© Getty Images

Daniel Ricciardo re-affirms commitment to Red Bull for next two years

Leave a comment

Daniel Ricciardo has dismissed suggestions that he could move to Mercedes for either the 2017 or 2018 Formula 1 seasons, re-affirming his commitment to Red Bull Racing.

Ricciardo has been one of F1’s most prominent drivers in recent years, finishing third in the drivers’ standings in 2014 and 2016 and claiming four grand prix victories.

The Australian has been tipped to mount a challenge for the World Championship next year with Red Bull, with the team making great progress across the course of 2016.

Ricciardo was one of a number of drivers linked to the vacant seat at Mercedes for 2017, made available following Nico Rosberg’s shock retirement from F1 five days after winning his maiden title.

However, Ricciardo confirmed earlier this week that his contract with Red Bull runs for another two seasons, taking him to the end of the 2018 campaign.

“I’ve got two more years at Red Bull. That’s where I’m going to be,” Ricciardo told Australian Associated Press  in Perth.

“There’s a lot of people that are tempted to jump into that [Mercedes] seat, and you don’t blame them.

“I just hope whoever gets it appreciates it. It’s a damn good one.

“But for me, you’ll see me at Albert Park in a Red Bull.”

Mercedes is expected to sign Valtteri Bottas from Williams for 2017 in a deal that will see Felipe Massa come out of retirement and return to a race seat with the British team.

A number of F1’s high-profile drivers will be out of contract at the end of the 2017 season, including McLaren’s Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari, making them options for Mercedes should Bottas be handed a short-term deal.

Ricciardo’s future remains secure, it appears, having formed a successful partnership with Max Verstappen during their time together at Red Bull through the 2016 season.

The 2017 season gets underway in Melbourne, Australia on March 26.

Robert Hight extends Funny Car victory streak to 13 seasons

Photo: Gary Nastase and Auto Imagery
Leave a comment

MORRISON, Colo. (AP) Robert Hight beat Tommy Johnson Jr. on Sunday in the Mopar Mile-High NHRA Nationals at Bandimere Speedway to extend his Funny Car victory streak to 13 seasons.

Hight topped Johnson with a 3.995-second pass at 317.57 mph in a Chevrolet Camaro SS for his 38th career victory.

“We definitely struggled through the first few rounds and we were lucky to get those round wins, but I have a great team who figured things out and helped get me to the winner’s circle,” Hight said. “It’s definitely a long-time coming and we hadn’t had much luck, but today we had some luck and we hope this continues throughout the Western Swing.”

Antron Brown won in Top Fuel, Drew Skillman in Pro Stock, and Eddie Krawiec in Pro Stock Motorcycle.

Brown edged teammate and No. 1 qualifier Leah Pritchett with a 3.792 at 319.82. He has three victories this season to push his career total to 64.

Skillman raced to his second straight victory and the fifth of his career, beating points leader Bo Butner with a 6.916 run at 198.15 in a Camaro.

Krawiec topped Matt Smith with a 7.145 at 188.28. The Harley-Davidson rider has two victories this season and 38 overall.

Sauber confirms Matsushita for Hungary test as well

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Honda junior driver Nobuhiro Matsushita will have a run with Sauber F1 Team on the second day of the Hungarian Grand Prix post-race week test, in the team’s C36 chassis.

Sauber’s engine selection for 2018 is up in the air. While the team announced a switch from year old Ferraris to Hondas, this was done under prior team principal Monisha Kaltenborn and rumors have persisted the deal may be off, or wasn’t fully done in the first place.

That Matsushita is running at this test for his first day in an F1 car – Gustav Malja will run on day one – could indicate the Honda switch isn’t yet a dead topic.

“When I was four years old, I was fascinated by Michael Schumacher, watching him racing in Formula 1. Since then my dream was to become a Formula 1 driver,” he said. “I am very excited about my first Formula 1 test and I am really looking forward to driving the Sauber C36-Ferrari at the Hungaroring – it is a great opportunity for me. I hope it will be a productive day for the team as well as for myself, so that I can learn as much as possible. I would like to thank the Sauber F1 Team for making this happen.”

New team boss Frederic Vasseur, formerly of Renault, gave his take on the test.

“I am pleased that Nobuharu has this great opportunity. He deserves the experience of his first test in a Formula 1 car. Ever since his debut in Formula 2 with ART Grand Prix, I have been following his progress closely, and have watched him advance his performance from year to year. With this Formula 1 test, he comes one step closer to his dream of becoming an F1 driver one day.”

Renault confirms Robert Kubica will test in Hungary

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Renault Sport F1 Team has confirmed Robert Kubica will make his return to a current Formula 1 car in the post-Hungarian Grand Prix test, which will only continue to fuel the hype train for a possible race return.

The Pole has undertaken two tests in recent weeks with older cars but this day in the Renault R.S.17 will provide the team a chance to evaluate him in current machinery to gauge his race level fitness.

It’s a story that has got the F1 world buzzing in recent weeks as Kubica, injured in a rally accident before the 2011 season, has made a comeback to restart his racing career.

Poor Nicholas Latifi, also confirmed for the test that runs the Tuesday and Wednesday after the Hungarian Grand Prix, will be undoubtedly overlooked as a result.

Jolyon Palmer will race in Hungary this weekend at least but whether the Brit continues beyond the summer break that follows afterwards remains a question mark.

Haas F1 driver Romain Grosjean to launch cookbook

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Haas Formula 1 driver Romain Grosjean may be one of the sport’s most promising talents on-track, but he also has a burning passion off it: cooking.

Grosjean may have been spent a good part of this year cooking his brakes, but you’ll now be able to cook bakes instead…

F1’s resident foodie is set to release a cookbook alongside wife Marion Jolles in the coming weeks, as announced on his Facebook page.

Grosjean currently sits 13th in the F1 drivers’ championship with 18 points to his name, helping Haas to match the points total from its debut season after just 10 races in 2017.