daniil kvyat

Getty Images

Sainz: Silverstone crash with Kvyat ‘a killer’ for relationship at time

Leave a comment

Carlos Sainz Jr. feels the friction with Toro Rosso Formula 1 teammate Daniil Kvyat has been smoothed over following the crash during the British Grand Prix that was “a killer” for their relationship.

Kvyat crashed into Sainz on the first lap of the race at Silverstone, eliminating the Spaniard from the race, with both drivers pointing the finger at one another for causing the collision.

Kvyat said at the time that his relationship with Sainz had “never been fantastic”, but the pair have now apparently smoothed things over.

“In that very moment it sure was a killer. But time smooths things – the classic saying that time is a great healer,” Sainz told the official F1 website.

“After one or two weeks you are able to turn the page and stop thinking about it… at least it should work that way! We are both mature enough to be able to turn the page.

“We know each other very well and for many years – we had similar situations in lower categories. We move on to new shores.

“The team is doing its job by telling the two of us that they are not happy about it, and trying to make sure that it does not happen again. It is a situation that can happen once in a lifetime.

“It happened in Silverstone, and I hope that was my ‘one time’.”

Kvyat nears race ban after penalty for blocking Stroll

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Daniil Kvyat is now just two penalty points away from a Formula 1 race ban after being sanctioned by the stewards for blocking Lance Stroll during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Kvyat arrived in Hungary with nine penalty points on his FIA super license for various incidents over the past 12 months, only to receive another one after qualifying.

The Toro Rosso driver was adjudged to have impeded Stroll during a hot lap in Q1, prompting the stewards to also hand him a three-place grid penalty.

Kvyat will therefore start 16th in Hungary on Sunday, lifting Sergio Perez, Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen one place each on the grid.

With 10 points on his super license, Kvyat is now just two away from a race ban, and will remain so until the United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas this October.

“Unfortunately, I’ve been penalized with a three position grid penalty for tomorrow’s race, so I will now be starting from P16,” Kvyat said.

“There was a bit of a miscommunication, so I didn’t know that anyone was coming behind and we’ve now got a penalty for blocking another car…

“It’s a shame, because today had been quite a good day: our overall performance and my feeling with the car was okay, even if the balance changed a bit throughout the qualifying session. I just missed out on Q3 by a couple of tenths but we ended up more or less where we expected to be.

“My feeling with the car is quite good and now all I can hope for is a different type of race, an eventful one, otherwise it will be difficult to overtake here. We will obviously try and do our best, make our tyres last and see where we end up.”

The Hungarian Grand Prix is live on NBCSN and the NBC Sports app from 7am ET on Sunday.

Gasly insists he’s ready for F1 chance amid Toro Rosso speculation

Getty Images
Leave a comment

RED HOOK, NY – Pierre Gasly feels he is ready to step up to Formula 1 with Toro Rosso in the near future amid ongoing speculation about the Red Bull B-team’s driver plans for 2018.

Gasly won last year’s GP2 title before being sent to the Japanese Super Formula series by Red Bull for 2017 as it opted to continue with its existing Toro Rosso line-up of Carlos Sainz Jr. and Daniil Kvyat.

Despite Sainz’s reluctance to spend another year with Toro Rosso and ongoing questions about Kvyat’s future, recent reports have suggested Red Bull plans to keep both on for 2018.

Gasly remains relaxed about his future F1 chances, though, saying that things remain fluid and that nothing is official until it is announced.

“For me my target is still the same. At the moment nothing is signed in Toro Rosso,” Gasly told NBC Sports.

“Of course at the moment everyone is talking with everyone, and every week it’s changing. Until it will be official, I think everything is possible.

“Of course my targets stay the same after winning GP2 last year. I just feel like I am ready for F1. I will keep pushing until it happens.”

When asked if he would consider finding a drive outside of Red Bull’s umbrella for 2018 if no opportunity came, Gasly said: “At the moment I’m just focused on F1, and then after we will see in a couple of months what will happen for next year.”

