Fernando Alonso denies rumors of leaving Ferrari

3 Comments

Once again, Fernando Alonso has had to do all he can with a flawed car this season at Ferrari. The Spaniard currently sits fourth in the driver’s championship, and has become the subject of rumors involving a possible jump to McLaren in 2015.

But in an interview with Britain’s Sky Sports, Alonso denied those rumors. While indicating flattery at being talked about so much, he stated that “it’s not [his] intention to move at the moment.”

“I want to win here and finish the job that we started some years ago and we will see what the future [holds],” he said to Sky. “There has been a lot of talk since last summer, but from my mouth, there never came any interest to leave Ferrari or any words saying l would join another team.

“There was a lot of speculation, which is not disturbing but it created a little bit of tension and stress. Yet you also feel happy and proud that the best teams have an interest in you and say so in public.”

The first season of the V6 era has not been an easy one for the Scuderia, which hasn’t been able to hang with either Mercedes or Red Bull and is having to fend off Williams for third in the constructors’ championship.

Alonso has squeezed two podium finishes out of the F14 T, while teammate Kimi Raikkonen has earned none so far in his return season at Maranello (although he got close last time out at Belgium with a fourth-place finish).

Those frustrations were also acknowledged by Alonso in his interview with Sky.

“…We had high hopes with this year’s new regulations and starting from zero with all the other teams, we thought we could have an advantage with all our facilities and input from everybody,” he said. “But we have found ourselves not in the right position and not competitive.”

Last week, Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci said he was not worried about either Alonso or Raikkonen possibly leaving the squad at season’s end.

Toyota victorious in Bahrain on Porsche’s LMP1 swansong

Toyota Motorsport GmbH
Leave a comment

SAKHIR, Bahrain – Toyota denied Porsche a swansong victory in its final LMP1 appearance in the FIA World Endurance Championship by taking a commanding win in the 6 Hours of Bahrain on Saturday.

Porsche started from pole in the last competitive outing for the three-time Le Mans-winning 919 Hybrid car, only to lose out to Toyota’s Sebastien Buemi within the first half an hour of the race.

Porsche lost one of its cars from contention for victory after an errant bollard got stuck underneath Timo Bernhard’s No. 2 entry, leaving Nick Tandy to lead its charge in the No. 1 car.

Tandy moved into the lead just past half distance after a bold strategy call from Porsche to triple-stint the Briton after a fuel-only stop, vaulting him ahead of Anthony Davidson in the No. 8 Toyota.

Tandy’s win hopes were soon dashed when he tangled with a GTE-Am backmarker at Turn 1, sustaining damage that forced Porsche into an unplanned pit stop that put the car a lap down.

With the No. 7 Toyota losing two laps following a clash with a GTE-Pro car earlier on, Davidson, Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima went unchallenged en route to the car’s fifth victory of the season.

Porsche rounded out the podium with its cars, with the No. 2 leading home the No. 1, leaving Toyota’s No. 7 car to settle for P4 at the checkered flag.

Vaillante Rebellion clinched the title in LMP2 after a stunning fightback led by Bruno Senna, with the Brazilian securing his maiden motorsport championship win in the process.

GTE-Pro saw AF Corse complete a hat-trick of titles in 2017, with James Calado and Alessandro Pier Guidi wining the class’ first world championship recognized by the FIA, while Paul Dalla Lana, Pedro Lamy and Mathias Lauda sewed up the GTE-Am title.