EdwardsBiffle

Edwards joins a number of NASCAR drivers in leaving “home” for fresh challenge

2 Comments

Kevin Harvick at Childress. Matt Kenseth at Roush. Joey Logano at Gibbs. Dale Earnhardt Jr. at DEI. And countless others.

All were staples in their first organizations as they entered the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, as they contended for titles and grew as drivers, and as people.

But almost no good thing lasts forever, and as time passes, drivers often need to leave the team that provided them their upbringing for greener pastures and a fresh start.

The last two years, Harvick and Kenseth have capitalized on their change of scenery.

For Harvick, a 13-year stint at Richard Childress Racing brought many wins and several top-five finishes in the championship, but no titles. There were a handful of moments of dysfunction along the way, but Harvick remained committed during his final season, even knowing he was leaving for Stewart-Haas Racing this year.

Kenseth spent his upbringing and his first 13 seasons at Roush Racing, which then became Roush Fenway, with a 2003 title under his belt. But he soon saw the positives that could come with a switch – the timing was right at Gibbs when Logano, who hadn’t maximized his potential at JGR, left the team and headed to Team Penske. Kenseth nearly won the title in his first season at Gibbs, as a regular race winner, and runner-up in the 2013 championship.

Logano, who’s still only 24, has flourished at Penske the last two seasons. It’s taken a bit longer for Earnhardt Jr. to hit his stride at Hendrick, but in 2014, he’s in the midst of his best season in the last decade, and a serious title contender.

Which brings us nicely to Carl Edwards, whose long-awaited move from Roush to Gibbs – where he will reunite with former teammate Kenseth – was officially announced this morning.

Edwards raced for Roush in the Nationwide and Truck ranks before moving up midway through 2004 to the Cup level, then replacing Jeff Burton. By 2005, he was already a race winner and title contender. He’s been a consistent title contender for most of the last decade, but for various reasons, has never quite been able to seal the deal.

He’s flirted with the move away from Roush before. Edwards joked to Motorsport.com’s Lee Spencer during Tuesday’s press conference, “I’d like to thank you for breaking this story three years ago.”

But Edwards, the 2014 version, is almost at a point where he had to move.

Certain teams have a way of ebbing and flowing within the NASCAR garage, and to put it succinctly, Roush Fenway has been on a downhill trend for the last several years. We chronicled the fall-off period earlier this year.

Edwards either had the choice of staying put and continuing with RFR, or grasp a well-timed new opportunity that will allow him a new period of growth with teammates Kenseth, Denny Hamlin and Kyle Busch.

Gibbs, too, is Toyota’s leading organization – Roush had fallen behind Penske in the Ford pecking order and performance charts of late.

“I’ve spent my career as a driver there for 10 years,” Edwards said. “At this time in my life, my career, this is something that would let me reach my goal. I have had some amazing conversations. Looking across the landscape of the sport, everyone’s spoken to Joe, JD and this organization and what they can achieve. For all the good things, I’m very excited to work with them.”

Kenseth’s 2013 success after switching caught Edwards’ eye.

“To be honest, Matt’s sucesss was a big eye opener for me,” Edwards said. “Being able to be around new guys and learn from them. Like I said earlier, I just felt it was time to change. For me, this is something, I woke up this morning and I’m excited to be a part of it.”

We’ll see how revitalized Edwards will be come 2015 in his new digs.

Indy’s unsung heroes: RRDC hails Holmatro Safety Team (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

In this video produced by the Road Racing Drivers Club SAFEisFAST initiative, we take a look behind the scenes at the Verizon IndyCar Series’ unsung heroes: the Holmatro Safety Team.

You’ve heard about their heroic efforts over the years, particularly with saving James Hinchcliffe’s life last year in Indianapolis.

But how do they do what they do? This video explains it.

Red Bull, Aston Martin partnership continues into 2017

GAYDON, ENGLAND - JULY 05:  Daniel Ricciardo of Australia and Red Bull Racing talks on stage at the Aston Martin and Red Bull Racing Project AMRB 001 Unveil on July 5, 2016 at the Aston Martin Headquarters in Gaydon, England on July 5, 2016 in Gaydon, England.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The partnership between Red Bull Racing and Aston Martin will continue into 2017, Red Bull confirmed on Tuesday.

