Hamilton: Soft Vettel penalty for Baku clash sets dangerous precedent

7 Comments

Lewis Hamilton feels that Sebastian Vettel’s 10-second stop/go penalty for dangerous driving during Sunday’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix sets a concerning precedent for Formula 1 and wider motorsport.

F1 title rivals Hamilton and Vettel came to blows before half-distance in Baku when running behind the safety car, the latter accusing his rival of brake testing him after bumping the rear of his car.

Vettel responded by moving alongside Hamilton and driving towards him, causing contact between the pair.

The stewards reacted by giving Vettel a 10-second stop/go penalty and three penalty points on his FIA super license, putting him just three away from a race ban.

Debate was rife in the paddock after the race regarding the incident, with Hamilton expressing his dismay over the penalty that was awarded amid calls from some corners for disqualification or a race ban.

“It definitely sets a precedent. It sets a precedent within Formula 1,” Hamilton told NBCSN after the race.

“I think it also does for all the young kids that are watching us Formula 1 drivers drive and conduct ourselves, they’ve seen today how a multiple four-time world champion behaves. Hopefully that doesn’t ripple into the younger categories.

“In terms of how things are penalized, how you can do something like that and still finish fourth, I think it’s… I don’t know.

“I’ve not really thought too much about it since. I just tried as hard as I could to get back up. It’s not a good day.”

Vettel ultimately finished the race fourth ahead of Hamilton in P5, the Briton being forced into a second unscheduled pit stop when the headrest in his Mercedes car came loose.

The German insisted after the race that he was unaware why he received the stop/go penalty, believing that Hamilton should have been sanctioned for brake testing him under the safety car.

“The leader dictates the pace, but we were exiting the corner, he was accelerating and then he braked so much that I was braking as soon as I saw but couldn’t stop in time and ran in the back of him,” Vettel told NBCSN.

“I think Formula 1 is for grown-ups. As I said, the maneuver before was not necessary and damaged my front wing, damaged also his rear as well I think a bit.

“I think it was not hte right way to do it, exiting the corner, accelerating and then braking. I don’t think there was any point of doing it.”

Audi bids farewell to Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich upon retirement

Audi Sport
Leave a comment

Audi bid farewell to its iconic head of motorsport, Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, at its end-of-season ‘Race Night’ event in Germany on Friday upon his retirement.

Ullrich took over the reins as Audi’s head of motorsport in 1993 and stayed in the role for 23 years, overseeing its arrival in the prototype class of sports car racing and domination of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Ullrich stepped down from the position at the end of 2016, handing the reins over to ex-Audi DTM chief Dieter Gass, and attended his final racing event with the German marque at its first works Formula E outing in Hong Kong earlier this month.

Ullrich was honored at the Race Night event on Friday and thanked for his efforts in developing Audi into a force within global motorsport.

“In 566 factory-backed commitments during this period he celebrated 209 victories, 13 of them in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, eleven in the 12-hour race at Sebring and nine in the ‘Petit Le Mans’ at Road Atlanta,” a piece on Ullrich’s tenure for Audi’s website reads.

“31 driver titles in super touring car racing, in the DTM and in the sports prototype category are credited to him. 57 campaigners were Audi factory drivers during Wolfgang Ullrich’s era and he was responsible for 18 new developments of racing cars – an impressive tally.”