Williams

Getty Images

Di Resta pleased with F1 comeback display despite retirement

Leave a comment

Paul di Resta was content with his performance in Sunday’s Hungarian Grand Prix after being handed a shock Formula 1 comeback on short notice by Williams.

Di Resta was drafted in to replace the unwell Felipe Massa at the Hungaroring after FP3 on Saturday, the Scotsman heading out in a 2017-spec car for the very first time in qualifying.

Starting 19th, di Resta spent the entirety of his race running at the back of the field before being forced to retire due to an oil leak later on his car, but he nevertheless enjoyed his maiden F1 outing in over three years.

“It was obviously a very exciting day, but it was a very difficult day as well,” di Resta said. “Jumping straight in the car with no experience of the different tire compounds or running on high fuel. I wasn’t sure what to expect so I went in with an open mind.

“You have to be very aware of the space around you, and how much downforce you lose when there’s traffic around you. So I was cautious and just wanted to keep my nose clean.

“We went a different way on strategy, but the biggest thing for me was just gaining the confidence as the runs went on and I was feeling more comfortable with the car.

“It would have been nice to finish, without the oil leak. But overall I’m not too dissatisfied with where I was given how little running I’d had.”

Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe added: “Paul, considering the circumstances, drove a great race with good consistency and stayed out of trouble.

“But unfortunately what appears to be an oil leak developed, as we were seeing an escalation in oil consumption so we decided to retire the car before the engine was in danger of losing oil pressure.

“So it’s a great shame for Paul, considering his fantastic response to our urgent need yesterday. We’re sorry not to give him a car that could get him to the finish.”

Super-sub di Resta impresses on F1 comeback in Hungary qualifying

Getty Images
Leave a comment

At 5am, Paul di Resta was already wide awake, ironing his shirt ahead of his planned commentary duties on British TV for Formula 1 qualifying in Hungary.

Ten hours later, the Scot had emerged as an unlikely star of the very session he was due to be recapping after being drafted in to replace the unwell Felipe Massa at Williams.

When Massa came down sick midway through FP3 on Saturday morning, Williams was quick to call on reserve driver di Resta to step up and enter the rest of the race weekend, marking his first F1 appearance since the 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix.

Despite having never driven the 2017 Williams FW40 car before, di Resta put in an impressive display to not only finish well inside the 107 per cent time required but even qualify ahead of Sauber’s Marcus Ericsson.

Di Resta lapped eight-tenths of a second off regular Williams racer Lance Stroll, completing a display that left the entire paddock impressed.

“I’m super happy with what we’ve accomplished as I never would have expected it, to be so close and equally be as comfortable with it,” di Resta told NBCSN.

“I’d only sat in a mockup until this morning, done an extraction test just to make sure I could get out of the car in time, and honestly everyone at Williams has been great. I’d been the test driver for the last year and a half hoping like something this arises.

“I was nervous, anxious, scared to get in the car this morning to be honest, because on a grand prix weekend before the summer break, everyone is on top of their game. There’s nowhere to hide.”

One of the biggest challenges di Resta faced was getting to grips with the 2017-spec F1 car, which is radically different from anything he has previously raced.

“I’d done 10 laps in a 2014 car earlier this year but by all means I’ve not driven a proper car since 2013. So nothing shocks me or scares me,” di Resta said.

“In the simulator at Barcelona, I thought: ‘These are a bit extreme’. It’s never easy to jump in straight away especially using Felipe’s settings, steering and position, but that’s the job. That’s the task.”

Di Resta will take the start in Hungary from 19th on the grid tomorrow, the race live on NBCSN and the NBC Sports app from 7am ET.

Di Resta to make shock F1 return in Hungary, replacing unwell Massa

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Paul di Resta will make a shock return to Formula 1 race action this weekend in Hungary, replacing Felipe Massa at Williams after the Brazilian was taken unwell.

Massa first showed signs of illness on Friday, visiting the local hospital in Budapest as a precaution before being given the go-ahead to take part in practice on Saturday morning.

Massa completed just 12 laps before coming into the garage and stopping, with doctors then reviewing him a second time and ruling him out.

This means di Resta, who has not started an F1 race in over three years and has never driven Williams’ 2017 car, will make a surprise return in qualifying and the race.

“After feeling unwell during practice in Budapest on Friday and Saturday, Felipe Massa will not drive for the remainder of the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend,” a statement from Williams reads.

“Felipe visited the medical centre and the MH EK Honvedkorhaz hospital for precautionary tests on Friday, after feeling unwell and dizzy during FP2.

“He was cleared to take part in Saturday’s practice session by the FIA medical delegate, but he felt unwell again during FP3 and has made the decision to withdraw from the weekend.

“Williams supports Felipe’s decision and the team will work with him to ensure he makes a full recovery, with a view to return to the race track for the Belgian Grand Prix.

“Following this decision, the team’s Reserve Driver Paul di Resta will drive alongside Lance Stroll for the remainder of the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend.”

More to follow.

Massa cleared for Hungary FP3 despite Friday hospital visit

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Felipe Massa received late clearance to take part in Saturday’s final Formula 1 practice session for the Hungarian Grand Prix after a visit to hospital on Friday.

Massa was taken to the local hospital in Budapest following second practice at the Hungaroring after feeling unwell, putting his participation in the rest of the weekend for Williams in doubt.

The Brazilian was ultimately cleared by the FIA medical delegate, allowing him to take part in FP3 on Saturday morning, but he will be subject to another check-up ahead of qualifying.

Stroll: Baku F1 podium ‘proves I can be here’

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lance Stroll is pleased to have answered his critics with his recent Formula 1 displays, believing his podium finish in the Azerbaijan Grand Prix proves he deserves his place on the grid.

Stroll, 18, stepped up to F1 from Formula 3 with Williams for 2017, aided by financial support from his billionaire father, Lawrence.

Stroll had a rough start to life in F1, failing to finish any of his first three races or score points until the seventh race of the year in Canada.

This kick-started a three-race run in the points for Stroll, the highlight being a charge to third place in Baku after rising through the order in a frenetic race.

Speaking to the official F1 website, Stroll said the timing of his points finish in Canada was of little consideration to him, having always had confidence in his own ability.

“If it comes earlier or later, you almost cannot influence it. But I knew that I was capable of doing results so I wasn’t panicking,” Stroll said.

“I knew that it was all a matter of time. But to really do it in Canada, that was great. A great day, the home race.

“It is much more about other things [than confidence]: me improving the way I drive or me working with the team. We have changed a lot on the car since Baku and that helped me a lot in my performance.”

The result saw Stroll become the second-youngest podium finisher in F1 history, only trailing Max Verstappen and sitting ahead of the likes of Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel.

“It proves that I can be here!” Stroll said. “I did it with a Williams, not a Mercedes!”