GP2’s Felipe Nasr pushing for F1 seat in 2015, says Sauber is “possible”

2 Comments

GP2 title contender Felipe Nasr has revealed that his management is in talks with a number of Formula 1 teams over a possible seat for the 2015 season following three years in the sport’s feeder championship.

Nasr currently balances his GP2 commitments with a reserve driver role at Williams Martini Racing, for whom he has run during a handful of practice sessions so far this season. However, he thinks that his best chance of a full-time driver lies away from the British team.

“It’s hard to get a place at Williams because the two drivers have done a good job and the team will not want to change that,” he told Brazil’s SporTV. “I will keep up with all of the teams and see what happens.

“Williams has given me a very good background on what to expect in F1. I participate in all of the meetings and I’m always on the team radio.”

The Brazilian said that Sauber is his best chance of a race seat in 2015, but sees little point in racing for Caterham or Marussia at the back of the grid.

“Conversations have begun already,” he said. “My management is looking around. Force India is difficult, but I think Sauber is possible.

“[Racing at the back is] almost like racing in GP2. In fact I think it would be better to continue in GP2 because you’re not burning yourself in F1.

“I’m not saying I want a great team, but a midfield one that gives me a position to fight for the points would be fantastic. I think it’s possible.”

Nasr will have to focus on pulling the GP2 championship battle back in his favor, given that Jolyon Palmer currently leads by over forty points. However, with four rounds and eight races to go, there is definitely still time for him to make up the difference and overhaul the Briton at the top of the standings.

Kubica, di Resta complete Williams F1 tests in Hungary

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta have both completed one-day tests for Williams in a 2014-spec Formula 1 car as part of the team’s evaluation for its 2018 line-up.

Williams is known to be considering a number of drivers to partner Lance Stroll at the team next year, including existing racer Felipe Massa.

Massa is thought to be going up against Kubica and di Resta for the 2018 drive, with the latter duo taking part in a private test at the Hungaroring in Budapest this week to aid the team’s evaluation.

After missing out on a 2018 Renault drive due to lingering questions about his physical condition six years after his rally accident, Kubica tested for Williams at Silverstone last week before getting back behind the wheel of the 2014 FW36 car in Hungary on Tuesday.

Kubica’s test was called “productive” by Williams, with the Pole handing duties over to Mercedes DTM racer di Resta on Wednesday.

Di Resta raced in F1 with Force India between 2010 and 2013 before returning to DTM, but made a surprise return at this year’s Hungarian Grand Prix with Williams when Massa was taken ill. Di Resta impressed on short notice, putting himself in contention for a full-time return to F1 in 2018.

Williams has one of the few remaining seats on offer in F1 for 2018, with Massa’s future known to be in question after a quiet campaign thus far.

The Brazilian had been due to retire from F1 at the end of last year, only for Williams to recall him after Valtteri Bottas’ late move up to Mercedes following Nico Rosberg’s surprise retirement.

Massa has made clear he would like to keep racing in F1 next year, but only if the deal is right and if Williams is determined to keep him.

While Massa, Kubica and di Resta appear to be the three leading contenders for the seat, Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe made clear in Japan there was a “large range” of drivers under consideration.

“You’ve probably seen a number of names that are floating around that we’re looking at, but honestly, the range is almost unlimited,” Lowe said.

“We will consider all ideas. We’re not in a super hurry to do so, and we’ll just make sure we land the best line-up we can.”