Photo: IndyCar

Bourdais checks in from hospital as Coyne crew visits (PHOTOS)

1 Comment

INDIANAPOLIS – Sebastien Bourdais posted for the first couple times on Twitter on Tuesday since his accident on Saturday that left him with multiple pelvic fractures and a fracture in his right hip.

Bourdais, driver of the No. 18 GEICO Honda for Dale Coyne Racing, was injured during a qualifying run that was on pace to be the fastest of the day and secure his place in the Fast Nine shootout to win pole for the 101st Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil.

From IU Methodist hospital, Bourdais already joked he “wouldn’t be going for a run” since he’s on crutches, and then had a visit from the rest of the Coyne crew. He’s thanked everyone for their support.

Team owner Coyne spoke to Motorsport.com’s David Malsher after the accident, noting Bourdais’ determination to want to get back in a car as soon as possible and return to action.

“First day after the crash he was saying he wanted to be back for Sonoma [the season finale]. I said, ‘No, skip Sonoma, then you’ve got an extra four months to heal, and come back in January and we’ll do it right,’” Coyne told Malsher.

James Davison fills in for Bourdais at the Indianapolis 500, as the Australian begins his third tour of duty with the team this week under less-than-ideal circumstances.

Talented young guns Matthew Brabham and RC Enerson were also mentioned within Malsher’s report as possibilities to take over the No. 18 Honda the rest of the way, having both impressed in limited 2016 race starts. Enerson also has the familiarity of working with Coyne in his three races last season.

Neither has a full-time ride this year in open-wheel but have driven elsewhere, Brabham in Robby Gordon’s SPEED Energy Stadium Super Trucks and Enerson with PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports in IMSA.

Audi bids farewell to Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich upon retirement

Audi Sport
Leave a comment

Audi bid farewell to its iconic head of motorsport, Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, at its end-of-season ‘Race Night’ event in Germany on Friday upon his retirement.

Ullrich took over the reins as Audi’s head of motorsport in 1993 and stayed in the role for 23 years, overseeing its arrival in the prototype class of sports car racing and domination of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Ullrich stepped down from the position at the end of 2016, handing the reins over to ex-Audi DTM chief Dieter Gass, and attended his final racing event with the German marque at its first works Formula E outing in Hong Kong earlier this month.

Ullrich was honored at the Race Night event on Friday and thanked for his efforts in developing Audi into a force within global motorsport.

“In 566 factory-backed commitments during this period he celebrated 209 victories, 13 of them in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, eleven in the 12-hour race at Sebring and nine in the ‘Petit Le Mans’ at Road Atlanta,” a piece on Ullrich’s tenure for Audi’s website reads.

“31 driver titles in super touring car racing, in the DTM and in the sports prototype category are credited to him. 57 campaigners were Audi factory drivers during Wolfgang Ullrich’s era and he was responsible for 18 new developments of racing cars – an impressive tally.”