LewisChinaAP

Hamilton under fire from Object for champagne spraying a podium girl in China (VIDEO)

13 Comments

With grid girls a topic of conversation earlier this month and with the FIA World Endurance Championship opting to remove them heading into the 2015 season, it seems interesting that now podium girls are a topic emerging in the wake of last week’s Chinese Grand Prix.

Lewis Hamilton won the race and did, like nearly any Grand Prix winner would do, spray the champagne on the podium post-race.

At one point he sprayed a podium girl in the face, and that has led to an uproar from Object – a campaign against sexism and “sex object culture” – in the wake of Hamilton’s spraying direction.

“If this if the case we think Lewis Hamilton should apologize for his actions and think carefully about how he behaves in the future. For most people, it would be apparent that she is not enjoying it,” Roz Hardie, Object CEO, told the UK’s Daily Mail.

“It is surely a very difficult position to be a grid girl and she would have had little option but to stand there and take it. That is something of which he should be aware. But instead, he appears to have abused her position.

“It’s unfortunate that a great victory has been marred by what appears to be selfish and inconsiderate behavior.”

The podium girl, Liu Siying, a 23-year-old Shanghai Institute of Visual Art graduate, actually didn’t mind the spraying.

“It lasted for only one or two seconds, and I did not think too much about it at all,” Liu said, via Sina sport.

Yes, this isn’t the best direction for Hamilton to be spraying the champagne.

However, shouldn’t the question be more regarding the point of podium girls being there to begin with, considering their presence would also mark them as “sex objects?” Food for thought…

Alas, the video above shows the still photos as shown during Yahoo Sports’ Mad Dash. The Hamilton portion runs from the start of the video through the first 44 seconds.

Audi upsets Porsche to lock out front row for WEC Silverstone opener

Audi R18 (2016) #7 (Audi Sport Team Joest), Marcel Fässler, André Lotterer, Benoît Tréluyer
© Audi Sport
Leave a comment

Porsche’s 11-race pole position streak in the FIA World Endurance Championship came to an end on Saturday at Silverstone as Audi locked out the front row of the grid for tomorrow’s six hour race.

Porsche enters the 2016 season with a refined version of its all-conquering 919 Hybrid car from 2015, while Audi and rivals Toyota have completed aggressive overhauls of their challengers.

Practice suggested that the status quo from the end of 2015 remained as Porsche finished well clear of Audi, sweeping to a one-two finish in both sessions on Friday.

However, both the no. 1 and no. 2 cars had no answer to the pace delivered by the Audi R18s in qualifying, with the esteemed trio of Andre Lotterer, Benoit Treluyer and Marcel Fassler taking pole by one-tenth of a second.

Lotterer and Fassler split driving duties in qualifying and were so evenly matched that their lap times were just 0.006 seconds apart, delivering a two-lap average of 1:53.204.

Although Lucas di Grassi clocked the quickest time of qualifying in the sister Audi, he and Loic Duval could only finish one-tenth of a second further back, but did enough to secure second place on the grid for tomorrow’s race.

As a result, for the first time since the 6 Hours of Spa in 2014, neither Porsche will start on the front row of the grid as the no. 1 car finished nine-tenths of a second off the pole time in third place. The no. 2 will start fourth, while the two Toyotas start fifth and sixth after struggling in qualifying.

In LMP2, defending champions G-Drive started the season in style by taking class pole thanks to a strong display by Rene Rast in his first qualifying outing for the Russian team. The no. 26 car finished 1.2 seconds clear of Pipo Derani and Chris Cumming in the no. 31 ESM car, while the debutant RGR team qualified third.

Ferrari’s AF Corse team gave the new 488 GTE car an impressive baptism by taking class pole courtesy of the no. 71 car shared by Davide Rigon and Sam Bird. The result marks Bird’s third WEC pole at Silverstone, all coming in different classes after successes in GTE Am and LMP2.

The fastest time of qualifying in GTE Pro was set by James Calado in the sister no. 51 Ferrari, yet an engine failure meant that Gianmaria Bruni was unable to set a lap time, leaving the car at the back of the field and with a three-minute penalty in the race so that the unit could be replaced.

The only Porsche on pole at Silverstone surprisingly came in GTE Am as the no. 88 Abu Dhabi Proton Racing car headed its class, followed by another 911 RSR in the shape of the new Gulf Racing entry.

To see the full results from qualifying, click here.

Vasser, Unser Jr. and more promise a show for final celebrity race

36RD6490
Papis and Unser Jr. Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) A tradition will come to an end at the Grand Prix of Long Beach when the checkered flag waives for the final time on the fan-favorite Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race.

The race Saturday will be the 40th and final of the longest-running corporate-sponsored charity race in the country. The event, which has helped Toyota donate more than $2.3 million to “Racing For Kids” since 1991, will be celebrated with an all-star field that includes 18 previous winners.

Included in the field are Stephen Baldwin, Frankie Muniz, Brian Austin Green and last year’s overall winner, Alfonso Ribeiro.

