Photo: Indianapolis Motor Speedway, LLC Photography

Nico Jamin confirmed with Andretti to step up to Indy Lights

Leave a comment

Andretti Autosport has its second confirmed driver for the 2017 Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires season, with Nico Jamin stepping up from the Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires campaign.

The young Frenchman stormed to the 2015 Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda title with Cape Motorsports with Wayne Taylor Racing, and won a couple races in Pro Mazda with the Capes, ending third in points.

After a successful test with Andretti at the Chris Griffis Memorial Mazda Road to Indy Test in October at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Jamin will now join the list of those who’ve run in all three rungs of the Mazda Road to Indy presented by Cooper Tires ladder.

“I am delighted to announce that I will be driving in Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires for Andretti Autosport in 2017,” Jamin said. “I remember my first USF2000 race back in 2014, walking by Mario Andretti in the paddock and I asked him to take a picture with me. That day, I was far to think that I was going to drive for a team owned by his son, Michael, a few years later. This is a dream come true and I thank everyone who made it possible – my family, partners, the whole Andretti team and fellow Frenchman, J-F Thormann. We have had extremely positive test days already and I am very much looking forward to seeing the first green flag of the season wave at St. Petersburg.”

Michael Andretti added, “We are really pleased to welcome Nico to our Indy Lights team,” said team owner Michael Andretti. “His progress in the MRTI system has been promising so far and he was impressive in recent testing. We’re looking forward to a competitive season for Nico and the No. 27 team.”

Jamin will take over the No. 27 car vacated by Dean Stoneman, as the team’s second confirmed driver alongside Dalton Kellett. Andretti is keen to continue running at least three cars, and with Shelby Blackstock departing for Belardi Auto Racing, it’s possible that this year’s Atlantic champion Ryan Norman, who’s tested with Andretti, could fill that role.

Jamin follows Nicolas Dapero (Juncos Racing) as Pro Mazda graduates who step up – Aaron Telitz will as well after winning the title, with his team to be revealed at a later date. Kellett and Blackstock have also been confirmed for 2017.

Montreal Mayor cancels Formula E’s planned season four finale

Getty Images
Leave a comment

New Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante has cancelled the FIA Formula E Championship’s planned season four finale, which was set for two races on July 28 and 29, 2018, citing what was termed a “financial fiasco.”

Plante was elected to replace Denis Coderre in the role, and didn’t follow Coderre’s support of the event.

She announced the news today citing financial and logistical challenges she didn’t feel the city could overcome.

Via a report in the CBC, Plante’s administration estimated a potential cost of up to $35 million would needed to be paid by the city’s taxpayers for the event’s second running. Additionally, a nonprofit organization reportedly owes creditors some $9.5 million.

Plante revealed details today in a series of messages posted on Twitter, which you can see in order below.

A Formula E spokesperson supplied a statement of the surprise news to e-racing365.com:

Formula E’s fourth season underwent one calendar change with a return to Punta Del Este, Uruguay replacing a cancelled race in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Whether a replacement can be sourced for this race weekend will now remain to be seen.