Getty Images

Perez slams ‘useless’ penalty to Hulkenberg in Abu Dhabi

Leave a comment

Sergio Perez ended his 2017 Formula 1 season with another seventh place to bring his final season total up to 100 points, good for seventh place in the championship for Sahara Force India.

But ending seventh Sunday in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and behind Renault’s Nico Hulkenberg – who was penalized for passing Perez early in the race by going off track and gaining an advantage – left Perez bemused post-race.

Hulkenberg moved to the outside of Perez on the run off the second long straight going for seventh place, but was unable to complete the maneuver on the racing surface. The German promptly ran off course through the chicane, coming back on track ahead of Perez.

This netted Hulkenberg a five-second time penalty which he’d serve at his first pit stop, but even so Perez felt the penalty wasn’t severe enough for the infraction given Hulkenberg’s long-run pace in his Renault.

“It wasn’t the most exciting race for me, but I had a very busy first lap battling with Nico,” Perez told NBCSN post-race. “I think his penalty was very strange because I was ahead of him and he just cut the corner, gaining a big advantage and a position.

“He had more pace and in clean air he could just go and make up enough time to make the penalty useless.

“He should have just given up the position, as is required and as he did later in the race with Grosjean, and he would have had to overtake me on track.”

Hulkenberg, for his part, knew he had to push once past to ensure he’d built enough of a gap to overcome the ensuing penalty at the stop. The drama for him was extended when they had issues securing two tires on his car – but unlike teammate Carlos Sainz Jr., at least all four stayed on.

“Well I knew I had to have the five-second gap over Checo. When I started to realize the pit stop went long and trouble on rear left, then rear right, I started to sweat!” Hulkenberg told NBCSN.

“You push but there’s so little grip leaving pits. That was a little thriller! It was a very couple interesting laps to get past the Haas (Romain Grosjean), and I had Checo (Perez) waiting to take advantage. So it’s decent to end the season this way. It’s not amazing, but it’s good to have this in our pocket.”

Hulkenberg’s sixth place finish netted Renault sixth in the constructor’s championship while Perez and Esteban Ocon put Force India a clear best of the rest in fourth, for a second consecutive season.

Although Perez didn’t score a podium for the first time in four seasons with Force India (previously achieved them in 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix, 2015 Russian Grand Prix and 2016 Monaco and European Grands Prix), this marked his equal best championship finish of seventh and with only one point fewer scored this year than last, and Perez made an important point that that was with one fewer race.

“I am happy with the result today and it was important to finish this year strongly. It’s my first year at Force India without a podium, but I think we made a big step forward,” he said.

“I scored one point less than last year with just 20 races on the calendar instead of 21. The overall result is great: seventh in the drivers’ championship and fourth in the teams’ standings. I don’t think we could do anything better than that this year and I hope we can continue this way into 2018.”

BREAKING: John Force taken to hospital after Phoenix eliminations crash

Photo courtesy NHRA
Leave a comment

16-time NHRA Funny Car champ John Force has been taken to a local hospital for evaluation and examination following a wicked crash with fellow Funny Car driver Johnnie Lindberg.

The crash occurred during the quarterfinals of Sunday’s final eliminations in the NHRA Arizona Nationals at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park in suburban Phoenix.

Force was headed for a win when the engine on his Peak Chevrolet Camaro blew up just as it crossed the finish line, destroying the body. Lindberg, meanwhile, lost traction about one-third of the way down-track, but then got back into the gas to try and catch Force.

Force appeared to lose control of the body-less car and went across from the left lane he was in to the right-hand lane, where he hit the retaining wall in front of Lindberg.

Lindberg tried to avoid Force, but couldn’t. To make matters worse, the body on Lindberg’s car then came off and Force’s and Lindberg’s cars got tangled up in Lindberg’s parachute, sending both chassis’ into the left retaining wall.

Lindberg emerged from his Funny Car under his own power and was checked at the medical center before heading back to his pit.

Force, meanwhile, was helped out of his mangled wreck by the NHRA Safety Safari and was transported by ambulance to the hospital due to the severity of the impact.

Even though Force will be credited with the round win, he obviously will not be able to continue for the remainder of the eliminations.

To add insult to injury, NHRA officials charged Force with oiling down the racetrack, his third of the season in just the first two races. That will cost him 15 points in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series standings and a fine of $4,000.

Here are several posts from social media, including video of the incident from NHRA:

This is the second time Force has had an engine explode and the body blew off in the last two weeks. He also wrecked during the qualifying Feb. 9 for the season-opening Lucas Oil NHRA Winternationals in Pomona, California. Here’s the video of that wreck:

MORE: John Force taken to hospital as a precaution after Funny Car motor explodes.

We’ll update Force’s condition when it becomes available.

Follow @JerryBonkowski