All hotos: Michael Levitt for BorgWarner

Rossi receives Baby Borg-Warner Trophy to bring Indy 500 win full circle

Leave a comment

The memories created from May 29, 2016, when Alexander Rossi completed one of the more heroic and unlikely performances en route to winning the 100th Indianapolis 500, were enough to last a lifetime.

But while the win itself for Rossi and car co-owners Michael Andretti and Bryan Herta brought the flurry of media activity, whirlwind number of trips and appearances in the days that followed, there still wasn’t the tangible take-home product of the trophy that comes with it.

Wednesday night as part of the Automotive News World Congress dinner event at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the winners have received their Baby Borg-Warner Trophies. The Baby Borg was first presented to Rick Mears in 1989, following his third of four Indianapolis 500 wins in 1988.

Andretti has had four different drivers deliver him a Baby Borg – Rossi joins past champions Ryan Hunter-Reay (2014), Dario Franchitti (2007) and Dan Wheldon (2005) – with Herta now blessed to have a second Baby Borg of his own after Wheldon’s triumph in 2011 in a similar surprise victory in a No. 98 Honda.

For Rossi, however, the Baby Borg marked the full circle culmination of the victory, with this physical appreciation now standing as a gift he’ll have for life to remind him of that most special day.

Rossi presented his Baby Borg.
Rossi presented his Baby Borg from James Verrier, President/CEO, BorgWarner.

“These two nights were the ones I was most looking forward to,” Rossi told NBC Sports. “It’s obviously the trophy aspect that makes it real.

“The first evening with my likeness unveiled, you become a part of motorsports history. Yet you leave, and go with nothing in your hand.

“So it’s nice to come here to Detroit at the Auto Show. There’s so many people and you have the presentation. Now, I can take something home and figure out where I put it in my house!”

In December, Rossi saw his likeness revealed on the Borg-Warner Trophy for the first time, at an event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum.

Sculptor William Behrends pretty much nailed the face as Rossi became the 103rd face on the trophy (two co-drivers and Tony Hulman are the extras beyond the 100 race winners).

January in Detroit though is where the automotive world comes together and where INDYCAR can be showcased beyond the track itself.

levitt-baby_borg_00304
From left to right: James Verrier (President/CEO, BorgWarner), Alexander Rossi, Borg-Warner Trophy, Michael Andretti, Bryan Herta

“What BorgWarner does every time is incredible; all four times have been special,” Andretti said. “It’s so cool they do it here in Detroit, the “automotive capital of the world.” It’s such a great show and a great place to stage this event. I love they keep the tradition.”

For Andretti and Herta, their trophies mark the culmination of the journey to get here. Herta’s IndyCar program was in jeopardy of failing to make the 2016 grid altogether, before the former teammates at Andretti Green Racing merged up in late February to create the Andretti-Herta Autosport entry for Rossi.

Even more special for Herta is the fact he grew up near Detroit in Warren, Michigan.

“I was born here and lived here. Michael joked you need a good reason to come back in January because of the weather,” Herta related. “But It’s an amazing effort. It’s great for INDYCAR. Great exposure back in the automotive industry, the backbone of the industry.

“Really, the whole journey has been amazing over the last 365 days to now. We’ve come such a long way in terms of having real stability with the Andretti Autosport team. It’s very exciting.”

“This one was really special. As Bryan said it started last year, in February. To win the thing with a rookie driver that’s never seen the Indy 500 before was surreal,” Andretti added.

It was apparent in December that the win meant more to Rossi as time passed, from the initial shock and saying “I have no idea how we pulled that off!” that occurred in victory lane. At the BorgWarner Dinner, his appreciation for meeting three-time Indianapolis 500 champion Bobby Unser, then four-time Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series champion Jeff Gordon who popped in in a cameo, was obvious.

Similarly, while Wednesday night marked a surreal moment for Rossi, he expects the magnitude of having the Baby Borg – which he doesn’t yet know where he’ll place at home – to sink in down the road as well.

