© Getty Images

Zak Brown: Formula 1 needs a second race in the U.S.

1 Comment

BIRMINGHAM, UK – McLaren executive director Zak Brown believes that Formula 1 needs a second grand prix in the United States if it is to crack the American market.

Brown has been involved in F1 for many years as a commercial expert, and was appointed to his role at McLaren at the end of last year following long-standing chairman Ron Dennis’ departure.

Following Liberty Media’s acquisition of F1 last fall, there has been a focus on expanding the sport’s profile in the United States and widening its reach.

To aid this process, Brown believes it is crucial that F1 gets a second event in the United States to increase the sport’s exposure to American sports fan.

“I think it can be very big in North America. I think the only reason it’s not is that there’s not enough of it,” Brown told NBC Sports.

“We need a second race. The television is very good, the addition of Haas is a good thing. An American driver would be nice but I don’t think there’s one around the corner.

“A second race and the teams need to do a better job of helping promote the sport and it can get there. It’s moved around too much, it’s not had races.

“We need some stability and date equity which Austin brings, but we need a second race.”

Brown also believes that F1 can take inspiration from the Super Bowl in terms of promotion of races in the cities where grands prix are held.

“I think we need to let the towns know that we’re coming to the race earlier. I’ve landed at some grands prix on a Thursday, land at the airport and you wouldn’t know that the race is happening,” Brown said.

“You land in town for the Super Bowl. By the time the gate has pulled up to the gate, you know the Super Bowl is in town.

“I think the marketing needs to start a city level. Maybe get the drivers there a little bit earlier, get the media turned on earlier, and then have some events.

“I think fan engagement doesn’t just have to be at the race track. It can be during the week in the town centres etc.

“So I think we need to do a better job of event marketing.”

MRTI: Juncos signs Carlos Cunha for Pro Mazda campaign

Photo: Juncos Racing
Leave a comment

Juncos Racing continued to bolster its entries in the Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires by signing Carlos Cunha to pilot a third Juncos Pro Mazda entry for 2018. Cunha, who finished third in the 2017 Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda season on the back of seven podium finishes, joins Rinus VeeKay and Robert Megennis in Juncos’ Pro Mazda lineup for 2018.

Cunha previously tested with the team at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in October and joined Juncos for the Chris Griffis Memorial test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in November, testing cars for both the Pro Mazda and Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires teams.

“It’s great to become a part of Juncos Racing,” said the 18-year-old Cunha. “I am really excited to start the 2018 season with Juncos Racing. This fall we did some testing together and from there I was able to see how focused everyone on the team is and I even felt like I became a part of their family in no time. I am confident we will get great results together next year and I look forward to learning and growing more with the team. It will be a huge pleasure and also a great responsibility to carry the number one on my car, thanks to (2017 Pro Mazda champion Victor Franzoni) and I hope to deliver it back to the team at the end of the year!”

Team owner Ricardo Juncos added, “We are excited to add Carlos to our Pro Mazda lineup. From the moment we started testing with him in early October, we knew he would be a great fit for our team. Carlos has been very quick in testing and even had an impressive showing in the Indy Lights car at the Chris Griffis test back in October. He had a great run this past season in the Pro Mazda series and we are confident he will carry that momentum into the 2018 season.”

Follow @KyleMLavigne