Branding on the Red Bull Formula 1 chassis will continue, while bigger news has come in terms of the AM-RB 001 hypercar.

Red Bull and Aston Martin announced that all 150 road-going cars of the 175 cars built (the other 25 are track-only specials) have been sold and customer deliveries will begin in early 2019.

An AM-RB 001 prototype is expected to run for the first time by the end of this season.

“We first conceived our Innovation Partnership with Aston Martin in the realization that it could be truly pioneering,” said Christian Horner, Red Bull Racing team principal.

“In blending our distinct but unique skills under a shared creative vision, we have already seen tangible development to both of our brands and businesses. The extraordinary success of the AM RB-001 is testament to the expert and collaborative spirit in which it was forged, and extending our relationship with Aston Martin through 2017 was a simple and pleasing decision.”

Aston Martin President and CEO Andy Palmer added,  “By bringing together the talents of Red Bull Racing and Aston Martin, AM-RB 001 is destined to become the defining hypercar of this decade and a hugely desirable investment for collectors and enthusiasts.

“Our relationship with Red Bull Racing has done for Aston Martin exactly what we expected it to do,” he continued. “It is helping us to continue to build our brand across the globe. Partnerships like this are good for business both in terms of technical innovation and brand awareness, so we are pleased to continue into 2017.”

FIA WEC Prologue changes date to avoid Papal visit clash

VATICAN CITY, VATICAN - FEBRUARY 14:  Pope Francis attends a meeting with engaged couples from all over the world gathered today, on the feast of St. Valentine, in St. Peter's Square   on February 14, 2014 in Vatican City, Vatican. During the event, organised by the Pontifical Council for the Family, Pope Francis emphasised that living together is 'an art, a patient, beautiful and fascinating journey' which can be summarized in three words: please, thank you and sorry.  (Photo by Franco Origlia/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The FIA World Endurance Championship Prologue has shifted dates, moving from its originally scheduled March 24-25 date to April 1-2 still at Autodromo di Nazionale, Monza.

The reasoning is that His Holiness Pope Francis will be making an official visit to Monza on those dates. Naturally, organizational, security and logistical preferences will follow for that.

The European Le Mans Series continues as planned on March 28 and 29 with its preseason test.

For fans of clashes, two more have been created on account of this date shift. The FIA Formula E Championship race at Mexico and Blancpain GT Series season opener at Misano fall on the same weekend as the Prologue.

The full revised calendar (for the moment, and for the last time, we hope) is below.

Wolff on Alonso to Mercedes rumors: ‘You have to consider Fernando’

SAO PAULO, BRAZIL - NOVEMBER 13:  Fernando Alonso of Spain and McLaren Honda walks in the Paddock during the Formula One Grand Prix of Brazil at Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace on November 13, 2016 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.  (Photo by Adam Pretty/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Toto Wolff has responded to speculation about Fernando Alonso moving to Mercedes for the 2017 Formula 1 season by saying that officials at the team “have to consider” the Spaniard.

Just five days after winning his maiden F1 title with Mercedes in Abu Dhabi, Nico Rosberg shocked the motorsport world by announcing his immediate retirement from racing.

The news has left Mercedes in need of a driver for 2017, but after boasting the best car on the grid for the past three years, the seat is highly coveted.

Alonso has one year to run on his McLaren contract, but has been linked with the drive for 2017 as he looks to win his first World Championship since 2006.

Speaking to British broadcaster Sky Sports, Mercedes executive chairman Wolff said that Alonso had to be considered as a candidate for the seat, but acknowledged that the two-time champion remains under contract.

“You have to consider Fernando,” Wolff said.

“He’s a driver that I respect a lot, and combines the talent, speed, experience – it’s all there.

“But he’s in a contract with McLaren-Honda at the moment. We just need to weigh all the other options up.”

Whoever Mercedes opts to sign for 2017 will partner Lewis Hamilton, who said last week that he would not insist on having number one status at the team.

Wolff said that Mercedes would continue to operate with its equal chances philosophy between its drivers in 2017, regardless of who was signed.

“We will maintain the system like we had,” Wolff said.

“We will always have equal status for all drivers, give them equal opportunity to the best of our ability. I say that, meaning Abu Dhabi…

“I think we owe it to the fans and owe it to ourselves that you can’t have a pecking order straight from the beginning. It’s not what we’d like to see happening.”