“I’m sure this is another thing I’ll appreciate more later, than right in the moment,” Rossi explained. “The significance will sink in more.

“It comes in different times. It takes you back, and that’s when it hits later. Then it’ll remind me of another moment. That’s an epiphany of the moment and how special it is.

“This journey, and what I’ve learned about the history is mind-blowing. I’m surprised I went so far in my career without learning more about it. BorgWarner’s involvement and their support is incredible… and I’m humbled to accept this award.”

Most of Rossi’s wins in junior formula came as part of two-race weekends, so that mean there was little time to reflect on each one. The pursuit of the next win was always next.

Rossi hailed his Formula BMW World Championships win in 2008 as meaning the most in his career prior to Indianapolis, as it spring-boarded him to Europe.

The win on open-wheel racing’s biggest stage though puts him into rarified air among the legends of all-time.

“This race isn’t comparable to anything else given its size and magnitude.” he said. There shouldn’t be anything else that relates to it. That makes it even more exponentially powerful.”

Ricky Brabec wins 2017 Sonora Rally (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

Ricky Brabec wins Sonora Rally. Photo: Sonora Rally
Leave a comment

Honda rider Ricky Brabec, who won a stage at this year’s Dakar Rally, has captured the victory in last week’s Sonora Rally, held March 21-24 in Sonora, Mexico.

He led all four of the special stages in a start-to-finish romp for victory.

Despite Joan Barreda and Steve Hengeveld’s injuries that ruled them out of the rally, Brabec still had to focus on the job at hand.

“You are really racing against yourself out here, against the terrain,” he said in a release.  “I’m much more familiar now with open up a course than I was back in January at Dakar when I had to do it for the first time.”

Fellow Honda riders Mark Samuels and Andrew Short completed the podium. Samuels won the Sonora Rally’s Dakar Challenge, which presents a free opportunity for a rider to enter the 2018 Dakar Rally.

“The hard work of getting to Dakar is still ahead of me, but I will do everything in my power to make America proud,” Samuels said.

Polaris ATR rider Dave Sykes won the UTV class, with Eric Pucelik and Mike Shirley winning the Cars class.

On background, the Sonora Rally is the only event of its kind in North America. The rally raid format requires street legal vehicles to transit along untimed “liaison” sections and timed “special stages” over multiple days, with the lowest combined time winning the event. Now in its third year, the Sonora Rally realizes the vision of founders Scott Whitney and Darren Skilton to bring a world class rally raid event to these shores (2016 recap).

Brabec’s winning ride is captured in the below video, via Race-Dezert.

Meanwhile, because photos do this event more justice than words do, those are below (All Photos: Sonora Rally)

Webber: Alonso may not see out the season with McLaren

Getty Images
3 Comments

Mark Webber never had the easiest time in Formula 1, particularly his latter years as the number two driver at Red Bull Racing to Sebastian Vettel.

That being said, he was never on the verge of leaving it directly until he announced his plans to move to Porsche’s LMP1 Team, where he raced for three years from 2014 to 2016 before retiring at the end of last season.

But the Australian pondered whether Fernando Alonso might not be able to see out the season with McLaren Honda, if the team and manufacturer’s woes continue.

“Alonso may not stay with the team,” Webber told Belgian outlet Sporza. “Maybe Stoffel (Vandoorne) soon will have a new teammate.”

“I could see it happen that Alonso does not drive out the season. He is very frustrated. Fernando doesn’t start for a sixth or seventh place; he wants to fight for the podium.”

Webber added that for Vandoorne’s sake, starting in a team with lower expectations might not be the worst thing for him. It may allow the Belgian rookie to learn without extra pressure, since the onus is focused on the team.

For Alonso though, time is of the essence for what’s left of his career in F1. This is his last season under contract with McLaren Honda and he made no secret of his frustration for how well he drove at Melbourne, yet the car wasn’t up for it.

