Kevin Harvick in a class of his own, dominates Atlanta NNS race

Leave a comment

HAMPTON, Ga. – Kevin Harvick made it look more than easy en route to victory in Saturday’s Great Clips 300 to Benefit Feed The Children at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Harvick dominated the event, leading 159 of the event’s 195 laps around the high-speed 1.5-mile track. It was his third career victory at AMS (and second in a row), and increased his supremacy to eight top-5 and 10 top-10 finishes overall in 13 starts there.

“Kevin’s really got this place figured out,” team owner Dale Earnhardt Jr. said after the race. “He just goes out and does his thing.”

There was just one lead change in the entire event: Harvick took the lead on Lap 37 from pole-sitter Chase Elliott (who led the first 36 laps) and never surrendered from that point.

What’s more, there were only two cautions in the race for 18 laps, with the first for debris and the second for rain around the two-thirds part of the event.

In 11 starts in the NNS this season, Harvick now has three wins (in the last six races), along with a pair of runner-up showings and nine overall top-5 finishes.

It also was his 43rd win in NASCAR’s junior series.

“This car was bad-fast from the drop of the green flag,” Harvick told ESPN in victory lane. “It’s just one of those racetracks that I love the challenge of what you get to do here.”

Harvick is hoping to make it back-to-back wins on Sunday in the Sprint Cup’s Oral-B USA 500 race at AMS. He has a great chance, as he’ll start from the pole position.

“I’m real happy with our Jimmy John’s car,” Harvick said of the No. 4 Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet that he’ll drive Sunday. “We just have to have it go all your way. These races are hard to win. We’ll just enjoy this one tonight and go from there.”

Joey Logano never led a lap in the race but stayed glued right behind Harvick to finish runner-up.

“I just ran out of time,” Logano said. “I wish we would have had another five, seven laps. Too little, too late. I guess we’ll just have to catch him (Harvick) tomorrow.”

Kyle Larson finished third, followed by Kyle Busch and pole-sitter Elliott.

“It started off real good,” Elliott said. “I made an unacceptable mistake near the end that cost us a couple of spots. My guys deserved better than that. My bad.

“I slid through my box, it’s as simple as that. I was just too far. It’s unacceptable. You can’t be doing that.”

Regan Smith was sixth, followed by Brian Scott, David Ragan, Ty Dillon and Elliott Sadler.

Matt Kenseth was 11th, followed by Trevor Bayne, Chris Buescher, Brendan Gaughan, Landon Cassill, J.J. Yeley, Mike Bliss, Ryan Reed, James Buescher and Ryan Sieg.

Elliott remains atop the NNS standings, leading teammate Regan Smith by 15 points after Saturday night’s race.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

F1/IndyCar clashes frequent for 2018 as schedules shape up

INDYCAR
Leave a comment

The latest meeting of the World Motor Sport Council may not have yielded much in the way of groundbreaking news, but the confirmation of Formula E and the World Endurance Championship’s 2018 schedules did help us get a grip on next year’s racing calendar.

Perhaps the most notable thing with next year’s schedules is the heavy reduction in clashes between the FIA’s three premier track championships – F1, Formula E and WEC – next year, making good on its plans for calendar harmonization moving forward.

WEC confirmed its ‘super season’ schedule earlier this month, stretching 13 months from May 2018 to June 2019, and added Silverstone last week, with the calendar gaining FIA approval in Paris.

Of the 2018 WEC rounds, there is just one clash with another FIA track championship: between the 6 Hours of Fuji and the F1 United States Grand Prix on the October 21 weekend.

While the more pressing worry for drivers is between WEC and Formula E after the July 16 debacle this year, no WEC and F1 clashes is good news for Fernando Alonso, who could well appear at Le Mans next year as part of his Triple Crown bid.

Formula E does have a number of F1 clashes, albeit not until the sixth event of its season, with the Rome race being held on the April 15 weekend where the Bahrain Grand Prix also sits (for now – China is due to swap dates).

Other Formula E and F1 clashes come on April 29 (Paris/Azerbaijan), June 10 (Zurich/Canada) and July 29 (Montreal/Hungary), although by shifting the New York City ePrix back one week to July 14-15, a gap has been found in the schedule.

For those operating across all three series (including yours truly), there is now a busy run between the start of the F1 season in Australia and the start of the summer break in Hungary with just three empty weekends.

