Photo: Rebellion Racing

Sarrazin rounds out stacked Rebellion Racing lineup at Daytona

Leave a comment

Imagine taking the reigning 24 Hours of Le Mans and FIA World Endurance Championship champion from Porsche, the 2014 FIA World Endurance Championship and reigning FIA Formula E champion from Toyota, a multiple-time Petit Le Mans winner from Rebellion Racing, then pair them with Toyota’s longest active driver in the FIA WEC, and put them all in one car.

And in that one car, you have a ridiculously stacked lineup that Rebellion Racing is putting together in its Oreca 07 for the 2017 Rolex 24 at Daytona.

Stephane Sarrazin has been confirmed today as the fourth driver alongside Neel Jani, Nick Heidfeld and Sebastien Buemi in a thoroughly impressive lineup for the Bart Hayden-run operation, which makes its return to the U.S. starting with next year’s Rolex 24 as part of a Tequila Patron North American Endurance Cup lineup. Jani and Heidfeld have raced together with Rebellion in the past and Daytona marks its reunion.

“After our success in the American Le Mans Series races in 2012 and 2013, we always wanted to find a way back to competing in the USA,” Hayden said when the team announced its U.S. return. “We are very excited to be able to return with a new prototype and to race in the North American Endurance Cup in 2017.  Reuniting Nick with Neel and adding Seb gives us a top line driver line-up and signals our intention which is to compete at the highest level and hopefully to win again in the USA.”

The Prototype class field at the Rolex 24 should be well north of 12 entries – perhaps 15 or more – and most of them will have pretty impressive lineups for the debut of the new Daytona Prototype international (DPi) format along with the new-for-2017-spec LMP2 cars.

Kubica, di Resta complete Williams F1 tests in Hungary

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta have both completed one-day tests for Williams in a 2014-spec Formula 1 car as part of the team’s evaluation for its 2018 line-up.

Williams is known to be considering a number of drivers to partner Lance Stroll at the team next year, including existing racer Felipe Massa.

Massa is thought to be going up against Kubica and di Resta for the 2018 drive, with the latter duo taking part in a private test at the Hungaroring in Budapest this week to aid the team’s evaluation.

After missing out on a 2018 Renault drive due to lingering questions about his physical condition six years after his rally accident, Kubica tested for Williams at Silverstone last week before getting back behind the wheel of the 2014 FW36 car in Hungary on Tuesday.

Kubica’s test was called “productive” by Williams, with the Pole handing duties over to Mercedes DTM racer di Resta on Wednesday.

Di Resta raced in F1 with Force India between 2010 and 2013 before returning to DTM, but made a surprise return at this year’s Hungarian Grand Prix with Williams when Massa was taken ill. Di Resta impressed on short notice, putting himself in contention for a full-time return to F1 in 2018.

Williams has one of the few remaining seats on offer in F1 for 2018, with Massa’s future known to be in question after a quiet campaign thus far.

The Brazilian had been due to retire from F1 at the end of last year, only for Williams to recall him after Valtteri Bottas’ late move up to Mercedes following Nico Rosberg’s surprise retirement.

Massa has made clear he would like to keep racing in F1 next year, but only if the deal is right and if Williams is determined to keep him.

While Massa, Kubica and di Resta appear to be the three leading contenders for the seat, Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe made clear in Japan there was a “large range” of drivers under consideration.

“You’ve probably seen a number of names that are floating around that we’re looking at, but honestly, the range is almost unlimited,” Lowe said.

“We will consider all ideas. We’re not in a super hurry to do so, and we’ll just make sure we land the best line-up we can.”