© Getty Images

Eric Boullier: Fernando Alonso ‘can’t wait’ to try out 2017 McLaren F1 car

1 Comment

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier says that star driver Fernando Alonso “can’t wait” to get behind the wheel and try out the team’s new-spec 2017 Formula 1 car later this month.

In a bid to make F1 cars multiple seconds per lap faster and look more radical, a number of significant changes have been made to the sport’s technical regulations for 2017.

Alonso, 35, has long-stated that he would consider his future in F1 after trying out the new-spec cars, having grown disillusioned with the current formula that has been in place since 2014.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Boullier stressed that Alonso remained as motivated as ever ahead of the new campaign and is raring to get into action.

“He’s been working very, very hard this winter and he’s really ready and eager,” Boullier said.

“He drove this kind of car, or even faster car, in the past so he knows what to expect.

“He can’t wait to drive the car. He drove it in the simulator but it’s not the same. I’m sure he can’t wait to drive it on the track and see if it’s delivering what we expect.”

Alonso will be joined at McLaren for 2017 by Stoffel Vandoorne, who steps up into a full-time seat after winning the GP2 title in 2015 and finishing fifth in last year’s Super Formula standings.

The high levels of downforce afforded by the new cars are set to place a greater stress on drivers’ bodies, making pre-season preparation more crucial than ever.

Boullier believes that Vandoorne may have a period of adaptation as he gets used to the new cars, but is confident that the Belgian is well prepared for the season ahead.

“Stoffel never drove such a high-downforce car or high-energy car, so he may have a couple of days to suit his body just to make sure he’s fit,” Boullier said.

“But he also worked very hard over the winter, he’s ready. They’re both ready.”

The new F1 season begins on March 26 in Melbourne, Australia.

Penske: No room for Patrick in Indy 500 lineup. Ganassi? OK

Getty Images
Leave a comment

HOMESTEAD, Fla. (AP) Roger Penske has no room in his Indianapolis 500 lineup for Danica Patrick.

“The Captain” has a hunch where Patrick’s Indy comeback will take her in May – with Chip Ganassi.

“I sent him a note and said, `Congratulations. Danica better be driving your car at Indy because unfortunately she’s not driving for us,”‘ Penske said, laughing.

The 35-year-old Patrick said this week she will race only in the Daytona 500 and the Indianapolis 500 next year and then she will walk away from racing. Patrick is the only woman to have led laps in both the Daytona 500 and the Indianapolis 500. Patrick ran the Indy 500 from 2005 through 2011. Her highest finish was third in 2009, and she was the first woman to lead laps in the race when she paced the field for 19 trips around the Brickyard as a rookie.

Penske has a full field for Indy with Will Power, Simon Pagenaud and 2017 series champion Josef Newgarden racing as fulltime entries and three-time winner Helio Castroneves returns on a one-shot deal to try and win a fourth.

Chip Ganassi Racing is the likely ride at Indy. Ganassi has room to field additional cars – he’s scaling down from four full-time cars to two next year – and would give Patrick a car capable of winning. Ganassi said Friday he has met with Patrick and called her “Danica Double” a great idea.

Penske said Patrick and Ganassi, who has Ed Jones and IndyCar great Scott Dixon in his lineup, would be a perfect pair.

“I think that’s a great seat for her,” Penske said Saturday. “That’s a great team. They’re the ones that’s always been competitive there. I take my hat off that she wants to continue to go back to open wheel. That’s going to be terrific for the sport and there’s going to be a lot of interest around the country.”

Patrick was highly marketable early in her career even though wins were rare. She won the pole for the Daytona 500 in 2013, but finished 24th in the standings the last two seasons. She won her only IndyCar race in 2008, in Japan. Patrick never scored a top-five finish in NASCAR and had only seven top 10s (though she led laps at the Daytona 500) in 189 career starts.

Penske, a 16-time winner as a car owner of the Indy 500, said Patrick would return to IndyCar a better driver.

“I think she’s going to come back to IndyCar a lot tougher having run in NASCAR,” he said. “I think she’s going to be someone that, in a good car, is going to pick it up. She’s got plenty of time to practice.”

Team Penske won the owner championship Saturday in NASCAR’s Xfinity Series. Sam Hornish Jr., who won three IndyCar titles and the 2006 Indy 500, said the sport would welcome back Patrick.

“She’s probably going to have a better shot at Indy because of what she’s done the last five years,” Hornish said.

Patrick has not revealed the team she’ll race for but surely a package deal with the same team and same sponsor for the biggest races in motorsports would make her again racing’s most marketable driver.

“I think it’s a great way for her to say, hey, I’m here, I’ve done it, I’m going to go back to the two biggest races and see if I can’t get out on top,” Penske said.

Penske can win a NASCAR championship with Brad Keselowski in Sunday’s Cup race.

—-

More AP Auto Racing: http://racing.ap.org