at the end of last year, only for Williams to recall him after Valtteri Bottas’ late move up to Mercedes following Nico Rosberg’s surprise retirement.

Massa has made clear he would like to keep racing in F1 next year, but only if the deal is right and if Williams is determined to keep him.

While Massa, Kubica and di Resta appear to be the three leading contenders for the seat, Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe made clear in Japan there was a “large range” of drivers under consideration.

“You’ve probably seen a number of names that are floating around that we’re looking at, but honestly, the range is almost unlimited,” Lowe said.

“We will consider all ideas. We’re not in a super hurry to do so, and we’ll just make sure we land the best line-up we can.”