© Getty Images

Ross Brawn: Formula 1 fixes will take time

3 Comments

Recently-appointed sporting managing director of Formula 1 Ross Brawn says that the solutions to many of the series’ key issues will take time to come to fruition.

Ex-Benetton and Ferrari technical chief Brawn was announced as F1’s new sporting managing director following Liberty Media’s takeover of the sport last month, marking his return to motorsport three years after leaving Mercedes.

Brawn has been tasked with improving F1’s on-track product, but has stressed that the fixes will not be instant and will take some time to instigate.

“There are some straightforward issues, but the solutions are going to take some time,” Brawn told BBC 5 Live.

“We want to focus on making the show as good as it can be and the entertainment as good as it can be.

“Every decision that will be made in the future – technical decisions, sporting decisions, economic decisions – will have to tick some boxes. Does it make the sport better? Does it make it more entertaining? Does it make it more economic?

“Gradually we’ll steer the sport into a better direction, into a better place. You can’t change a sport as complex as Formula 1 overnight.

“But the message is that we are fighting to make the sport as entertaining and as viable as we can. I hope with the continued pressure we can apply, we can steer the sport into a better place.”

Brawn will work alongside new F1 CEO Chase Carey and commercial chief Sean Bratches under Liberty’s ownership, forming a new triumvirate to manage the sport.

Brawn wrote widely about his thoughts on the current issues surrounding F1 in his recently-released book, Total Competition, where his philosophy of basing of decisions on economic, technical and sporting grounds was explored widely.

Due to the existing contracts that are in place, many of the planned political and economic changes for F1 may not be workable until 2020 at the earliest, but sporting moves could be invoked sooner should Brawn see fit to do so.

Video highlights from Stage 12 of Dakar Rally, 2 stages remain

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thursday’s Stage 12 of the 40th Dakar Rally not only closed the overall standings gap in at least two classes (cars and trucks), two other classes (bikes and quads) failed to get going due to weather conditions.

The full video highlights of Stage 12 will air on NBCSN on Friday at 7 pm ET, but here are some of the highlights from Thursday’s action:

CARS

2018 Dakar Rally: Nasser Al-Attiyah wins Stage 12 of cars

BIKES

 Stage 12 cancelled due to weather conditions

 

TRUCKS

Ton van Genugten edged out Martin Kolomy in Stage of, while Federico Villagra and Eduard Nikolaev both faced an uphill battle to finish fourth and third respectively.

QUADS

Even though the Quads were also impacted by weather issues on Thursday, Ignacio Casale, the 2014 Dakar winner, continues to make his case for a second overall victory in the quads.