But so are retired racers Jimmy Vasser and Al Unser Jr., who swept the front row in qualifying Friday. The two then learned the field will be inverted for the green flag, and they’ll start in the back on the 1.97-mile street course. Vasser and Unser will have 10 laps to try to make it to the front. Vasser, the pole-winner, was the overall winner in 2010 and owns three Toyota dealerships, while Unser was the overall winner in 1985 and 2009 and the pro winner in 2014.

“It makes for a fantastic show, it gets exciting,” said Unser, the “King of the Beach” because he’s the winningest driver at Long Beach, with six IndyCar wins and three Pro/Celebrity wins.

“It’s going to be carnage for 10 laps.”

Added Vasser, the pole-winner: “We’re going to burn it down, the last race.”

It wasn’t the forecast Bob Carter, Senior Vice President of Automotive Operations for Toyota Motor Sales, wanted to hear. Carter, who has zero racing experience, is one of only two drivers in the field who have never won this event. He’ll make his racing debut on Saturday and will start near the front in the inversion with the hard-charging pros coming after him.

“I originally thought (the inversion) was a good idea, but now I realize you two guys are behind me,” Carter said.

Carter spent four days of training with the other drivers in the field at Willow Springs International Motorsports Park, which is about an hour north of Los Angeles. He’s so enjoyed his experience with the other drivers, he dubbed the event “the top weekend of my entire life. This is a really special group of people.”

Vasser said he’s holding out hope that a title sponsor will come aboard and take over the event so that Saturday’s race is not the last. He said he remembered the race from his days at Long Beach, before he had a professional ride, and they were always enjoyable.

“It’s been a laugher,” he said. “I remember Donny Osmond rolled it in Turn 1. There’s Donny Osmond climbing out of a car.”

PWC: Parente scores pole in Long Beach

WC
Leave a comment

LONG BEACH, Calf. – Alvaro Parente, driver of the No. 9 K-PAX Racing McLaren 650S GT3, which maintains its technical partnership with Flying Lizard Motorsports, has scored the pole for the fifth race of the Pirelli World Challenge season on the streets of Long Beach.

Not bad considering the Portuguese driver had never seen the track before.

Parente laid down a best time of 1:18.947, which edged Johnny O’Connell in the No. 3 Cadillac Racing Cadillac ATS-V.R at 1:18.955 and Colin Thompson in the No. 13 K-PAX McLaren at 1:18.988.

“It’s a great feeling to be on pole position. We were so close in St. Petersburg, and we’ve been performing well all the time,” he said.

“This is great for K-PAX Racing and Flying Lizard Motorsports. Again, the third time was the qualifying, and it was really close, by a few hundredths of a second or something. I’m happy to be in this position on a street track.”

Three Porsche 911 GT3 Rs were next, with Patrick Long, Andrew Davis and Michael Lewis. The two EFFORT Racing drivers – Long and Lewis – are both California natives.

Martin Fuentes led the GTA field in his No. 07 Scuderia Corsa Ferrari 458 GT3 Italia. Meanwhile O’Connell’s Cadillac teammate, Michael Cooper, did not post a time during the session.

The race runs at 10 a.m. PT and local time on Sunday. Times are linked here.

Alonso, Button frustrated as red flag ends Q3 hopes in China

SHANGHAI, CHINA - APRIL 16:  Fernando Alonso of Spain drives the 4 McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team McLaren MP4-31 Honda RA616H Hybrid turbo during qualifying for the Formula One Grand Prix of China at Shanghai International Circuit on April 16, 2016 in Shanghai, China.  (Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

McLaren drivers Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button were both left frustrated following qualifying for the Chinese Grand Prix as a red flag at the end of Q2 denied them a possible top 10 starting position.

McLaren and engine supplier Honda have made significant progress over the winter, giving Button and the returning Alonso plenty of confidence heading to China this weekend.

Both showed good pace throughout practice and the early part of qualifying, but a red flag caused by Nico Hulkenberg at the end of Q2 meant they were unable to improve their lap times late on.

As a result, Alonso qualified 12th ahead of Button in 13th, leaving both frustrated to have missed out on a place in Q3.

“I think both Jenson and I could have got through to Q3 today,” Alonso said.

“We had the pace, and we had been saving tires and engine ready to go for it… until the red flag ended the session. It was massively frustrating not to be able to complete my final lap in Q2. There really was a lot of potential in the car today.

“Let’s put it into further perspective: not too many races ago, we were just making it into Q2, now we’re frustrated not to be in Q3. That’s definitely a good direction in which to be heading.”

Button joked that the much-criticized elimination qualifying that was dropped ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix weekend might have actually worked in McLaren’s favor had it remained.

“Ironically, although it was neither successful nor popular, the qualifying system we used in the first two races of the year would probably have been better for us today,” Button said.

“However, it’s just one of those things: we ran used options for our first Q2 run, then we waited until the circuit was at its best before fitting new tires. Like a few others, we were caught out by the Q2 red flag, which was frustrating.

“Being just outside the top 10 has its positive side though: we can choose our starting tire, and there are plenty of options with the three different compounds.

“And, by the way, in the next few races, we will get through to Q3!”

The Chinese Grand Prix is live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 1:30am ET on Sunday.