Kenseth still in good Chase spot, but not out of woods yet

Leave a comment

Most observers think that Matt Kenseth is an assured lock to make the Chase for the Sprint Cup. While his involvement in a crash last week at Michigan took a chunk out of his points cushion, he’s still firmly in the 13th Chase Grid position and 58 points up on 17th place.

But without a win, he’s not completely safe.

However, Kenseth said today at Bristol Motor Speedway that he feels no need to choose between the two extremes of going for broke to get a win or simply focusing on building a bigger points gap.

“You finish as best as you can every week and you hope that’s a win,” he said. “The days that you have cars that are good enough to be up front and to win with, you hope you have everything else that goes along with that – you don’t make a mistake on the track, you don’t get caught up in a wreck, you qualify good enough, you have good pit stops, good strategy.

“You do all of those things to have a shot to win, but you take what you have every week and make the best you can of it, and finish as high as you can every week. If you can win every week, you’d do it.”

Kenseth figures that making the Chase wouldn’t really change that stance. Additionally, he didn’t exactly agree with the theory of already-clinched Chase teams looking ahead to the start of the post-season in September.

“If guys have already won, you get more bonus points for the first round if you can win again,” Kenseth said, referring to the three bonus points that each regular season win gives drivers for the first round of the Chase.

“There’s a lot of incentives to win races, so I don’t really buy the fact that any one’s folding it in and getting ready for the Chase, saying ‘OK, we don’t care about the next three weeks, we’re just gonna get ready to go race in a few weeks at Chicago.’

“I don’t know if I buy that. Plus, at a place like this, there’s nothing you’re gonna learn here that’s gonna apply to anywhere else we go to the rest of the year.”

Plans for Alonso sports car debut in Rolex 24 gathering speed

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Plans for McLaren Formula 1 driver Fernando Alonso to appear in next year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona are gathering speed as the two-time World Champion angles for a drive at Le Mans in 2018.

Alonso announced on Thursday he had signed a new, multi-year deal to remain with McLaren in F1, but has left the door open to continue his pursuit of the Triple Crown of Motorsport and become just the second driver in history to complete it.

Alonso has won the Monaco Grand Prix twice and made his Indianapolis 500 debut this year, retiring with an engine issue, and has made no secret of his ambition to race at Le Mans one day.

With no date clashes, the possibility exists for Alonso to race at Le Mans in 2018, potentially with Toyota in the LMP1 class following McLaren’s split with Honda.

However, Alonso could make his 24-hour race debut five months earlier, with reports emerging on Thursday that he could be in line to appear in the Rolex 24 at Daytona in January.

First reported by Sportscar365, Alonso could be set to race for McLaren executive director Zak Brown’s team, United Autosports, at Daytona in January, with no clashes existing with his F1 commitments.

Alonso remained coy when asked about the chances of him appearing at Daytona, but admitted additional preparation for a possible Le Mans appearance would be of interest.

“For the Indy 500 it was a nice experience, I felt very competitive but it was a big challenge that I took from zero, from no testing, not any similar race before it,” Alonso said, as quoted by Reuters.

“If I want to prepare Le Mans, maybe there are other possibilities to prepare Le Mans a little bit better than I prepared the Indy 500.”

He added more about his other race program in Thursday’s pre-race Paddock Pass episode, speaking to NBCSN. “To be the best driver in the world you have to win in different series at different times. It’s possible I can compete in different races next year,” he said.

Brown said he would be happy to field Alonso at Daytona, and confirmed their pair had already loosely discussed it.

“If Fernando wants to do Daytona and we have a seat available, we would put his name on it happily,” Brown said.

“We’ve started joking around about it, and we saw where jokes got us last time,” he added, referencing the eventual entry to the Indy 500.

United Autosports will field two Ligier JS P217 cars at Daytona in January, and has already confirmed ex-F1 racer Paul di Resta, McLaren junior Lando Norris, American endurance racer Will Owen and British youngster Philip Hanson in seats.

McLaren reserve and 2009 F1 world champion Jenson Button had been linked with a drive for United Autosports at Daytona, but Brown confirmed to Sportscar365 this was no longer an option.

“Jenson won’t be driving for us. I don’t know what he’s going to be doing,” Brown said.

“I thought he was going to be in the Penske car. Not sure what happened there.”