JGR to hold ‘unprecedented announcement’ on Tuesday; will Carl Edwards’ signing be revealed?

1 Comment

The long-awaited confirmation of Carl Edwards’ move to Joe Gibbs Racing is expected to occur next Tuesday, August 19.

A press conference has been scheduled at JGR’s headquarters in Huntersville, N.C. that, according to a team media release, “this unprecedented announcement will have impact across four NASCAR racing series.”

If Edwards is indeed announced as the newest member of the JGR Sprint Cup team, he would join former Roush Fenway teammate Matt Kenseth, along with Denny Hamlin and Kyle Busch to make up a monster talent lineup.

It would also mark the finalization of several years of planning and hoping by JGR to become a four-car team.

It’s unclear who will be Edwards’ primary sponsors in 2015.

Also expected to be announced at the same press conference, according to Motorsport.com, is the naming of Daniel Suarez to drive for JGR in the successor to the Nationwide Series next season.

(Nationwide Insurance is leaving as series sponsor after this season; a new series sponsor has yet to be named.)

Suarez, 22, is a graduate of NASCAR’s Drive for Diversity program. A native of Monterrey, Mexico, Suarez is the current leader of the NASCAR Toyota Series in his native country. He’s earned four wins in nine starts this season.

Last season, Suarez won three of 15 races and finished second in the Toyota Series, preceded by finishing third in 2012, winning two of 14 races.

He’s also competed in 12 of 13 races this season on the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East, with two wins and is currently ranked 13th (he finished third in the K&N Series last season).

Suarez made his first NNS start earlier this year at Richmond, qualifying 12th and finishing 19th.

Given JGR’s announcement that Tuesday’s press conference will impact four NASCAR racing series, Edwards will obviously cover the Sprint Car aspect of it, while Suarez will impact the Mexico Toyota, K&N East and NNS.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Verstappen doesn’t want F1 season to end after recent run of form

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Max Verstappen says he is not ready for the 2017 Formula 1 season to come to an end after enjoying a run of strong form through the closing stages of the campaign.

Verstappen endured a rocky run of form through to the end of the European season that saw him suffer a number of reliability issues and score just a single podium finish, taking third in China back in April.

However, the Dutchman has rallied to score more points than any other driver in the last five races, including victories in Malaysia and Mexico, as well as a podium finish in Japan.

Verstappen heads into next weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix chasing a third win of the year to sign off, but joked he does not want the season to end just as he’s got into a good groove.

“We will, of course, try and end the season with a strong result in Abu Dhabi,” Verstappen said. “Last year was actually quite a good race after skipping a pit stop following a spin at Turn 1, it was hard to manage the tires to the end of the race but we did it and finished fourth.

“I would say that my favorite part of the track is at Turns 2 and 3, the fast left, right. It’s also very cool driving underneath the hotel and racing in the darkness with all the lights.

“The final sector at Yas Marina is actually quite technical so you have to be really precise there, but it should also be our strongest part of the track.

“There are quite a few overtaking opportunities to make the race interesting, before the long straight at the hairpin and then at the end of the straight under braking for the next chicane section.

“Abu Dhabi is the last race on the calendar, but I don’t actually want the season to end. I’m really fired up at the moment and I just want to keep going.

“The nice thing will be to spend some time with friends and family over the winter break and then I will look ahead to January and get back into training before it all starts again.”