Photo: Magnus Racing

PWC: Marco Seefried, Magnus back together for SprintX

Leave a comment

Marco Seefried will rejoin Magnus Racing once again for 2017, confirmed Friday as co-driver for John Potter’s No. 44 Audi R8 LMS for the majority of the SprintX season in Pirelli World Challenge.

Seefried will be in the No. 44 car for four of the five SprintX weekends, but will miss the rounds at Lime Rock Park May 26-27 because of the Nürburgring 24-hour race.

“I’m extremely happy we were able to make this work,” Seefried said. “Magnus has been such a great part of my career, and the SprintX races should be a unique opportunity to just drive flat out. So many of my greatest victories have been with this team, and hopefully we can continue that in the Pirelli World Challenge.

“While I’ve never competed in this series, it’s obviously grown in to a very strong championship, and with a very impressive roster of teams and drivers now. I’m thankful as always to John and the rest of the team for the opportunity, I look forward to helping them earn the championship.”

Pierre Kaffer will also miss that race at Lime Rock in the team’s No. 4 car, as well as the 24 Hours of Spa in July (same weekend as PWC at Mid-Ohio). Spencer Pumpelly is confirmed as Kaffer’s co-driver for the SprintX weekends; Pumpelly just arrived at Sebring overnight before Thursday after testing with Magnus at a cold Virginia International Raceway earlier this week.

Follow @TonyDiZinno

McLaren almost back on schedule with 2018 F1 car after delay

Getty Images
Leave a comment

McLaren is almost back on schedule with its 2018 Formula 1 car development after losing two weeks due to a delay in deciding on its engine supplier, according to racing director Eric Boullier.

McLaren confirmed back in September it would be cutting ties with Honda at the end of the year after three difficult seasons, favoring a switch to Renault power units.

The decision was not taken lightly by McLaren, causing it to lose two weeks in the development of next year’s car, but Boullier confirmed in an interview with the official F1 website that the team is almost back on-track.

“Maybe we made the decision to change the engine manufacturer two weeks too late for our schedule, but these two weeks have almost been recovered,” Boullier said.

“Any big decisions are always difficult to take. The concept of McLaren winning with Honda was a dream for everybody, yes – it was a beautiful story.

“Today we have huge respect for them and we definitely don’t divorce with fights and screams and finger pointing. We are all very professional – and in the end it was a business decision, which they understand.

“There is a sadness that it didn’t work out like we wanted. McLaren-Honda in terms of brands was a good fit – in terms of results it didn’t work.

“That’s what it is in the end. Now we have to see that we get back to competitiveness – back to the top!”