Villeneuve: Verstappen’s promotion “the worst thing ever for F1”

3 Comments

Former F1 world champion Jacques Villeneuve has weighed in on the debate about Max Verstappen making his debut at the age of 17 next season, saying that it is “the worst thing ever” for the sport.

The outspoken figure spoke to Autosport about Verstappen’s promotion to a full-time race seat at Toro Rosso for 2015 after just one season in single seaters, and made his feelings quite clear.

“It is the worst thing ever for Formula 1 because it will have two effects: it will either destroy him or, even if he is successful right away, then F1 will be meaningless,” Villeneuve told the British publication.

“What will F1 be? It will be nothing. It doesn’t do any good for anyone. Getting a superlicense should be meaningful.

“There is something that is flawed there. Basically, it is like getting all the presents without deserving anything.

“But there is this thing of ‘the younger, the better’. What’s the next step? A team who will sign someone at 15 just to get the image out of it?”

Following the team’s announcement earlier this week, the paddock has been abuzz with talk about Verstappen and Toro Rosso. Most of the current drivers have said that they are happy to race against the Dutch youngster, but deemed it to be a risky move on the part of the team.

Red Bull’s chief technical officer Adrian Newey is not as concerned about Verstappen racing in F1, but fears that it may set a dangerous precedent as Villeneuve alluded to.

“I don’t think age per se is particularly important,” he said. “Over the years we’ve seen a huge spread in driver ages. Fernando is still one of the very top drivers but has been in it for many seasons.

“I think what is a much more concerning question personally is the effect on education that happens for these drivers to get there at that age. A lot of drivers in karting and in junior formulas frankly just aren’t going to school. They don’t go to school at all.

“It’s something which motor racing as an industry urgently needs to look at, because personally, I think we’re being irresponsible allowing that.”

BMW confirms IMSA, WEC GTE line-ups for 2018

BMW Motorsport
Leave a comment

BMW has confirmed its driver line-ups for the 2018 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and 2018/19 FIA World Endurance Championship campaigns.

In an announcement made at its end-of-year Sports Trophy event on Friday night, BMW firmed up its roster across its factory WEC team and its customer RLL Racing IMSA squad.

Two of the 2018 BMW M8 GTEs will enter the WEC next year, joining a hotly-contested GTE-Pro class that already features Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin and Ford.

BMW factory drivers Antonio Felix da Costa, Nick Catsburg, Augusto Farfus and Martin Tomczyk will share the two cars across the 13-month ‘super season’.

The quartet will be joined by Tom Blomqvist, Alexander Sims and Philipp Eng for the 24 Hours of Le Mans

In IMSA, the RLL Racing team will once again field Sims and John Edwards, who will be joined by the incoming Connor De Phillippi and Jesse Krohn.

BMW also confirmed on Friday night that Tom Blomqvist would see out the Formula E season with its Andretti-affiliated team, having been benched for Kamui Kobayashi in Hong Kong.