Ā© Getty Images

Jenson Button reunited with 2009 F1 title-winning Brawn GP car

Leave a comment

Jenson Button has been reunited with the Brawn GP car from his 2009 Formula 1 drivers’ championship victory for the first time in seven years.

Button, 36, made what is set to be his final F1 appearance in Abu Dhabi last weekend, retiring from the race early on after a front-upright failure on his McLaren car.

The Briton announced in September he would be taking a step back from racing in F1 after 17 straight seasons, making way for Stoffel Vandoorne to step up into a McLaren race seat.

Despite having a contract to race in 2018 for McLaren should both he and the team be willing, Button said in Abu Dhabi that he does not expect to return.

Button’s career was filled with highs and lows, with the most remarkable story coming in 2009 when he won the drivers’ championship with Brawn GP, a team that took over from Honda following its shock withdrawal from the sport.

Button won six of the opening seven races of the season en route to the title, having scored just three points in the entire 2008 campaign for Honda.

The fairytale story led to a number of significant moves for 2010, including Button’s switch to McLaren and Mercedes’ entry to the sport as it took over Brawn.

On Thursday, Button took to Instagram to share a picture of his Brawn BGP 001 car from the 2009 season, commenting that it was the first time he had seen it since his title win.

Marco Andretti confident that fewer tests won’t hurt Andretti Autosport

Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

A small point of debate around the 2018 aero kit has been the manufacturer test days that took place through the Fall of 2017 and into the beginning of 2018. Chiefly, the debate has centered around teams who hadn’t participated in those manufacturer test days and if they’re starting the 2018 Verizon IndyCar Series season at a disadvantage as a result.

Team Penske, Ed Carpenter Racing, and A.J. Foyt Racing completed test days for Chevrolet, with Schmidt Peterson Motorsports and Chip Ganassi Racing doing so for Honda.

That left teams like Andretti Autosport out of the mix, with some voicing concerns as a result.

However, in a press conference during testing at ISM Raceway last weekend, Marco Andretti explained that he thinks Andretti Autosport should be able to catch up on development, citing the team’s resources – they’re the only IndyCar team with four full-time cars in their stable – and the fact that everyone is still adapting to the new kit.

“I feel like it’s early enough days that, yes, we can catch up,” Andretti said at ISM Raceway. “When there is anything new, a new car, new aero kit, at-track days are huge. We can sim all these things we want. To really get out there and confirm what we’re learning back at the shop is another thing.”

Ryan Hunter-Reay during testing at ISM Raceway. Photo: IndyCar

Andretti continued, “Yeah, I don’t think we should look at it like we’re behind the eight ball. With a four-car team, that’s where we can use it to our benefit. So far so good.”

Teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay, echoed Andretti’s sentiments, adding that while the situation is not perfect, they will need to adapt to it in order to remain competitive.

“Any time you have a new car, to put it into perspective, we’re on track three days on a road course before we get to (the season open in St. Petersburg). That’s a very short amount of time. It’s obviously not ideal, but we’re just going to lace up our boots and get on with it. That’s all you can do.”

Andretti Autosport will have one more team test, at Sebring International Raceway later on in February, before the season-opening Firestone Grand Prix of St.Ā Petersburg.

Follow@KyleMLavigne