As for IndyCar clashes? The condensed nature of the series’ schedule and the expansion of F1’s calendar to 21 races means they are inevitable. That said, as IndyCar is outside of the FIA’s realm of control, it was never really in the mix for its harmonization plans.

Yet again there is a clash between the Indianapolis 500 and the Monaco Grand Prix, sadly something we have become accustomed to in recent years, but over half the IndyCar calendar faces an F1 clash next year.

Here’s a full run-down of the F1/IndyCar double dip weekends:

April 7-8: Chinese GP, Phoenix Grand Prix
April 14-15: Bahrain GP, Grand Prix of Long Beach
May 12-13: Spanish GP, Indianapolis GP
May 26-27: Monaco GP, Indianapolis 500
June 9-10: Canadian GP, Texas 600
June 23-24: French GP, Road America GP
July 7-8: British GP, Iowa Corn 300
August 25-26: Belgian GP, Gateway 500
September 15-16: Singapore GP, Sonoma GP

Bahrain, China ‘on-track’ to swap F1 race dates for 2018

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Next year’s Formula 1 races in China and Bahrain are “on-track” to swap dates in order to maximize their local exposure, according to the sport’s commercial chief, Sean Bratches.

The provisional F1 schedule for 2018 lists the Chinese Grand Prix as the second round of the season, taking place on April 8, with the Bahrain Grand Prix taking place one week later on April 15.

However, plans are afoot to swap the races around due to the Qingming national holiday that is set to take place in China on the April 8 weekend, potentially having a negative impact on crowd numbers at the Shanghai International Circuit.

“We’re trying to take into account global events, local events, religious holidays and things to ensure we’re maximizing the opportunity for fans to attend the grands prix,” Bratches told Reuters.

“We’re talking to both of them to that end and if we can reach a mutually agreed upon solution, which appears to be on-track to happen, you’ll probably see that,” he said.

No updates were made to the F1 schedule for 2018 at the latest meeting of the World Motor Sport Council in Paris this week, meaning no switch between Bahrain and China will be ratified until the start of December at the earliest.

NASCAR America: Scott Speed’s quest for Red Bull GRC three-peat

Leave a comment

Red Bull Global Rallycross points leader Scott Speed is going for his third consecutive championship next month (Saturday, October 14, 4:30 p.m. ET, NBC from Los Angeles) for the Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross team.

Prior to that, he joined Thursday’s edition of NBCSN’s NASCAR America, checking in with his former Red Bull Racing teammate Brian Vickers, show host Carolyn Manno and analyst Steve Letarte.

Speed talked teammate dynamics – he and Tanner Foust have been the class of the Red Bull GRC field for several years – and what it takes to succeed in the diverse championship that features racing on both pavement and dirt.

“Tanner comes from more of a more rally background and I come from more of an open-wheel, road course background,” Speed explained. “You have to meet in the middle and often times that creates success. Our personalties are polar opposites and that’s a good thing.”

One other thing Speed addressed was Austin Cindric’s couple notable incidents in the last month or so. Going for his maiden NASCAR Camping World Truck Series win, Cindric hit Kaz Grala at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park to move for the lead and ultimately the win.

Cindric then made his GRC Supercars debut at the most recent weekend in Seattle and the two collided after a miscommunication in a preliminary race, prior to the Joker section of the course.

“He’s a young kid with not a lot of experience. He’s made a couple big mistakes. He came in like a wrecking ball,” Speed laughed.

“I was more mad because the car couldn’t restart at first. But it did, and we got going.”

Public clashes over future of Detroit Grand Prix

Getty Images
Leave a comment

DETROIT (AP) State officials are deciding whether to continue hosting the Detroit Grand Prix on Belle Isle, a state park and island that opponents say is negatively impacted by the annual event.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is considering whether to allow the race to continue after its current five-year contract expires after the 2018 race.

The department held a public meeting Wednesday at the Belle Isle Nature Center to gather feedback. Dozens of residents attended.

Opponents voiced concerns about the race’s environmental impact. Several conservation groups have requested a third-party environmental impact study on how the race affects island habitat.

But supporters say the race shines a spotlight on Detroit and stimulates the economy.

The Grand Prix has occurred on Belle Isle periodically since 1992 and annually since 2012.