Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors

2 Comments

NÜRBURGRING – Audi motorsport boss Wolfgang Ullrich has laughed off the continued speculation linking the German manufacturer with a move into Formula 1 in the future.

Due to Red Bull’s own disillusionment with F1 and subsequent public threats to quit the sport in 2015, Audi had been mooted as a possible engine supplier or buyer for the team.

The German marque has long stated that talk of a move into F1 was nothing but “pure speculation”, affirming its commitment to the FIA World Endurance Championship, DTM (Germany’s premier touring car series) and GT racing.

Speaking to MotorSportsTalk at this weekend’s 6 Hours of Nürburgring, Ullrich said how the speculation about a possible move into F1 had been a long-running theme of his time at the helm at Audi.

“This is a discussion I’ve lived with for 20 years, and we never did it,” Ullrich said.

“So I would be surprised if we did it tomorrow.”

When asked by MotorSportsTalk whether some kind of entry to the sport in 2016 would be possible, Ullrich said that a lead up of a single year would be unwise.

“If somebody wants to go into Formula 1 and they think that they can do it from one to the next year, I think he shouldn’t try to do it,” he said.

The Audi-to-F1 story is something of an annual occurrence, but given Red Bull’s recent woes and the quit threats that have been issued in public, it has gained a little more traction in 2015.

Audi continues to exist as one of the two dominant teams in the FIA World Endurance Championship alongside Porsche, with its no. 7 trio of Andre Lotterer, Benoit Treluyer and Marcel Fassler leading the drivers’ championship ahead of today’s race at the Nürburgring.

Video highlights from Stage 12 of Dakar Rally, 2 stages remain

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thursday’s Stage 12 of the 40th Dakar Rally not only closed the overall standings gap in at least two classes (cars and trucks), two other classes (bikes and quads) failed to get going due to weather conditions.

The full video highlights of Stage 12 will air on NBCSN on Friday at 7 pm ET, but here are some of the highlights from Thursday’s action:

CARS

2018 Dakar Rally: Nasser Al-Attiyah wins Stage 12 of cars

BIKES

 Stage 12 cancelled due to weather conditions

 

TRUCKS

Ton van Genugten edged out Martin Kolomy in Stage of, while Federico Villagra and Eduard Nikolaev both faced an uphill battle to finish fourth and third respectively.

QUADS

Even though the Quads were also impacted by weather issues on Thursday, Ignacio Casale, the 2014 Dakar winner, continues to make his case for a second overall victory in the quads.