© Getty Images

Ferrari: No interest in entering Formula E in its current form

Leave a comment

Ferrari has no interest in entering Formula E in its current state, but will continue to evaluate a possible move into the series should it be able to make a significant contribution to the championship.

Ferrari president and CEO Sergio Marchionne said back in November that a move into Formula E had been discussed, but expressed concerns about doing so with the series still in its infancy.

During a conference call with investors earlier this week, Marchionne expanded on his reservations about Formula E, saying that he thinks there are better ways to develop Ferrari’s electric vehicle interests at the moment.

“The Formula E arrangement now, as much as I think it’s a valiant effort to make technology relevant on the track, I think it’s substantially short of what I would expect to have,” Marchionne said.

“The fact you have to change cars in a race is unhelpful simply because of the duration of the battery charges.

“There are things that really maim the sport. I think we need to find a better way of expressing an interest in electrification than through Formula E.”

Despite his concerns, Marchionne said that Ferrari could not rule out a future entry to Formula E, but would only join the series if it could make a meaningful difference.

“Having said this, we continue to look at it, and I think I have not given up on the idea of potentially one day entering, if the parameters are such that Ferrari can make a difference,” Marchionne said.

“If it cannot make a difference, then it should not play.”

Formula E is currently embarking on its third season, with manufacturers such as Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Renault and Citroen already enjoying involvement.

Mercedes announced last October that it has taken up an option on a Formula E entry for season five, with one more slot free on the grid for a possible manufacturer to join for the 2018/19 campaign.

 

Video highlights from Stage 13 of the Dakar Rally

Dan Istitene/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Friday’s Stage 13 of the 40th Dakar Rally went from San Juan to Cordoba to set up the concluding stage of the event.

The video highlights of Stage 13 will air on NBCSN on Saturday at 6:30 pm ET, but here are some of the highlights from Friday:

CARS

Nassar Al-Attiyah strengthened his hold on second with a stage win as defending winner Stephane Peterhansel crashed in the penultimate stage.

BIKES

Toby Price won his second stage of the 2018 Dakar, his ninth overall, while Matthias Walkner retained the lead ahead of the final stage.

TRUCKS

Eduard Nikolaev continued to make a case for his second consecutive Dakar win after an epic battle to capture Stage 13.

QUADS

Jeremias Gonzalez took Stage 13 of the quads, tightening his grip on third overall in the 2018 Dakar Rally.