Richmond International Raceway - Day 1

NASCAR: Mexican rising star Daniel Suarez moving up to Nationwide


The announcement we’ve been waiting for all summer has finally come down: Carl Edwards is moving to Joe Gibbs Racing.

But today’s also a big day for NASCAR Mexico Toyota Series and K&N Pro Series East product Daniel Suarez.

The 22-year-old from Monterrey, Mexico was also announced today to drive the No. 18 ARRIS Toyota Camry full-time in next year’s NASCAR Nationwide Series championship. Additionally, he’ll run select Camping World Truck Series events in 2015 as well.

Suarez, an alumnus of the NASCAR Next program, has had a busy 2014 already.

In addition to running full-time and maintaining the points lead in the Toyota Series (four wins, six Top-5s, six Top-10s), he’s also ran the majority of K&N East events this year (two wins, four Top-5s, seven Top-10s in 12 starts).

He also made his Nationwide Series debut this past spring in a one-off for JGR at Richmond International Raceway, finishing 19th.

“This is crazy…This is a dream come true,” Suarez said today at JGR headquarters in North Carolina. “I can’t thank Joe Gibbs Racing enough for their confidence and support in a young driver from Mexico that’s just 22 years old. Also, I can’t thank ARRIS enough for their confidence.

“This is amazing. I can’t wait to learn from all of these guys.”

Suarez’s Nationwide Series program will be supported by the Escuderia TELMEX project, which helps many Mexican drivers and their programs across multiple motorsports disciplines.

Most prominent among those are: Memo Rojas and Chip Ganassi Racing’s program in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship; Sergio Perez of Sahara Force India and Esteban Gutierrez of Sauber in Formula One; and German Quiroga in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.

Escuderia TELMEX will also partner with JGR in its diversity program, intending to help develop Mexican and Latin American drivers in NASCAR racing.

“Daniel is here because he has the fight to be here,” Carlos Slim Domit, co-founder of Escuderia TELMEX and Chairman of the Board of Grupo Carso, said today at JGR. “It has been his life. He has given all of his effort possible to reach his dream.

“When we spoke with him when he was very, very young, we said, ‘How do you want your career to develop? Do you want to go to formula cars?’ He said, ‘No, my life is in stock [cars], and I’m going to be the first Latin champion in history in a [Sprint] Cup car.’ Today, he’s starting to reach that dream.”

After starting out in karting, Suarez began his NASCAR journey in 2008 by racing in what’s now known as the Stock V6 Series in Mexico. In 2010, he moved up to the main Toyota Series and won Rookie of the Year honors despite not running a full season.

The next year saw him go full-time in the Toyota Series and also make his debut in the American-based K&N East series. He’s competed in both leagues ever since, going as far as running a full schedule in each of them last year; Suarez finished second in Toyota Series points and third in K&N East points.

Bird, Stanaway and Evans receive LMP1 rookie test invites

LONDON, ENGLAND - JUNE 28:  English driver Sam Bird of Virgin Racing during first practice on the second day of the 2015 FIA Formula E Visa London ePrix Championship at Battersea Park Track on June 28, 2015 in London, England.  (Photo by Charles Coates/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Sam Bird, Richie Stanaway and Mitch Evans have been invited to the end-of-season LMP1 rookie test in Bahrain following impressive outings in the FIA World Endurance Championship this season.

As part of the series’ drive to nurture and develop young talent, a single day of testing is scheduled at the Bahrain International Circuit one day after the 2015 WEC season ends, and will be attended by Audi, Toyota and Porsche.

In a statement issued by the WEC, it was confirmed that Bird, Stanaway and Evans had received the invites for this year’s LMP1 rookie test after “having shown the best performance, determination and race skills during 2015.

“Each of the prototype manufacturers will test with at least one LMP1 car, and each of the drivers chosen will be given the opportunity to complete at least 30 laps with one manufacturer. The LMP1 manufacturers may also use the time on track to test additional drivers if they wish.”

Bird has enjoyed a successful 2015 season, winning races in both the WEC with LMP2 team G-Drive and in Formula E with Virgin Racing. The former Mercedes junior driver will test with Toyota in Bahrain.

Stanaway has also been mixing single-seater and endurance duties this year, racing in both GP2 and the WEC with Aston Martin Racing in GTE Pro. He will step up to test with Audi.

Despite only taking part in two WEC rounds this season, Evans has made enough of an impact to grab the attention of the series promoter and earn an invite to the rookie test. The New Zealander has been Mark Webber’s protege for some time, making it somewhat unsurprising that he will now test with Porsche alongside his mentor in Bahrain.

“This first rookie test is a fantastic opportunity for these three up-and-coming endurance drivers to test an LMP1 prototype, the most technologically advanced race cars in the world,” WEC CEO Gerard Neveu said.

“We looked in depth at drivers from within the world of endurance racing before making the selection, and believe that Sam Bird, Mitch Evans and Richie Stanaway fully deserved the opportunity to demonstrate their talent and potential.

“This rookie test will give drivers an added bonus to their season, and forms an important element in the progressive career path available within the endurance family.”

The rookie test takes place on November 22, one day after the end of the WEC season.

Sainz airlifted to hospital following practice crash

xxxx during final practice for the Formula One Grand Prix of Russia at Sochi Autodrom on October 10, 2015 in Sochi, Russia.
© Getty Images
1 Comment

Carlos Sainz Jr. has been airlifted to hospital after a big crash during the final free practice session for the Russian Grand Prix on Saturday morning.

Under braking at turn 13, Sainz lost the backend of his Toro Rosso car, causing him to hit the left-hand wall before slamming into the TecPro barrier at the end of the run-off area.

The session was immediately red flagged as medical crews tended to Sainz, taking 20 minutes to extricate him from the Toro Rosso car due to how it had pitched under the barrier.

FIA media delegate Matteo Bonciani told reporters: “The driver is conscious and is still in the process of being extricated. When we know something, we will let you know.”

After being extricated from the car, Sainz was taken away on a stretcher before being placed in an ambulance, giving a thumbs up to let fans know that he was okay. He is also reported to have been talking to doctors in the medical centre after the crash.

Sainz has now been airlifted to hospital for further checks, and is set to miss qualifying later today, with Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost telling BBC Sport: “To sit him in the car immediately seems a bit risky, but we will wait and see.”

Toro Rosso has now issued the following statement:

“Following Carlos Sainz’s accident during FP3 today in Sochi, the driver is perfectly conscious and was able to talk to the extrication team. Once out of the car he was taken to the circuit Medical Centre, where he underwent an initial assessment of his condition.

“He has now been taken by air ambulance to the Sochi Hospital 4. Investigations on the reasons for the accident will take place once the car is back in the team’s garage.

“Further information will be released by the team and the FIA to the media when it is available.”

Sainz sent out a tweet from hospital confirming that he was okay following the shunt, and is now working to get back onto the grid for tomorrow’s race.