Getty Images

Horner: Bottas not to be dismissed as Mercedes’ number two driver

1 Comment

Red Bull Formula 1 chief Christian Horner believes that Valtteri Bottas should not be dismissed as Mercedes’ number two driver to Lewis Hamilton, calling the Finn “a very good choice” to replace Nico Rosberg.

Bottas was signed by Mercedes from Williams for 2017 following Rosberg’s shock decision to quit racing just five days after winning his maiden world championship.

Bottas is yet to win a grand prix, having scored nine podium finishes during his time in F1, and will be teammates with three-time World Champion Lewis Hamilton in 2017 – a tough task that others have struggled to manage in the past.

Red Bull appears to have a more balanced F1 driver line-up, with both Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen winning grands prix and neither enjoying number one status at the team.

When asked if Mercedes appearing to have a set lead driver in 2017 would make things more difficult for Red Bull, Horner moved to defend Bottas.

“I’m very happy with our driver line-up. I think Valtteri Bottas was a very good choice for Mercedes, Williams’ loss was Mercedes’ gain,” Horner said.

“I’m sure he will be competitive, he is a quick driver, he’s been very quick in the lower formulas and I wouldn’t dismiss him to just being a number two just at the moment.

“I’m very comfortable with the two drivers we’ve got and I wouldn’t rather have any other drivers in our cars.”

Mercedes non-executive director Niki Lauda said after Rosberg’s announcement that half the grid had been in contact regarding the vacant seat.

Horner confirmed that there was a conversation regarding Red Bull’s drivers, but that it was instigated by Lauda himself and that the approach was knocked back immediately.

“Niki likes to talk as we all know. He does a lot of talking,” Horner said.

“He made an inquiry but it was quite a short call.”

Video highlights from Stage 12 of Dakar Rally, 2 stages remain

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thursday’s Stage 12 of the 40th Dakar Rally not only closed the overall standings gap in at least two classes (cars and trucks), two other classes (bikes and quads) failed to get going due to weather conditions.

The full video highlights of Stage 12 will air on NBCSN on Friday at 7 pm ET, but here are some of the highlights from Thursday’s action:

CARS

2018 Dakar Rally: Nasser Al-Attiyah wins Stage 12 of cars

BIKES

 Stage 12 cancelled due to weather conditions

 

TRUCKS

Ton van Genugten edged out Martin Kolomy in Stage of, while Federico Villagra and Eduard Nikolaev both faced an uphill battle to finish fourth and third respectively.

QUADS

Even though the Quads were also impacted by weather issues on Thursday, Ignacio Casale, the 2014 Dakar winner, continues to make his case for a second overall victory in the quads.