Canandaigua Motorsports Park gets back to racing, remembers Kevin Ward Jr.

1 Comment

One week after the fatal sprint car crash that involved Tony Stewart and left Kevin Ward Jr. dead, Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park resumed racing on Saturday night.

Many in attendance Saturday at CMP wore orange, one of the primary colors of Ward’s No. 13 sprint car. Persistent showers cut the racing schedule short, but several tributes to Ward were still made.

According to the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle’s report, drivers and crew members bearing orange glow-sticks formed a horseshoe. Additionally, a No. 13 sign was unveiled near CMP’s Turn 2.

After cancelling Wednesday’s schedule, CMP announced that they would go back racing on Saturday after track promoter Jeremie Corcoran consulted with Ward’s family.

That gesture won the respect of Webster, New York resident Brandon Lewis, who told the D&C that while he didn’t know Ward personally, he wanted to go to CMP and pay his respects.

“Not a lot of promoters and owners get a hold of the (victim’s) family, talk to the staff about re-opening,” Lewis said to the paper. “The guy in charge talked to his own family (for guidance).

“That tells you that they respect the situation and not all about the money. That’s big for me.”

Last Saturday at CMP, Ward was struck by Stewart’s car after Ward walked down the racing surface to apparently confront the latter driver following an on-track incident. Ward was later pronounced dead on arrival at a local hospital.

The local community said goodbye to Ward on Thursday in a funeral service that took place at the same high school he graduated from just a couple of years ago.

As for the investigation into the crash, it remains ongoing as the Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff’s Department continues to gather all information regarding the tragedy.

Stewart, the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion, is not competing in today’s Pure Michigan 400 at Michigan International Speedway.

For this race, Cup veteran and NBC Sports analyst Jeff Burton will drive Stewart’s No. 14 Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet.

MRTI: Juncos signs Carlos Cunha for Pro Mazda campaign

Photo: Juncos Racing
Leave a comment

Juncos Racing continued to bolster its entries in the Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires by signing Carlos Cunha to pilot a third Juncos Pro Mazda entry for 2018. Cunha, who finished third in the 2017 Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda season on the back of seven podium finishes, joins Rinus VeeKay and Robert Megennis in Juncos’ Pro Mazda lineup for 2018.

Cunha previously tested with the team at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in October and joined Juncos for the Chris Griffis Memorial test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in November, testing cars for both the Pro Mazda and Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires teams.

“It’s great to become a part of Juncos Racing,” said the 18-year-old Cunha. “I am really excited to start the 2018 season with Juncos Racing. This fall we did some testing together and from there I was able to see how focused everyone on the team is and I even felt like I became a part of their family in no time. I am confident we will get great results together next year and I look forward to learning and growing more with the team. It will be a huge pleasure and also a great responsibility to carry the number one on my car, thanks to (2017 Pro Mazda champion Victor Franzoni) and I hope to deliver it back to the team at the end of the year!”

Team owner Ricardo Juncos added, “We are excited to add Carlos to our Pro Mazda lineup. From the moment we started testing with him in early October, we knew he would be a great fit for our team. Carlos has been very quick in testing and even had an impressive showing in the Indy Lights car at the Chris Griffis test back in October. He had a great run this past season in the Pro Mazda series and we are confident he will carry that momentum into the 2018 season.”

Follow @KyleMLavigne