© Getty Images

Donington Park rules out bidding for British GP F1 rights

Leave a comment

Donington Park has ruled out bidding for the hosting rights for the British Grand Prix should Silverstone stop holding its Formula 1 race after 2019.

The chairman of the British Racing Drivers Club (BRDC) informed its members last week that it was considering activating a clause in its F1 contract to stop hosting the race due to “ruinous” costs.

The news has led to concerns that the British Grand Prix may not feature on the F1 calendar beyond 2019, with a decision due to be made by Silverstone before the 2017 event in July.

Possible alternatives have been suggested, including Donington Park, which previously won the rights to host F1 from 2010 before financial problems forced the project to be shelved.

Speaking to The Guardian, a spokesperson for the track said: “The board has consistently made it clear that we have no intention of bidding for the British Grand Prix.”

The report from The Guardian also noted that Rockingham, which hosted CART races in 2001 and 2002 but has since become a national level circuit, had “no intention” of bidding for the British Grand Prix, while Brands Hatch declined to comment.

Donington Park has hosted F1 once before, going down in history for being the site of Ayrton Senna’s finest hour when he dominated in torrential rain to win the 1993 European Grand Prix (pictured).

Brands Hatch previously shared hosting rights for the British Grand Prix with Silverstone, last welcoming F1 back in 1986 before focusing on its national and European-level events.

In related news, Brands Hatch owner MotorSport Vision announced on Thursday that it had acquired the lease for Donington Park on a 21-year deal.

“I am thrilled that MSV has now acquired the Donington circuit business,” MSV owner and ex-F1 driver Jonathan Palmer said.

“Donington is a good British circuit that deserves further investment, energy and expertise in order to make it truly outstanding, and MSV will provide this.

“We plan a great new era for Donington, with some exciting new events and much enhanced quality of experience for all of its customers, whether spectators, competitors and track day participants, together with even better value.”

Video highlights from Stage 12 of Dakar Rally, 2 stages remain

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thursday’s Stage 12 of the 40th Dakar Rally not only closed the overall standings gap in at least two classes (cars and trucks), two other classes (bikes and quads) failed to get going due to weather conditions.

The full video highlights of Stage 12 will air on NBCSN on Friday at 7 pm ET, but here are some of the highlights from Thursday’s action:

CARS

2018 Dakar Rally: Nasser Al-Attiyah wins Stage 12 of cars

BIKES

 Stage 12 cancelled due to weather conditions

 

TRUCKS

Ton van Genugten edged out Martin Kolomy in Stage of, while Federico Villagra and Eduard Nikolaev both faced an uphill battle to finish fourth and third respectively.

QUADS

Even though the Quads were also impacted by weather issues on Thursday, Ignacio Casale, the 2014 Dakar winner, continues to make his case for a second overall victory in the quads.