Another major sponsor reaffirms backing of Tony Stewart

4 Comments

Two days ago, Bass Pro Shops president and CEO Johnny Morris issued a statement supporting Tony Stewart in his return to competition.

Now, the leader of one of Stewart’s other primary sponsors says that he too is standing behind the three-time NASCAR champion.

W.M. Rush, whose Rush Truck Centers is serving as primary backer for Stewart’s No. 14 Chevrolet in five Sprint Cup races this year, has told USA Today writer and NBCSN contributor Nate Ryan: “We stand by Tony.”

Mr. Rush is in attendance for this evening’s Oral-B USA 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway – Stewart’s first race since his involvement in a fatal sprint car accident on Aug. 9 at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park.

“That’s why I’m here today,” Rush added. “It was a terrible accident. It was a tragedy. Obviously like anyone, we’re sitting back and waiting for the investigation [to be completed]. At the same time, we see nothing right now that would change our relationship with Stewart-Haas [Racing].”

Mr. Rush also noted that feedback from the public on his company’s social media channels have been “overwhelmingly in support of our sponsorship, of SHR, and of Tony.”

Rush Truck Centers’ sponsorship of Stewart is slated to run through next year, and while Mr. Rush mentioned to Ryan that he’s talked to some members of his company’s board of directors and executive staff, there have been no meetings about possible re-evaluation of its pact with “Smoke.”

When asked if the sponsorship would be affected if Stewart were to be charged criminally at the end of the accident investigation, Mr. Rush did not comment.

However, he did give his condolences to the family of Kevin Ward Jr., the 20-year-old racer who was struck and killed by Stewart’s car in the accident.

“Speaking for Rush Truck Centers, Rush Enterprises and myself, obviously our deepest sympathy goes out to them as they go through the healing process,” he said. “It’s difficult and devastating on the Ward family, but I know how hurt Tony has felt.

“I grieve for both sides, if that makes sense.”

Plans revealed for upgraded Circuit Gilles Villeneuve pit complex

Société du parc Jean‑Drapeau
Leave a comment

Plans for the upgraded pit and paddock complex at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal, Canada, have been unveiled ahead of their completion in time for the 2019 Formula 1 race.

The Canadian Grand Prix signed a new long-term F1 contract running to 2029 earlier this year, with a commitment to improving the outdated pit facilities at the circuit, built in 1988.

In a press conference earlier this week, further details and artist renderings were revealed for the CA$48 million project by the Société Parc Jean‑Drapeau.

A new glass structure will become the main pit complex, covering three levels to accommodate the teams, media and hospitality guests.

The construction work will commence at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in July 2018 – one month after next year’s Canadian Grand Prix – and be completed two months prior to the 2019 race.

Photo: Société du parc Jean‑Drapeau
Photo: Société du parc Jean‑Drapeau