After 62 starts, Brad Keselowski finally earns first career Trucks win at Bristol

Leave a comment

Brad Keselowski has done quite a bit in his NASCAR career. He won the 2012 Sprint Cup championship (as well as 13 wins to date), the 2010 Nationwide Series title (and 30 wins to date).

But one thing the Michigan native had never done prior to Thursday is to win a Camping World Truck Series event.

Keselowski can finally scratch that off the bucket list, as in his 62nd career start in a truck, he dominated en route to victory in the rain-rescheduled UNOH 200 at Bristol Motor Speedway.

“He’s wanted this so bad for so long,” teary-eyed crew chief Doug Randolph told Fox Sports 1. “I’m just really excited for Brad. … I’m sure he’s relieved.”

Keselowski led 119 of the event’s 200 laps, holding off a late charge by Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. He becomes the 25th driver in NASCAR history to win in all three major series, Trucks, Nationwide and Sprint Cup competition.

“It’s huge, huge,” Keselowski said. “I’ve been wanting to win in this series for a long time. It’s been a long time coming.”

Later, in Victory Lane, Keselowski added, “My family has been a part of this series since the inception, and I feel like I have, too, either as a kid watching or now as a team owner and driver. I nearly went bankrupt in this series, trying to make it. … I’ve had all the success in the Cup series and Nationwide, but never here.

“It took a long time to get here and we made it and I’m thrilled. It’s great to win as a driver. … This is a special day.”

It was also the first win for a Ford truck this season.

Wallace was runner-up, followed by Ron Hornaday Jr., Matt Crafton and last week’s winner at Michigan, Johnny Sauter.

“We finished second. I wish we could take it back. I thought I got on his bumper pretty good getting into (turn) one and not enough,” Wallace said. “I’have had to wreck him to get by him (but) I respect Brad and what he does. Congrats to him. … We just came up short.”

Added Hornaday, “I had to burn the tires off, trying to catch those guys.”

Sixth through 10th were John Hunter Nemechek, followed by Joey Coulter, Cole Custer, Ben Rhodes and Corey LaJoie.

Jeb Burton was 11th, followed by Max Gresham, Ryan Blaney, German Quiroga Jr., Caleb Holman, Justin Jennings, Brennan Newberry, Tyler Young, Jimmy Weller III and Brandon Jones.

Pole-sitter Kyle Busch was the only other driver to lead a lap in the event, leading 81 laps, but wound up finishing six laps behind the leaders in 24th. Busch was running third with 24 laps to go when he slammed into the wall due to a flat right rear tire.

Busch led at the halfway point of the 200-lap event.

With 55 laps remaining, John Wes Townley got loose in the center of Turn 3 and triggered a multi-truck wreck, including those of Newberry, Brandon Jones, Justin Boston and Gray Gaulding.

In the season standings, Sauter retains the No. 1 spot, holding an eight-point edge over teammate Crafton. Hornaday remains in third, 17 points back, Ryan Blaney is 24 points in arrears and Wallace is fifth, 33 points back.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Plans for Alonso sports car debut in Rolex 24 gathering speed

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Plans for McLaren Formula 1 driver Fernando Alonso to appear in next year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona are gathering speed as the two-time World Champion angles for a drive at Le Mans in 2018.

Alonso announced on Thursday he had signed a new, multi-year deal to remain with McLaren in F1, but has left the door open to continue his pursuit of the Triple Crown of Motorsport and become just the second driver in history to complete it.

Alonso has won the Monaco Grand Prix twice and made his Indianapolis 500 debut this year, retiring with an engine issue, and has made no secret of his ambition to race at Le Mans one day.

With no date clashes, the possibility exists for Alonso to race at Le Mans in 2018, potentially with Toyota in the LMP1 class following McLaren’s split with Honda.

However, Alonso could make his 24-hour race debut five months earlier, with reports emerging on Thursday that he could be in line to appear in the Rolex 24 at Daytona in January.

First reported by Sportscar365, Alonso could be set to race for McLaren executive director Zak Brown’s team, United Autosports, at Daytona in January, with no clashes existing with his F1 commitments.

Alonso remained coy when asked about the chances of him appearing at Daytona, but admitted additional preparation for a possible Le Mans appearance would be of interest.

“For the Indy 500 it was a nice experience, I felt very competitive but it was a big challenge that I took from zero, from no testing, not any similar race before it,” Alonso said, as quoted by Reuters.

“If I want to prepare Le Mans, maybe there are other possibilities to prepare Le Mans a little bit better than I prepared the Indy 500.”

He added more about his other race program in Thursday’s pre-race Paddock Pass episode, speaking to NBCSN. “To be the best driver in the world you have to win in different series at different times. It’s possible I can compete in different races next year,” he said.

Brown said he would be happy to field Alonso at Daytona, and confirmed their pair had already loosely discussed it.

“If Fernando wants to do Daytona and we have a seat available, we would put his name on it happily,” Brown said.

“We’ve started joking around about it, and we saw where jokes got us last time,” he added, referencing the eventual entry to the Indy 500.

United Autosports will field two JS P217 cars at Daytona in January, and has already confirmed ex-F1 racer Paul di Resta, McLaren junior Lando Norris, American endurance racer Will Owen and Danish youngster Philip Hanson in seats.

McLaren reserve and 2009 F1 world champion Jenson Button had been linked with a drive for United Autosports at Daytona, but Brown confirmed to Sportscar365 this was no longer an option.

“Jenson won’t be driving for us. I don’t know what he’s going to be doing,” Brown said.

“I thought he was going to be in the Penske car. Not sure what happened there.”