Andre Lotterer confirmed for Caterham debut at Spa


Andre Lotterer will become the first driver in 20 years to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans and compete in a Formula One Grand Prix in the same season (Yannick Dalmas, 1994).

Lotterer, the 32-year-old German, has inked a deal to make his Formula One debut with the Caterham team this weekend in the Belgian Grand Prix, replacing Kamui Kobayashi. Earlier this week, Autosport’s Jon Noble reported Lotterer was linked to the team that now features Colin Kolles and Christijan Albers, two people Lotterer worked with in sports cars.

“I am delighted to be given the opportunity to take part in a Formula One race weekend – I want to thank Caterham F1 Team for this chance,” Lotterer told Sky Sports. “I’m ready for this challenge and I cannot wait to jump in the car and make the most out of the weekend ahead.

“I will need to get settled and used to the car quickly, as the team has worked on a number of updates and we will need to have as much time as possible out on track to optimise the car’s performance. I really enjoy racing at the legendary circuit of Spa-Francorchamps, it’s one of my favourite tracks and it’s very close to where I grew up, so this makes the weekend even more special and one to remember.”

To make this happen, Andrea Caldarelli will race in Lotterer’s place for this weekend’s Super Formula open-wheel race in Japan, and Audi has additionally given its blessing for Lotterer to race at Spa.

For Lotterer, it’s a rare dovetail back to F1 after a career that in 2002, saw him as a rising star as Jaguar’s test driver. But he never got the opportunity to race – the team had Eddie Irvine and Pedro de la Rosa in ’02 and swapped the veterans for then-young guns Mark Webber and Antonio Pizzonia in 2003.

Since, Lotterer has carved a successful single-seater career for himself in Japan, shifted to sports cars, linked up with Kolles’ customer Audi team in 2009 and earned a spot on Audi’s factory roster in 2010. He’s become a three-time Le Mans champion, co-driving to win with Benoit Treluyer and Marcel Fassler in each of 2011, 2012 and now 2014.

And now, Lotterer has the opportunity that “Mr. Le Mans” – Tom Kristensen, the nine-time Le Mans champion – never got. Kristensen tested but never raced in F1; Lotterer will now have a one-off opportunity to sample modern F1 technology, and compare it to the technological advances of his usual bullet in the FIA World Endurance Championship, the Audi R18 e-tron quattro.

Reaction to INDYCAR/NBC Sports Group announcement: Mario Andretti, Roger Penske, Bobby Rahal and social media

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Like countless others on the East Coast, Mario Andretti was fighting through a snowstorm Wednesday morning.

But emotionally and personally, it was a very bright and sunny day for the legendary Indy car driver.

In an exclusive interview with, Andretti spoke in glowing terms about this morning’s announcement of a multi-year media rights partnership between INDYCAR and NBC Sports Group beginning next year.

“I think this is awesome,” Andretti said. “It’s music to my ears and all of us. NBC has been very familiar with IndyCar racing, so they’re a great partner. I’m elated that it’s all nailed down, secured and I’m looking forward to the future.

“It’s also great for the young lads in Indy Lights coming on, and it’s great for all the sponsors to have that kind of exposure. It’s a good day for INDYCAR today.”

Andretti lauded the fact that all elements of INDYCAR coverage – TV, digital and streaming – will now be under one corporate roof, so to speak.

“Personally, I think it’s huge,” Andretti said. “Everybody is going to be very familiar with everything, the storylines are going to flow perfectly from event to event. There’s nothing like continuity.

“It’s okay sometimes if you have two networks, but to me, the best possible solution is this. That’s why I think this is really a great day for INDYCAR racing to have NBC involved and the continuity is huge for us.”

MORE: NBC Sports Group, INDYCAR partner on new TV and digital rights agreement starting in 2019

MORE: Optimism abounds with new INDYCAR media partnership


Several other high-profile individuals within the IndyCar community also gave their take on Wednesday’s announcement, including statements from team owners Roger Penske and Bobby Rahal.

Roger Penske: “As an industry, we are very fortunate to have the NBC Sports Group grow their presence and coverage of INDYCAR racing and really invest in the future of the sport. We believe there is a great deal of positive momentum in the Verizon IndyCar Series right now, from the development of the new race car, to the very talented group of young drivers and new teams coming into the sport this season.

“With the announcement of the enhanced broadcast partnership with NBC, it certainly adds to the excitement for the future. We know that the ways our fans are watching races and viewing INDYCAR content is rapidly changing, so staying ahead of the curve and the developing technology with our partners is important to the growth of our sport. We look forward to working with the NBC team to continue to build INDYCAR and take the sport in new directions.

“We also need to thank ABC and ESPN for all their terrific coverage over the years. The ABC network helped bring some of the most memorable moments in racing to life – including many of our team’s Indianapolis 500 victories – and we appreciate all of their hard work and passion for INDYCAR racing.”

Bobby Rahal: “It’s great news. I think the fact that the IndyCar Series will be under one roof, so to speak, network-wise can do nothing but great things for our sport. To increase to having eight races on network TV is also great news of course.

“The quality of the NBC broadcasts have gotten better and better over the last several years. They do a great job of providing interesting and entertaining content for the viewers and I think that will only continue to grow with the relationship going forward. That type of storytelling is also what helps bring new fans to the sport.”



Follow @JerryBonkowski