Gasly made his Formula E debut in New York last weekend with Renault e.dams, deputizing for Sebastien Buemi, and recorded two top-10 finishes, including a run to fourth place on Sunday.

“It’s been really exciting, really busy as well since yesterday to learn all the procedures and get used to the car, it’s been a lot of hard work,” Gasly said of his debut outing.

“But I really enjoyed it overall. We managed to score points in both races, we managed to go into Super Pole this morning with the fastest lap of the weekend.

“It’s been really positive with close racing on-track. Both races were good fun. It’s been a good experience.”

Kvyat: Trust with Red Bull almost like ‘the good old days’

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Daniil Kvyat is confident of securing a contract extension with Toro Rosso for the 2018 Formula 1 season, believing that his level of trust with team owner Red Bull is “coming back to the level of the good old days”.

Kvyat raced for Red Bull for just one full season before being demoted to Toro Rosso after four races in 2016, switching seats with Max Verstappen.

The Russian was retained for 2017 alongside Carlos Sainz Jr., and could be set to stay on for next season after multiple reports following the Austrian Grand Prix stated that an announcement was near.

When asked by NBCSN if a deal for 2018 had been sewn up, Kvyat remained coy, but added he sees no reason to break the existing partnership.

“I think it’s never official until it’s official, no?” Kvyat said.

“I think our common trust between myself and Red Bull company and its bosses is coming back to the level of the good old days.

“I don’t see any point when they feel comfortable with me and I feel comfortable with them not to continue our collaboration.

“It’s a place for patient people here. I’m happy to be patient with them because it’s always a good place to be, and they invested a lot in my career.

“I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t want to collaborate with them.”

Late-race attrition adds twist to Monaco GP, six cars out in 20 laps (VIDEOS)

Leave a comment

Sebastian Vettel may have looked calm on the podium after clinching victory in Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix, but some late-race drama caused by cars further back had put him under far greater pressure in the closing stages.

Vettel leapfrogged Ferrari teammate Kimi Raikkonen through the pit stops to take the lead of the race at half distance before surging 10 seconds clear.

However, Vettel’s lead was wiped away when the safety car was deployed following a clash between Jenson Button and Pascal Wehrlein at Portier, one of the tightest parts of the circuit.

Battling for 18th place, Button tried diving down the inside of Wehrlein, only for the pair to knock wheels and the German’s Sauber to tip in the air, coming to rest at a 90-degree angle up against the wall.

The incident sparked concern among the passing drivers, but Wehrlein soon reported to his team that he was OK, and simply could not get out of his car due to the position of the wall.

The Monegasque marshals were quick to come to Wehrlein’s aid and right his car before sending him off to the medical center for a check-up.

The incident acted as the first in a string of late drama that saw six cars drop out in the close 21 laps, with the safety car bunching the field and resulting in some desperate moves.

The next retirement came courtesy of Marcus Ericsson in one of the more embarrassing mistakes you will see in F1 this year as he crashed behind the safety car.

As a lapped car, Ericsson was given the wave-by to pass the safety car and try to unlap himself, only to duff his Sauber into the wall at Turn 1 in the process.

Turn 1 would claim another victim on the restart when Stoffel Vandoorne threw away McLaren’s chance to score its first points of the year. As Sergio Perez made a divebomb move up the inside, Vandoorne was unable to slow on the marbles and careered straight into the barrier, bringing his race to an end.

Perez continued to charge after passing Vandoorne, making an opportunistic move on Daniil Kvyat through La Rascasse. The pair made contact, leaving a hole in Kvyat’s sidepod and forcing the Russian driver to park up at Casino Square.

The final casualty of the race was Lance Stroll, who after reporting concerns with his brakes was seen being parked up in his garage with seven laps to go, extending the Canadian’s point-less start to life in F1.