BIRMINGHAM, UK – British Racing Drivers’ Club (BRDC) president Derek Warwick has confirmed that discussions are underway with UK parliament regarding financial aid for the annual Formula 1 race at Silverstone.
A leaked letter from BRDC chairman John Grant revealed last week that Silverstone is considering dropping the British Grand Prix after 2019 due to “ruinous” costs.
The track has a break clause in its F1 contract that would need to be triggered before the 2017 race, set to take place in July.
Concerns have been raised about the future of one of F1’s oldest races as a result, with alternative venues such as Donington Park and Brands Hatch seeming unviable.
Speaking at Autosport International in Birmingham, England on Friday, Warwick expressed his confidence that the race would continue after 2019.
“I have just got a feeling that we can’t do without the British Grand Prix, we can’t do without Silverstone, so some compromise will be made,” Warwick said.
“Either with Bernie [Ecclestone] or the new people that are now taking over, which is Liberty. We have had meetings with Liberty and Chase Carey, he understands our dilemma. We understand he still has to make money because that’s what these guys are doing.
“There is light at the end of the tunnel, we will have grands prix past 2019.”
Warwick also revealed that the BRDC is talking with the British government regarding financial aid for the race, as enjoyed by a number of other F1 events across the world.
“We’re talking to government to see if there is any help there,” Warwick said.
“Even Bernie is calling us and saying: ‘Let’s set up a meeting and we’ll talk about it’.
“We are feeling very positive at the minute.”