© Getty Images

BRDC in talks with British government over financial aid for Silverstone F1 race

Leave a comment

BIRMINGHAM, UK – British Racing Drivers’ Club (BRDC) president Derek Warwick has confirmed that discussions are underway with UK parliament regarding financial aid for the annual Formula 1 race at Silverstone.

A leaked letter from BRDC chairman John Grant revealed last week that Silverstone is considering dropping the British Grand Prix after 2019 due to “ruinous” costs.

The track has a break clause in its F1 contract that would need to be triggered before the 2017 race, set to take place in July.

Concerns have been raised about the future of one of F1’s oldest races as a result, with alternative venues such as Donington Park and Brands Hatch seeming unviable.

Speaking at Autosport International in Birmingham, England on Friday, Warwick expressed his confidence that the race would continue after 2019.

“I have just got a feeling that we can’t do without the British Grand Prix, we can’t do without Silverstone, so some compromise will be made,” Warwick said.

“Either with Bernie [Ecclestone] or the new people that are now taking over, which is Liberty. We have had meetings with Liberty and Chase Carey, he understands our dilemma. We understand he still has to make money because that’s what these guys are doing.

“There is light at the end of the tunnel, we will have grands prix past 2019.”

Warwick also revealed that the BRDC is talking with the British government regarding financial aid for the race, as enjoyed by a number of other F1 events across the world.

“We’re talking to government to see if there is any help there,” Warwick said.

“Even Bernie is calling us and saying: ‘Let’s set up a meeting and we’ll talk about it’.

“We are feeling very positive at the minute.”

MRTI: Juncos signs Carlos Cunha for Pro Mazda campaign

Photo: Juncos Racing
Leave a comment

Juncos Racing continued to bolster its entries in the Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires by signing Carlos Cunha to pilot a third Juncos Pro Mazda entry for 2018. Cunha, who finished third in the 2017 Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda season on the back of seven podium finishes, joins Rinus VeeKay and Robert Megennis in Juncos’ Pro Mazda lineup for 2018.

Cunha previously tested with the team at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in October and joined Juncos for the Chris Griffis Memorial test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in November, testing cars for both the Pro Mazda and Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires teams.

“It’s great to become a part of Juncos Racing,” said the 18-year-old Cunha. “I am really excited to start the 2018 season with Juncos Racing. This fall we did some testing together and from there I was able to see how focused everyone on the team is and I even felt like I became a part of their family in no time. I am confident we will get great results together next year and I look forward to learning and growing more with the team. It will be a huge pleasure and also a great responsibility to carry the number one on my car, thanks to (2017 Pro Mazda champion Victor Franzoni) and I hope to deliver it back to the team at the end of the year!”

Team owner Ricardo Juncos added, “We are excited to add Carlos to our Pro Mazda lineup. From the moment we started testing with him in early October, we knew he would be a great fit for our team. Carlos has been very quick in testing and even had an impressive showing in the Indy Lights car at the Chris Griffis test back in October. He had a great run this past season in the Pro Mazda series and we are confident he will carry that momentum into the 2018 season.”

Follow @KyleMLavigne