Rosberg yet to decide on using No. 1 in 2017, could keep ‘lucky’ No. 6

1 Comment

Nico Rosberg is yet to decide whether he will use the No. 1 reserved for Formula 1 world champions in 2017, having used No. 6 through his title-winning campaign.

Permanent numbers were introduced to F1 for the 2014 season, with the No. 1 being reserved for the defending world champion should they choose to use it.

Sebastian Vettel ran with the No. 1 through 2014, with his preferred choice, No. 5, being reserved for when he was not world champion.

Lewis Hamilton has opted to pass on the offer to use the No. 1 through 2015 and 2016, having won the past two titles, and instead stuck with his traditional No. 44.

Rosberg claimed his maiden F1 World Championship on Sunday in Abu Dhabi, defeating Hamilton by five points in a nail-biting finale.

Rosberg has raced with No. 6 since permanent numbers were introduced, and is yet to decide on whether he will make use of the No. 1 for 2017.

“I have no idea,” Rosberg said when asked what number he would use.

“I love number six of course, my dad won the World Championship with number six as well, so it’s a very lucky number for us.

“Don’t know, that’s it.”

Rosberg will be the first F1 driver to make a decision about using the No. 1 without having previously used it, with both Vettel and Hamilton running the number before the new system was introduced in 2014.

A similar choice regarding use of the No. 1 is given to drivers in IndyCar, with Scott Dixon sticking with his No. 9 for the 2016 season despite winning the 2015 title. Simon Pagenaud is expected to race with the No. 1 in 2017 as defending champion.

MRTI: Juncos signs Carlos Cunha for Pro Mazda campaign

Photo: Juncos Racing
Leave a comment

Juncos Racing continued to bolster its entries in the Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires by signing Carlos Cunha to pilot a third Juncos Pro Mazda entry for 2018. Cunha, who finished third in the 2017 Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda season on the back of seven podium finishes, joins Rinus VeeKay and Robert Megennis in Juncos’ Pro Mazda lineup for 2018.

Cunha previously tested with the team at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in October and joined Juncos for the Chris Griffis Memorial test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in November, testing cars for both the Pro Mazda and Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires teams.

“It’s great to become a part of Juncos Racing,” said the 18-year-old Cunha. “I am really excited to start the 2018 season with Juncos Racing. This fall we did some testing together and from there I was able to see how focused everyone on the team is and I even felt like I became a part of their family in no time. I am confident we will get great results together next year and I look forward to learning and growing more with the team. It will be a huge pleasure and also a great responsibility to carry the number one on my car, thanks to (2017 Pro Mazda champion Victor Franzoni) and I hope to deliver it back to the team at the end of the year!”

Team owner Ricardo Juncos added, “We are excited to add Carlos to our Pro Mazda lineup. From the moment we started testing with him in early October, we knew he would be a great fit for our team. Carlos has been very quick in testing and even had an impressive showing in the Indy Lights car at the Chris Griffis test back in October. He had a great run this past season in the Pro Mazda series and we are confident he will carry that momentum into the 2018 season.”

Follow @KyleMLavigne