Mika Hakkinen calls Ricciardo “dangerous” in the title race

1 Comment

Former McLaren driver Mika Hakkinen has said that Mercedes cannot ignore Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo as a threat for this year’s Formula 1 drivers’ championship following the Australian’s victory at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Ricciardo has won the last two grands prix following mistakes by Mercedes, with an on-track incident between drivers Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton allowing Red Bull to snatch the win away at Spa-Francorchamps last weekend.

Rosberg now leads Hamilton by 29 points at the top of the drivers’ championship, but with Ricciardo sitting just 35 points further back, Hakkinen thinks that Mercedes must improve to ensure that he does not swoop in to take the title.

“In my view, Ricciardo is dangerous,” the two-time world champion told Hermes. “He drives for a team that has won the championship several times in a row. Red Bull has a lot of experience in such situations, and shows a certain composure.

“At Mercedes there is more pressure, and the conflicts between drivers are not helping their aim to win the championship title.”

Hakkinen also weighed in on the debate about team orders, believing that Mercedes should have worked harder to ensure that an on-track collision between its drivers did not happen.

“When a team has the fastest cars, the risk of accidents should be kept very low, especially when you’re still in the early stages [of  a race],” he said. “A collision between teammates, as happened at Spa, should have been prevented in any case.

“The driver should be able to remember that the race is still long and tactics can affect the end result.

“Therefore, it is not worth it in the early stages to make any death-defying attempts.”

Plans for Alonso sports car debut in Rolex 24 gathering speed

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Plans for McLaren Formula 1 driver Fernando Alonso to appear in next year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona are gathering speed as the two-time World Champion angles for a drive at Le Mans in 2018.

Alonso announced on Thursday he had signed a new, multi-year deal to remain with McLaren in F1, but has left the door open to continue his pursuit of the Triple Crown of Motorsport and become just the second driver in history to complete it.

Alonso has won the Monaco Grand Prix twice and made his Indianapolis 500 debut this year, retiring with an engine issue, and has made no secret of his ambition to race at Le Mans one day.

With no date clashes, the possibility exists for Alonso to race at Le Mans in 2018, potentially with Toyota in the LMP1 class following McLaren’s split with Honda.

However, Alonso could make his 24-hour race debut five months earlier, with reports emerging on Thursday that he could be in line to appear in the Rolex 24 at Daytona in January.

First reported by Sportscar365, Alonso could be set to race for McLaren executive director Zak Brown’s team, United Autosports, at Daytona in January, with no clashes existing with his F1 commitments.

Alonso remained coy when asked about the chances of him appearing at Daytona, but admitted additional preparation for a possible Le Mans appearance would be of interest.

“For the Indy 500 it was a nice experience, I felt very competitive but it was a big challenge that I took from zero, from no testing, not any similar race before it,” Alonso said, as quoted by Reuters.

“If I want to prepare Le Mans, maybe there are other possibilities to prepare Le Mans a little bit better than I prepared the Indy 500.”

He added more about his other race program in Thursday’s pre-race Paddock Pass episode, speaking to NBCSN. “To be the best driver in the world you have to win in different series at different times. It’s possible I can compete in different races next year,” he said.

Brown said he would be happy to field Alonso at Daytona, and confirmed their pair had already loosely discussed it.

“If Fernando wants to do Daytona and we have a seat available, we would put his name on it happily,” Brown said.

“We’ve started joking around about it, and we saw where jokes got us last time,” he added, referencing the eventual entry to the Indy 500.

United Autosports will field two JS P217 cars at Daytona in January, and has already confirmed ex-F1 racer Paul di Resta, McLaren junior Lando Norris, American endurance racer Will Owen and Danish youngster Philip Hanson in seats.

McLaren reserve and 2009 F1 world champion Jenson Button had been linked with a drive for United Autosports at Daytona, but Brown confirmed to Sportscar365 this was no longer an option.

“Jenson won’t be driving for us. I don’t know what he’s going to be doing,” Brown said.

“I thought he was going to be in the Penske car. Not sure what happened there.”