Formula E: Full-race simulations completed at Donington Park (VIDEO)

3 Comments

Roughly one month ahead of its inaugural race in Beijing, the all-electric FIA Formula E series has announced that it’s completed two full-event simulations at the UK’s Donington Park track.

According to the series, a temporary pitlane and pit boxes were assembled. For the second simulation, each of the 10 F-E teams (including American-based teams Andretti Autosport and Dragon Racing) ran all of their cars through two “non-qualifying” sessions, qualifying, and an endurance test.

Those were all run to the single-day race schedule that will be in place during the 2014-2015 season, which goes as follows:

  • Two morning, non-qualifying sessions of 45 minutes and then 30 minutes in length
  • A qualifying session split into four groups of five cars, with the order randomly selected beforehand
  • A race of approximately 60 minutes in length with the exact race distance determined on that day.

As part of the simulation, teams and drivers got to simulate a full standing start and pit stops, which will be quite different from the norm. In F-E, one mandatory stop must be made during the race by drivers in order for them to change to their second car.

Additionally, off-track matters such as credential procedures, operational/IT infrastructures, and television broadcasting were all tested as well.

“Putting on a major sporting event in the heart of cities around the world is a massive undertaking and requires careful preparation,” F-E CEO Alejandro Agag said in a statement.

“We want the Formula E Beijing ePrix to a fantastic spectacle, which is why we’re leaving nothing to chance by rigorously testing all the systems beforehand. Overall, we’re very pleased with how things went.”

F-E’s fifth and final preseason test session will take place next Tuesday, Aug. 19, at Donington Park. The first race of the year, the Beijing ePrix, will take place on Saturday, Sept. 13.

Hamilton: Abu Dhabi ‘the last race with good-looking cars’ in F1

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton believes that this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be remembered as the last race with good-looking Formula 1 cars ahead of the introduction of the ‘Halo’ cockpit protection for next year.

Officials from the FIA and F1 Strategy Group confirmed earlier this year that the Halo would be fitted to all cars from the 2018 season in a bid to improve safety standards, with the deaths of Justin Wilson and Jules Bianchi putting head protection high on the agenda for the series’ chiefs.

Hamilton has long made his opposition to the Halo clear, believing it will ruin the look of F1 cars, and echoed his thoughts ahead of the final Halo-less race in Abu Dhabi this weekend.

“It’s the last year of looking good I think in the cars. It’s the last race where the cars will look good,” Hamilton said.

“I think next year, it’s all downhill from there in terms of how they look.

“But safety will go up at least, and maybe it could be successful in some way.”

Hamilton’s F1 title rival Sebastian Vettel was less bothered about the change, believing the field will adjust and move on.

“The cars will look different next year. Everything I’ve seen so far looks different, but on the other hand it is something we all get used to,” Vettel said.

“But no doubt the cars look better now, but we’ll get used to it, and we’ll work on the aesthetics so it can be better. It is less of a big deal.”

Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo shared Vettel’s view, saying: “I don’t think it’s gonna be as dramatic as most people make it out to be.”