“Well the race was good, one of my best races driving like that,” Alonso told NBCSN post-race. “The car’s uncompetitive and to be close for a point was a nice surprise. It was good fuel saving as well. I was surprised to keep it in the points. A suspension (issue) stopped us from getting this point.

“I feel very well prepared, driving at the best of my career, and I’m fighting for one point. That’s disappointing and frustrating. But so long as I’m driving at my best, it’s a problem for the team… not me.”

Rosberg, Button soak up their first weekends out of F1 (PHOTOS)

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Since 2008, Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel have won seven World Championships. The two drivers that won titles in that period not named Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel – Nico Rosberg (2016) and Jenson Button (2009) – were both enjoying their first weekends not on a Formula 1 grid as full-time drivers for the first time in more than a decade this weekend as the 2017 season commenced at Melbourne’s Albert Park.

Rosberg made a visit to preseason testing in Barcelona a few weeks ago for his first appearance as spectator since winning the World Championship. But he watched from home this weekend with his family and posted a few thoughts during both qualifying and the race:

We’re now quite familiar with Rosberg’s home TV set and coffee table. This is the first time Rosberg has been out of an F1 race since 2005, the year he won the first GP2 championship.

Button meanwhile paid a visit to California for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series weekend at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana… once he got off his couch. He checked in with seven-time champion Jimmie Johnson at Fontana.

Do you guys know if there's anything good to watch on tele this weekend? @storm_and_rogue_pomskies

A post shared by Jenson Button (@jensonbutton_22) on

Given McLaren Honda’s struggles, Button is probably smart to have got out when he did. He’d been on the grid since 2000, save for a couple races out in 2005 when BAR-Honda was barred from competing after being disqualified from the San Marino Grand Prix.

Meanwhile for Rosberg, he watched as Mercedes was unable to win the season opener for the first time since 2013.

DJR Team Penske wins three of four Supercars races at Melbourne

Getty Images
Leave a comment

DJR Team Penske has won its first Virgin Australia Supercars Championship races over the weekend during the Australian Grand Prix, with Scott McLaughlin and Fabian Coulthard taking the first three wins in the four-race, non-championship race weekend.

While Penske’s teams have long succeeded in North America and have had some international success, notably a Formula 1 win at the 1976 Austrian Grand Prix with John Watson, success has thus far eluded them since arriving in Supercars two years ago as majority shareholders of Dick Johnson Racing.

McLaughlin had the honor of beating Coulthard to the first win in race one of the weekend, before Coulthard doubled up with wins in races two and three. The first two races were one-two finishes, though, and McLaughlin said he’d received a text from Roger Penske in the wake of the victory.

“I got a text from Roger straight away and they’re all pretty happy,” McLaughlin told Supercars.com.

“They’re thanking me but I should be thanking them for giving me the opportunity.”

The first race was marred by this incident between Nick Percat and Lee Holdsworth, Percat having lost his brakes entering Turn 1 and crashing into Holdsworth, who was an innocent bystander.

But once the race resumed, McLaughlin held off Coulthard for the victory.

Coulthard led from start-to-finish in race two after his second straight pole position. He did the same in race three, albeit not in a Penske 1-2 as Jamie Whincup came second for Red Bull Holden Racing Team Commodore. McLaughlin was third.

A left-front puncture stopped Coulthard making it three in a row in the fourth race, and with steering damage, McLaughlin was resigned to 17th. Chaz Mostert took the win his Supercheap Ford, ending his own winless spell that dated to August of 2015.

Also of note from the weekend, ex-IndyCar driver Simona de Silvestro in her Team Harvey Norman Nissan Altima finished 13th in race one, her best finish yet in her first full season in the series.

The Supercars series is back in action at Symmons Plains Raceway on April 7-9.  Coulthard sits second in the series championship, 51 points back of Whincup’s teammate, Shane van Gisbergen.