NASCAR America to expand to 60 minute shows on Mondays after Chase races

NASCAR America will expand to 60-minute shows on Monday’s following each of the 10 upcoming races in the Chase for the Sprint Cup, NBCSN announced Thursday.

The expanded shows will provide more in-depth coverage of weekend action, as well as developments impacting the 2014 Chase, according to Jeff Behnke, vice-president of NASCAR Production for NBC Sports Group.

“The new Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup format, which expanded the field and introduced three shoot-out style postseason elimination rounds, has greatly increased the number of storylines and overall intrigue,” Behnke said. “We’re excited to give fans an expanded and in-depth examination of all the turning points, strategies and personalities in play each Monday throughout the remainder of the season.”

The expanded one-hour shows begin this Monday, Sept. 8, at 4:30 pm ET and will continue through the 2014 playoffs.

In addition, NBCSN will air a 60-minute pre-Chase special segment on Thursday, Sept. 11.

Here’s the schedule of dates and airing times (all times ET) for the upcoming episodes of NASCAR America on NBCSN:

Monday, Sept. 8         4:30-5:30 pm
Monday, Nov. 3         7:00-8:00 pm
Monday, Nov. 10       4:30-5:30 pm
Monday, Nov 17       4:30-5:30 pm

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Ricciardo: Red Bull has ‘decent chance’ of Abu Dhabi F1 victory

Getty Images

Daniel Ricciardo believes Red Bull stands a “decent chance” of signing off from the 2017 Formula 1 season with a victory in next weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

After a slow start to the year, Red Bull made massive gains across the course of the season by developing its RB13 to end the season as front-runners, rivaling Mercedes and Ferrari for pace.

The Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi has a number of slow-speed sections that should suit the RB13 car, with Ricciardo optimistic about his chances of not only ending his podium drought at the track, but even winning the race.

“Yas Marina has actually been one of my favorite tracks over the years,” Ricciardo said in Red Bull’s pre-race preview.

“It’s been a bit like Suzuka for me though, a track that I’ve always enjoyed and gone well on but not quite reached the podium at. I broke that trend in Suzuka this year so hopefully I can do the same in Abu Dhabi.

“When you have so much time away from the car in the off season it helps to sign off with a strong result as it makes you feel like you really deserve a break.

“I think we should have a strong car in Abu Dhabi. I said I want another win before the season is out and I think we have a decent chance of achieving that.”

Red Bull has claimed three race wins through 2017, with Ricciardo’s victory in Azerbaijan being followed up by successes for teammate Max Verstappen in Malaysia and Mexico.