Michael Andretti already thinking about home win at Pocono

Leave a comment

The IZOD IndyCar Series won’t make its inaugural visit to the 2.5-mile Pocono Raceway until July, but that’s not stopping IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti from thinking about settling unfinished business at the “Tricky Triangle.”

“That’s one race I never won,” he told Chuck Curley of the Evening Sun of Hanover, Pennsylvania late last week. “It really ticks me off, to be honest with you. I should have won a couple of times, but I just had bad luck.”

The son of Mario made six starts at Pocono in his driving career, but was unable to take the checkered flag at the Pennsylvania oval. However, he’ll have four chances to finally earn a Pocono win this summer through his Andretti Autosport driving roster of reigning series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay, James Hinchcliffe, Marco Andretti and E.J. Viso.

With the quirky mile at Nazareth Speedway now returning to the Earth, Pocono represents the new home turf for the Andrettis — and as any athlete will tell you, there’s nothing better than a big win at home.

As for his team’s expansion to a four-car program with the addition of Viso, Andretti is hopeful that the move will pay off.

“I think, also adding E.J., we’re going to have another shot at winning races,” he also said to the Evening Sun. “He’s a guy that’s ready to break out. He’s shown he can be very quick, but hopefully in the right situation, he can really show what he has. We’re going to give him that.”

Last October’s announcement of the Pocono round was met with largely positive response and will revive the track’s past links to open-wheel racing. Pocono hosted USAC and CART events from 1971 to 1989, with winners in that run including legends such as A.J. Foyt, Rick Mears, Al Unser Sr., Mark Donahue and Johnny Rutherford.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.