IndyCar: Newgarden confirmed for 2015 with merged CFH Racing

Leave a comment

SONOMA, Calif. – Josef Newgarden is at the end of his three-year deal with Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing at the end of this year, and now he’ll be moving over with the merged CFH Racing team in 2015.

Fisher’s group, which is merging with Ed Carpenter Racing next season, confirmed Newgarden has signed a one-year extension with an option for a second year. He’ll continue in the No. 67 car.

“Over the last three years, we have focused to build our team with Josef front and center, and we are extremely excited to continue that progress into 2015,” Fisher said in a team release. “In working with our guys, everyone is proud to build on the continuity that it takes to be successful in an increasingly competitive Verizon IndyCar Series.

“I know how much effort Josef and our team put toward being the best and am looking forward to delivering even more tools for them to work with at CFH Racing next year.”

Added Newgarden, “I’m really excited about the merger between Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing and Ed Carpenter Racing,” Newgarden said. “Wink and Sarah extending an offer to keep me around for another year is first and foremost. They are the ones who gave me an opportunity to start my IndyCar career, and I’m happy to continue that with them for another year.”

Fisher’s team partner, Wink Hartman, confirmed the team’s plans to continue with two cars.

“Sarah and I have the best of both worlds,” Hartman said. “Josef will be in the seat of the 67 car next year as we are now a two-car team. Continuing with Josef gives me great pride. He is the next star of the Verizon IndyCar Series.”

Carpenter, who spoke highly of Newgarden last week, looks forward to working with him.

“I am very happy that Josef has signed with CFH Racing,” Carpenter said. “I think he has shown great potential, and it is my hope that CFH Racing will help him fully reach his potential and that we can win many races together.

“I have seen Josef mature a lot over the past few years, and I really look forward to working with him and continuing his development. I see him as one of the premier talents in this series for the future, and we are very proud to have him on our team.”

The team has not yet confirmed whether it will use Honda or Chevrolet engines from 2015.

Newgarden will start second for today’s GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, 1 p.m. PT), behind Verizon P1 Award winner Will Power.

Formula 1: Recapping the past week’s news

Photo: Getty Images
Leave a comment

This past week in Formula 1 was dominated by teams launching their 2018 challengers for the 2018 FIA Formula 1 World Championship season.

A total of six teams took the covers off their new chassis for the world to see this week, joining Haas F1 Team and Williams Martini Racing in doing so.

The list below contains the teams that launched their 2018 chassis this week and the name of their 2018 chassis:

  • Red Bull Racing – RB14
  • Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team – C37
  • Renault Sport F1 Team – R.S.18
  • Scuderia Ferrari – SJ71H
  • Mercedes AMG Petronas – W09
  • McLaren F1 Team – MCL33

Testing for everyone begins on Monday at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, home of the Spanish Grand Prix, beginning a stretch of two weeks of pre-season testing prior to the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

Sahara Force India and Scuderia Toro Rosso are expected to unveil their 2018 cars the morning of the first day of testing.

Force India Up for Sale?

Rumors about the future of Sahara Force India, already rumored to be changing names soon, took yet another interesting this week as news surfaced about a possible sale of the team to British energy drink firm Rich Energy.

This news also comes as current majority team owner Dr. Vijay Mallya faces developing legal troubles involving money laundering, further adding to the murky environment surrounding a team that has become the “best of the rest” behind Mercedes, Ferrari, and Red Bull in recent years.

Follow@KyleMLavigne