Indy Lights: Dixon, Hinch to test new car; Belardi confirms 2 for 2015

1 Comment

Two bits of Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires news came through on Friday that we neglected to hit at that point, so here they are:

DIXON, HINCH GET NEW CAR TEST

While youngsters Tristan Vautier and Conor Daly are the primary testers of the new Dallara IL-15 Indy Lights chassis, and both of them have already sampled the new car to this point, two Verizon IndyCar Series veterans will also have the chance to drive it next month.

Both Scott Dixon and James Hinchcliffe – each is an Indy Lights veteran and Dixon is a past Indy Lights champion – will test the car on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course Sept. 5-6.

“I’m excited to see the new car and the direction the series is taking,” said Dixon. “It’s a very important stepping-stone on the road to the Verizon IndyCar Series. I look forward to driving the new car at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course and hope to help with the ongoing development.”

Added Hinchcliffe, “It is always fun being part of something new, and helping to develop this race car is a cool opportunity so I was excited when I got the call from T.C. to be a part of it. I am a big believer in the Lights series; racing in Indy Lights made me the driver I am and prepared me to step up to the Verizon IndyCar Series. I think this new car is a big step in revitalizing the series. Being in on the ground level and helping to push the series in this direction is something I am looking forward to.”

BELARDI OFFICIALLY SIGNS UP FOR 2015

To clarify a post from earlier this week, the 8Star Motorsports to Indy Lights announcement was a notice of the team’s intentions to enter the championship. However, Belardi Auto Racing has confirmed it has placed deposits on two new chassis for 2015, and thus Brian Belardi’s squad will be present for the new season.

“I’m extremely pleased with what Dan Andersen has accomplished in providing stability for the Mazda Road to Indy, but he’s also been aggressive in moving Indy Lights into the future, and we’re behind him 100%,” Belardi said in a team release. “I also have great faith in Dallara and the recent results of the new car testing have been phenomenal. I attended the test at Mid-Ohio and was happy to see the car’s anticipated performance levels be confirmed on-track. I’m thrilled for next year and I’m excited knowing that we’ll have two cars on the grid, and possibly more.”

Belardi has run points leader Gabby Chaves the full season, while alternating Alex Baron and Axcil Jefferies in the second car throughout 2014.

Racing world reacts to Danica Patrick’s Daytona, Indy double news

Leave a comment

Here’s a sampling of quotes and social media reaction to Danica Patrick’s news announced earlier Friday that this would be her last full-time season as a driver, and that she’ll race in the Daytona 500 and Indianapolis 500 only in 2018.

This ends a full-time stretch in the top flights of NASCAR and IndyCar. She was in NASCAR from 2012 through 2017, and IndyCar from 2005 through 2011.

Her’s her own post on Twitter and Instagram.

Well…. 2018 Daytona 500 and Indy 500 here I come. 🙌🏼

A post shared by Danica Patrick (@danicapatrick) on

IMS President J. Douglas Boles

“We’re glad Danica plans to return to the Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil next May,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said. “Her final career start will make what’s already shaping up to be a terrific Month of May even more interesting for our fans.

“It’s also fitting that Danica is wrapping up her career at the place and in the race where she became a household name and captured the world’s attention in 2005 – the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis 500. We’re looking forward to seeing her back in an Indy car next May alongside all of the tremendous drivers of the Verizon IndyCar Series.”

NASCAR

INDYCAR