Jeremy Martin could clinch 250 Class Motocross championship Saturday at Indiana

1 Comment

Jeremy Martin entered the 2014 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship as an afterthought for many. Now, he can no longer be ignored.

Martin has been this season’s breakout rider in the 250 Class. It all started when he opened up the year with five consecutive moto wins – most of them coming in dominating fashion. Since then, the Yamalube/Star Racing/Yamaha rider has successfully overcome patches of adversity and now sits on the verge of a championship – one that he’s very likely to lock up this weekend in Indiana.

“The title would be a pretty big deal,” Martin said when we caught up with him at the track this week. “I always dreamed of winning an outdoor national championship as a kid, and to be able to make it happen would definitely be a dream come true. I’ll be pretty happy when that happens.”

Despite generating a lot of buzz with his rides in the latter half of the 2013 motocross season, Martin was overlooked in the 2014 championship discussion thanks to a deep field of riders in the 250 Class and a disappointing Supercross season. Being the underdog suits Martin just fine though.

“Honestly, I didn’t care to be in the discussion at all,” he said. “I figured, leave it for the other riders that want it and enjoy being in that limelight and being the center of attention. I’m more off in the shadows and like to do my own thing. I knew what I could do, and I wanted to go out and do it for myself, and it was pretty cool to be able to do that.”

Ten rounds into the season, Martin has racked up four overall victories and eight moto wins. It’s his consistency that has set him apart from the rest of the field though.

The end result is that he now holds a 66-point lead over Blake Baggett and a 74-point advantage over Cooper Webb with four motos left in the season. Martin could officially clinch the title as soon as the end of the first moto in Indiana – a victory for him, plus a sixth-place (or worse) finish for Baggett would be enough to get the job done.

“It hasn’t sunk in yet,” Martin said of his prospective championship. “Hopefully it will later, but right now we’ve got a job to do.”

As for the future, Martin has already re-signed with the Star Yamaha team for another two years. Barring a major disaster, he’ll enter 2015 as the defending champion in the 250 Class, but he doesn’t expect to feel any extra pressure riding with the #1 plate next season.

“It’s not gonna be any different than what it is now,” Martin said. “When you’re the guy leading the points every week, everyone’s gunning to beat you because they know they can’t afford to lose any more points to you. It’s gonna be the same – the only difference is the idea of knowing that you’ve got the #1 plate.”

Based on the way he’s handled the pressure this whole season, the rest of the field will have their work cut out for them if they want to take the title away from him next year.

Watch Martin attempt to secure the 250 Class championship on Saturday. Live streaming coverage of the Thor Indiana National begins at 10:30 a.m. ET with the second practice session, followed by the pre-show at 12:15 p.m. ET. First motos in both classes get underway at 1:00 p.m. ET, with second motos to follow at 3:00 p.m. ET. Watch the live stream via ProMotocross.com or NBC Sports Live Extra.

Di Resta to make shock F1 return in Hungary, replacing unwell Massa

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Paul di Resta will make a shock return to Formula 1 race action this weekend in Hungary, replacing Felipe Massa at Williams after the Brazilian was taken unwell.

Massa first showed signs of illness on Friday, visiting the local hospital in Budapest as a precaution before being given the go-ahead to take part in practice on Saturday morning.

Massa completed just 12 laps before coming into the garage and stopping, with doctors then reviewing him a second time and ruling him out.

This means di Resta, who has not started an F1 race in over three years and has never driven Williams’ 2017 car, will make a surprise return in qualifying and the race.

“After feeling unwell during practice in Budapest on Friday and Saturday, Felipe Massa will not drive for the remainder of the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend,” a statement from Williams reads.

“Felipe visited the medical centre and the MH EK Honvedkorhaz hospital for precautionary tests on Friday, after feeling unwell and dizzy during FP2.

“He was cleared to take part in Saturday’s practice session by the FIA medical delegate, but he felt unwell again during FP3 and has made the decision to withdraw from the weekend.

“Williams supports Felipe’s decision and the team will work with him to ensure he makes a full recovery, with a view to return to the race track for the Belgian Grand Prix.

