Fernando Alonso denies rumors of leaving Ferrari

3 Comments

Once again, Fernando Alonso has had to do all he can with a flawed car this season at Ferrari. The Spaniard currently sits fourth in the driver’s championship, and has become the subject of rumors involving a possible jump to McLaren in 2015.

But in an interview with Britain’s Sky Sports, Alonso denied those rumors. While indicating flattery at being talked about so much, he stated that “it’s not [his] intention to move at the moment.”

“I want to win here and finish the job that we started some years ago and we will see what the future [holds],” he said to Sky. “There has been a lot of talk since last summer, but from my mouth, there never came any interest to leave Ferrari or any words saying l would join another team.

“There was a lot of speculation, which is not disturbing but it created a little bit of tension and stress. Yet you also feel happy and proud that the best teams have an interest in you and say so in public.”

The first season of the V6 era has not been an easy one for the Scuderia, which hasn’t been able to hang with either Mercedes or Red Bull and is having to fend off Williams for third in the constructors’ championship.

Alonso has squeezed two podium finishes out of the F14 T, while teammate Kimi Raikkonen has earned none so far in his return season at Maranello (although he got close last time out at Belgium with a fourth-place finish).

Those frustrations were also acknowledged by Alonso in his interview with Sky.

“…We had high hopes with this year’s new regulations and starting from zero with all the other teams, we thought we could have an advantage with all our facilities and input from everybody,” he said. “But we have found ourselves not in the right position and not competitive.”

Last week, Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci said he was not worried about either Alonso or Raikkonen possibly leaving the squad at season’s end.

Lewis Hamilton comes home to Mercedes factory after fourth title

Getty Images
Leave a comment

On Monday, the Formula 1 schedule finally allowed teams to be in Europe before heading to Abu Dhabi for this weekend’s season finale.

And as such, that provided a window for now four-time World Champion Lewis Hamilton to return to the Mercedes AMG Petronas factories in Brackley and Brixworth to be celebrated for taking the driver’s title, as Hamilton an Valtteri Bottas delivered Mercedes its fourth straight constructor’s title.

Hamilton was at Brixworth, the home ofΒ Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrains (HPP) and its highly successful Mercedes-Benz Power Units first before heading to Brackley, where he was welcomed with a “guard of honor” as the entire team came out to greet him.

The champion was overwhelmed at the response and the welcome.

“This a very emotional day. I was not expecting this, thanks everyone for the warm welcome,” he said. “Today is something that I will never forget, turning up at the front gate of the factory and seeing everyone out on the street to welcome me – I’m blown away.

“This has been an incredible year, it’s been an incredible journey together. There’s a huge amount of respect and appreciation I have for everyone. I’ve been in the sport for a long time now, but to see the work ethic in Brixworth and Brackley really inspires me. Every time I come around, I see everyone operating at 100%, which encourages me to bring my best performance.

“Thank you all for helping me achieve my dreams, it would not have been possible without you. This is the best championship year, because we’ve been fighting another team and because we’ve had the difficulties and challenges we’ve had – that just makes it so much greater.”

A social roundup of images and videos are below, all via Hamilton and the Mercedes team on social media.