Getty Images

Sochi Autodrom names grandstand after Vitaly Petrov

Leave a comment

The Sochi Autodrom has named its Turn 2 grandstand after Russia’s first Formula 1 driver, Vitaly Petrov, ahead of this year’s grand prix.

Petrov made his F1 debut in 2010 with Renault before scoring his first podium finish at the Australian Grand Prix in 2011, with the team rebranded as Lotus.

Petrov joined Caterham for 2012 but failed to score any points, and was dropped by the team for 2013 when it opted to sign Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde.

The Russian then moved into DTM and has since found a home in sportscars, racing for SMP Racing in the FIA World Endurance Championship last year.

Petrov has now been honored by the Sochi circuit, which is set to host its fourth F1 race on April 30, with the Turn 2 grandstand set to bear his name.

“I’m incredibly grateful to the organizers of the 2017 Formula 1 VTB Russian Grand Prix for the honor and respect shown to me. This is a really significant event in my life!” Petrov said.

“I’m sure that the grandstand named after me will always be packed, because it is located in one of the most exciting places of the track, where at the end of a straight the cars accelerate to 339 km/h, and all 20 drivers attack each other at the entry of the second right-hand corner.

“Throughout the race, we will also see some amazing overtakes! Once again, thank you to all my fans, as well as Formula 1 fans.”

Petrov is the second driver to have a grandstand named after him in Sochi, the first being Daniil Kvyat, who was the first Russian F1 racer to compete on home soil at the 2014 event.

McLaren almost back on schedule with 2018 F1 car after delay

Getty Images
Leave a comment

McLaren is almost back on schedule with its 2018 Formula 1 car development after losing two weeks due to a delay in deciding on its engine supplier, according to racing director Eric Boullier.

McLaren confirmed back in September it would be cutting ties with Honda at the end of the year after three difficult seasons, favoring a switch to Renault power units.

The decision was not taken lightly by McLaren, causing it to lose two weeks in the development of next year’s car, but Boullier confirmed in an interview with the official F1 website that the team is almost back on-track.

“Maybe we made the decision to change the engine manufacturer two weeks too late for our schedule, but these two weeks have almost been recovered,” Boullier said.

“Any big decisions are always difficult to take. The concept of McLaren winning with Honda was a dream for everybody, yes – it was a beautiful story.

“Today we have huge respect for them and we definitely don’t divorce with fights and screams and finger pointing. We are all very professional – and in the end it was a business decision, which they understand.

“There is a sadness that it didn’t work out like we wanted. McLaren-Honda in terms of brands was a good fit – in terms of results it didn’t work.

“That’s what it is in the end. Now we have to see that we get back to competitiveness – back to the top!”