“Following this decision, the team’s Reserve Driver Paul di Resta will drive alongside Lance Stroll for the remainder of the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend.”

More to follow.

Vasseur: ‘Good choice’ for Sauber to extend Ferrari F1 partnership

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Sauber Formula 1 chief Frederic Vasseur has explained the decision to cancel a planned technical partnership with Honda for 2018 and extend its long-running agreement with Ferrari.

Sauber has enjoyed an engine supply from Ferrari since 2010, but announced in April that it would be linking up with Honda for 2018 as part of an extensive technical partnership.

The deal hit the rocks following the departure of long-standing CEO and team boss Monisha Kaltenborn, with Sauber’s owners uneasy about teaming up with Honda given its public F1 struggles.

Ex-Renault F1 chief Vasseur was brought in to replace Kaltenborn, and moved to cancel the deal with Honda and secure a new agreement with Ferrari, as announced on Friday.

“Sauber and Honda signed a memorandum of understanding a couple of weeks ago but things move forward quite fast in our world,” Vasseur said.

“I think that the situation was a bit unclear also regarding the collaboration between McLaren and Honda and on our side the engine supplier had to find a solution for the gearbox. We had a deal with McLaren and the situation was a bit more complicated.

“On the other end, the collaboration with Ferrari is based on a long-term relationship and we had the opportunity to discuss with Ferrari to get the new-spec engine and I think it was a good choice and we found a mutual agreement with Honda to stop the collaboration.”

Vasseur believes the decision will help Sauber’s long-term growth, with the team currently lagging behind at the rear of the field following a period of uncertainty.

“The short term, that will be difficult to achieve something. It’s a long-term project for sure,” Vasseur said.

“But I think the basics are there. The facility is impressive compared to the other teams. I think we are in a good move. The wind tunnel is a good one and the team, I think that Sauber is still in F1 an iconic name and there is a real team spirit, quite comparable to the team spirit I had last year at Enstone.

“Everybody is really dedicated, pushy, and now that the financial structure is stabilized I think we can have some hope for the future.”

Vettel quickest as Ferrari pulls clear in final Hungary F1 practice

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Sebastian Vettel headed up a Ferrari one-two in final Formula 1 practice for the Hungarian Grand Prix on Saturday morning, the Italian marque pulling clear of rivals Red Bull and Mercedes at the Hungaroring.

After seeing Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo lead both of Friday’s practice sessions, Vettel was able to vault to the front of the pack with an unofficial lap record, laying down an ominous pace heading into qualifying.

Vettel posted a fastest lap time of 1:17.017 to finish almost half a second clear of the pack, leading home Ferrari teammate Kimi Raikkonen at the head of the timesheets.

Mercedes drivers Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton tried in vain to try and match Ferrari’s headline pace, lagging to third and fifth respectively.

While Bottas was able to finish nine-tenths of a second off Vettel’s time, Hamilton was 1.4 seconds back, the pair being split by Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.

Friday pace-setter Ricciardo had a session to forget as he suffered a gearbox issue, forcing him to park up at the side of the track with just seven laps on the board, his time nevertheless good enough for P8.

Stoffel Vandoorne continued McLaren’s good weekend by finishing sixth-fastest, with teammate Fernando Alonso ninth overall. Renault also got both of its cars into the top 10 as Nico Hulkenberg and Jolyon Palmer finished seventh and 10th respectively.

Felipe Massa was forced to halt his running halfway through the session after being taken unwell again, putting his participation in the remainder of the race weekend in doubt.

Williams has Paul di Resta on standby as its reserve driver should Massa be declared unfit.

Massa cleared for Hungary FP3 despite Friday hospital visit

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Felipe Massa received late clearance to take part in Saturday’s final Formula 1 practice session for the Hungarian Grand Prix after a visit to hospital on Friday.

Massa was taken to the local hospital in Budapest following second practice at the Hungaroring after feeling unwell, putting his participation in the rest of the weekend for Williams in doubt.

The Brazilian was ultimately cleared by the FIA medical delegate, allowing him to take part in FP3 on Saturday morning, but he will be subject to another check-up ahead of qualifying.