Getty Images

Magnussen switch to Haas F1 confirmed

Leave a comment

Kevin Magnussen will switch from Renault Sport F1 Team to Haas F1 Team for 2017 and beyond, the American team has confirmed.

The 24-year-old Dane will thus be in his third different team in as many seasons since his 2014 debut with McLaren, having only been there for one year and then coming back to F1 with Renault this year after a one-year race hiatus.

The silly season has been such that when Nico Hulkenberg confirmed his move from Sahara Force India to Renault, it left Magnussen and Jolyon Palmer ultimately fighting for one remaining position in the Enstone-based team.

But other machinations developed and with Gene Haas’ American F1 team having eyed Magnussen’s talent, it saw him fit as an option alongside Romain Grosjean as Esteban Gutierrez announced his departure on Thursday.

Magnussen will now join Haas and for the first time in his F1 career, looks set to have his future set for more than just one year at a time.

“This is a fantastic opportunity and I’m very happy to be a part of Haas F1 Team,” Magnussen said in a release. “Obviously, I’m confident in my abilities as a Formula One driver, but I’m also very confident of what Haas F1 Team can do in its second season and every season thereafter. Gene Haas has come into Formula One with a strong vision and a different way of doing things. He’s making it work and work well. I’ve had a good vantage point all season long, and I’m looking forward to getting behind the wheel of next year’s Haas VF-17.”

“From the time we began looking at drivers, Kevin Magnussen was always on our short list,” added Gene Haas, founder and chairman, Haas F1 Team. “He’s accomplished a lot in a very short period of time, and we feel like he can accomplish a lot with us. Our second season will bring a new set of challenges, and we feel that pairing Kevin with Romain will help us develop our new car and continue our growth.

“I want to thank Esteban Gutiérrez for all of his efforts. He’s been an instrumental part of our first year in Formula One and we’re looking forward to finishing the season strong with him and Romain.”

Renault, meanwhile, thanked Magnussen for his year with them in a way only Renault could:

MRTI: Juncos signs Carlos Cunha for Pro Mazda campaign

Photo: Juncos Racing
Leave a comment

Juncos Racing continued to bolster its entries in the Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires by signing Carlos Cunha to pilot a third Juncos Pro Mazda entry for 2018. Cunha, who finished third in the 2017 Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda season on the back of seven podium finishes, joins Rinus VeeKay and Robert Megennis in Juncos’ Pro Mazda lineup for 2018.

Cunha previously tested with the team at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in October and joined Juncos for the Chris Griffis Memorial test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in November, testing cars for both the Pro Mazda and Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires teams.

“It’s great to become a part of Juncos Racing,” said the 18-year-old Cunha. “I am really excited to start the 2018 season with Juncos Racing. This fall we did some testing together and from there I was able to see how focused everyone on the team is and I even felt like I became a part of their family in no time. I am confident we will get great results together next year and I look forward to learning and growing more with the team. It will be a huge pleasure and also a great responsibility to carry the number one on my car, thanks to (2017 Pro Mazda champion Victor Franzoni) and I hope to deliver it back to the team at the end of the year!”

Team owner Ricardo Juncos added, “We are excited to add Carlos to our Pro Mazda lineup. From the moment we started testing with him in early October, we knew he would be a great fit for our team. Carlos has been very quick in testing and even had an impressive showing in the Indy Lights car at the Chris Griffis test back in October. He had a great run this past season in the Pro Mazda series and we are confident he will carry that momentum into the 2018 season.”

Follow @KyleMLavigne